Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #211
Angelman
HackMaster

It is actually not a bad idea...
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #212
X-human
I ate my keys

I don't think Don has any rights to screen the footage though. This certainly goes well beyond fair use. Yes he owns the physical footage but that does not include any rights to distribute what is someone else's intellectual property.

So you can give Don all the money you want for a restoration but you're not going to see a frame of it until the rights owners say so. Someone, I'm sure, can correct me if I'm wrong.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #213
SynapseFilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
I don't think Don has any rights to screen the footage though. This certainly goes well beyond fair use. Yes he owns the physical footage but that does not include any rights to distribute what is someone else's intellectual property.

So you can give Don all the money you want for a restoration but you're not going to see a frame of it until the rights owners say so. Someone, I'm sure, can correct me if I'm wrong.
I could invite all the "investors" over to my house to watch it all, though... I'd most definitely need a bigger house. Haha!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #214
Mattapooh
Maniac

Assuming you go so far as to set up a Paypal account, get everything transferred, buy a bigger house AND show the footage, I have one further question:

Will there be pie?
Mattapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #215
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynapseFilms View Post
I could invite all the "investors" over to my house to watch it all, though... I'd most definitely need a bigger house. Haha!
Wouldn't you also need to send out screener DVDs to your investors so that they're able to see the progress of their investment? Clearly they have a right to see where all their had earned money's going!

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:42 AM   #216
Odin

Quote:
ArrowBeach... We have all the negative trims, outtakes and bloopers from the original negatives...

The negatives that we have are all the shots that were NEVER used... all the outtakes, different shots/scenes, deleted stuff and bloopers. We basically have all the camera negatives for all the scenes shot for the entire film. There is a camera negative for HALLOWEEN that the studio has... but our negatives are all the material that was discarded and not edited into the finished feature, so we would have scenes, shots and alternate takes that no one has seen in 30+ years.

After getting the materials, I called editor Tommy Lee Wallace, and he told me all kinds of stuff that didn't make it into the movie and, he says, we probably have it all. Like, in the "clothesline" sequence, for example... Carpenter shot it a totally different way at first and didn't like the way it came out, so he shot it again differently and that's the way it appears in the film. We probably have the original version. Also, Wallace, says, contrary to both the novelization and the scripts that are available... they DIDN'T have Michael live originally. They killed him... for good... Only a few days after shooting wrapped, over some beers, did Carpenter decide to reshoot the ending and have him live. Wallace was floored at the prospect of us possibly having the original "Michael dies" ending in all our boxes.

So, we possibly have a treasure trove of unseen material.
wow...i think there would be a HUGE interest in seeing all this!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #217
Fall Break
Stalker

I haven't seen CodeRed post in a while...whats up with that?
Fall Break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #218
Body Boy
HackMaster

Perhaps they didn't like being asked so many questions. Haha. The same thing happened at the 'old' retro slashers board. I asked them if they could release Night Warning, and they tried telling me it wasn't a slasher. Then someone got behind me, and we started begging...then they left the board...lol...and two months later, Night Warning is announced for DVD. >.> A small price to pay, I say.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:01 AM   #219
rhett

Quote:
ArrowBeach... We have all the negative trims, outtakes and bloopers from the original negatives...

The negatives that we have are all the shots that were NEVER used... all the outtakes, different shots/scenes, deleted stuff and bloopers. We basically have all the camera negatives for all the scenes shot for the entire film. There is a camera negative for HALLOWEEN that the studio has... but our negatives are all the material that was discarded and not edited into the finished feature, so we would have scenes, shots and alternate takes that no one has seen in 30+ years.

After getting the materials, I called editor Tommy Lee Wallace, and he told me all kinds of stuff that didn't make it into the movie and, he says, we probably have it all. Like, in the "clothesline" sequence, for example... Carpenter shot it a totally different way at first and didn't like the way it came out, so he shot it again differently and that's the way it appears in the film. We probably have the original version. Also, Wallace, says, contrary to both the novelization and the scripts that are available... they DIDN'T have Michael live originally. They killed him... for good... Only a few days after shooting wrapped, over some beers, did Carpenter decide to reshoot the ending and have him live. Wallace was floored at the prospect of us possibly having the original "Michael dies" ending in all our boxes.

So, we possibly have a treasure trove of unseen material.
I'm just wondering why, then Don, have you not investigated it further to see what you've got? Make some splices, throw it up on a 35mm projector after hours and do some poor man's telecine on it just to check out what the positive would look like. This is potential holy grail footage here, I can't understand why you haven't pushed to explore it further after all this time.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:29 AM   #220
killit
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
I'm just wondering why, then Don, have you not investigated it further to see what you've got? Make some splices, throw it up on a 35mm projector after hours and do some poor man's telecine on it just to check out what the positive would look like. This is potential holy grail footage here, I can't understand why you haven't pushed to explore it further after all this time.
I don't think you can project a negative, and he probably wouldnt want to run the negative in any old projector even if he could. Best he make friends with a dude in a post house and have him do a cheap real telecine after hours like I did.
killit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #221
Cujo108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Perhaps they didn't like being asked so many questions. Haha. The same thing happened at the 'old' retro slashers board. I asked them if they could release Night Warning, and they tried telling me it wasn't a slasher. Then someone got behind me, and we started begging...then they left the board...lol...and two months later, Night Warning is announced for DVD. >.> A small price to pay, I say.
I actually have to agree that it's not a slasher. Terrific film, but to me, it just doesn't fit the slasher archetype.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #222
rot
Screamy Bopper

deleted...

Last edited by rot; 02-18-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: had to delete
rot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #223
SynapseFilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by killit View Post
I don't think you can project a negative, and he probably wouldnt want to run the negative in any old projector even if he could. Best he make friends with a dude in a post house and have him do a cheap real telecine after hours like I did.
I wouldn't run it through a projector because I wouldn't want to ruin anything. It's negative, not print material.

But, running it in a post house would take hours and hours of time (we're talking thousands of feet of film here, folks) and I don't want to pay out of pocket to look at it. There's prep, cleaning, splicing, logging and transferring involved. Wanna send me a check for a few grand and come on over? Then we'll reach in those boxes like we're bobbing for apples and pull random stuff out and look! I did grab a tiny reel and ship it to LA when I was doing a transfer last year, just to look at it, and it was a blooper with Nancy Loomis and Kyle Richards in the laundry room. Nancy is stuck in the window and Kyle didn't quite know how she was supposed to act to help the actress get "unstuck" from the window, so she just tries, fails, turns to the camera and shrugs.

Last edited by SynapseFilms; 02-18-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #224
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

^ Cool! Don, you get in there and get your hands dirty
Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 AM   #225
SickNick89
Stalker

Seriously, If I were Paris Hilton rich I would cut that check for restoration in a heartbeat. I'm not kidding.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote