Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #2551
Suicide
Space Bastard!

I'm all for supporting the companies directly, but for me personally my job kind of sucks and sadly $20 plus a few dollars for shipping for one movie is a lot for me for something I don't actually need to buy. For example, I really enjoyed Retribution but $23.50 for it is a bit over what I can pay for it no matter how much I would like to buy it.

I might drop some money on Nail Gun Massacre though, that movie blows so much that it's fascinating. I just watched it for the first time a month or two ago and I thought about it for a week afterwards. It's awful but it really stuck with me for some reason, I think about those kids cooking spaghetti-o's in a frying pan every time I see them in a store.

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #2552
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
As much as I enjoyed THE BABYSITTER, I don't feel like $40 was a good value for it and THE PEOPLE WHO OWN THE DARK.
Are you out of your mind? Seriously? The Babysitter double features is 16.99$ and The People Who Own the Dark is 18.99$, not even half of the stupid price you list... Seriously sometimes people talk crap just for the hell of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
In this day and age 20$ is nothing for a DVD???
As I said, you find it too high don't buy... nobody force you to buy anything and none of the DVD that Bill sell directly were 20$ anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
I just wish people would stop asking about certain titles like The Mutilator or Night Warning whenever Bill gives a Code Red update.
Exactly, if a movie don't come out it's for good reasons. Every labels had movies they can't release for whatever reasons, that suck but that's life...

Last edited by Jimmy S; 11-15-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #2553
Suicide
Space Bastard!

Actually it's $42 for the Babysitter and The People Who Own The Dark with shipping, I think you misread the sentence.

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #2554
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide View Post
I'm all for supporting the companies directly, but for me personally my job kind of sucks and sadly $20 plus a few dollars for shipping for one movie is a lot for me for something I don't actually need to buy. For example, I really enjoyed Retribution but $23.50 for it is a bit over what I can pay for it no matter how much I would like to buy it.
Hey man, no shame in that. I guess I do see a legitimate complaint in that regard.

I myself have been a little bit more choosy when it comes to Code Red titles as of late. Not only because of the cost, but because some of the titles aren't that great.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #2555
Jimmy S
Stalker

Actually he didn't talk about the shipping in his post, also that had nothing to do with the price of a DVD and the shipping for one DVD is only 4.50$ for my country and 6.50$ for two. Prices who are in my book some of the most reasonable shipping cost I've seen between our two country... Just try ordering from Shout! Factory if you aren't from the US and you'll see what are high cost.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #2556
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
Are you out of your mind? Seriously? The Babysitter double features is 16.99$ and The People Who Own the Dark is 18.99$, not even half of the stupid price you list... Seriously sometimes people talk crap just for the hell of it...
The total for my order was $40. Pull your head out of your rear-end before you "talk crap".

We are giving common sense reasons on why we feel Bill is overcharging. So calm the "ef" down and get off your high horse.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #2557
spawningblue
Deadite

There's some titles I'm really interested in in that list, and it looks like more then a few could go Blu since he mentions HD scan for quite a few of them. Glad to see Code Red going Blu as it's hard spending $20 on a DVD these days when I can get a SE Blu Ray of a better film from Scream Factory for the same price. If the Blurays are not much more I'm definitely down. Hopefully Just Before Dawn is the uncut version as I know the Synapse DVD was missing a scene or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Yeah, he had the same old rant bringing up Nightmare again when he announced the Madman re-release a few days ago. The thing about the Nightmare scenario is that the first printing sold out as did the second printing. In a span of months. Now it's completely sold out. And he bitches that it didn't sell enough.

I look at Beyond the Door and Dead Pit still sitting around and I'll agree with him overall that his stuff doesn't sell well enough. But Nightmare sold well enough and sold out. Stop bringing it up.
Man I wish he would re-release Nightmare. That is one title that I would pay $20 on DVD for, though a Blu would be even better! I didn't have money when it was first released and it seemed to disappear quickly. He has re-released just about everything else, why not that film as I'm sure they would sell out again?

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 11-15-2012 at 05:38 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #2558
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Man I wish he would re-release Nightmare. That is one title that I would pay $20 on DVD for, though a Blu would be even better! I didn't have money when it was first released and it seemed to disappear quickly. He has re-released just about everything else, why not that film as I'm sure they would sell out again?
Because it's Bill. While he may do this subconsciously, he purposely creates his own problems so he has something to whine about.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #2559
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I was really close to buying some movies from them but there is just no way I can justify paying $20 bucks plus shipping for a standard DVD in 2012. I'm all about supporting the little guys but damn.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #2560
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
The total for my order was $40. Pull your head out of your rear-end before you "talk crap".

We are giving common sense reasons on why we feel Bill is overcharging. So calm the "ef" down and get off your high horse.
but this is kind of dishonest if you talk about an order with multiple DVDs when we talk of the price of a single DVD...

But if you want to play that game this is fine, so I'll compare an order for two DVDs from two differents labels.

First one from Code Red
Two DVDs at 19.99$ shipping included to Canada cost $46.48
Two DVDs at 19.99$ shipping included to the US cost $44.98

Second one from Shout! Factory

Two DVDs at 19.99$ shipping included to Canada cost $69.97
Two DVDs at 19.99$ shipping included to the US cost $$46.97

See at least be honest, in the two exemples with the same shipping option Shout! Factory cost more than Code Red.

Honestly doesn't make me react, but writing lies easy to disprove does...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #2561
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
but this is kind of dishonest if you talk about an order with multiple DVDs when we talk of the price of a single DVD...

But if you want to play that game this is fine, so I'll compare an order for two DVDs from two differents labels.

First one from Code Red
Two DVDs at 19.99$ shipping included to Canada cost $46.48
Two DVDs at 19.99$ shipping included to the US cost $44.98

Second one from Shout! Factory

Two DVDs at 19.99$ shipping included to Canada cost $69.97
Two DVDs at 19.99$ shipping included to the US cost $$46.97

See at least be honest, in the two exemples with the same shipping option Shout! Factory cost more than Code Red.

Honestly doesn't make me react, but writing lies easy to disprove does...

Anyone with common sense knows I wasn't being dishonest.

Demonizing Shout Factory is not a valid defense for Code Red. They are not Code Red's only contemporary to which we can draw comparisons to. And considering the few titles in the Shout Select line, it is disingenuous. Even worse, you cherry picked one of the very few scenarios that can validate your weak argument.

So Mr Simmard. You get run out of AVManiacs and now decide to bring your cancerous trolling to the fine folks at Horror Digital. I hope you guys are ready for this thread to be completely dominated and derailed by a raving lunatic.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #2562
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Anyone with common sense knows I wasn't being dishonest.

Demonizing Shout Factory is not a valid defense for Code Red. They are not Code Red's only contemporary to which we can draw comparisons to. And considering the few titles in the Shout Select line, it is disingenuous. Even worse, you cherry picked one of the very few scenarios that can validate your weak argument.

So Mr Simmard. You get run out of AVManiacs and now decide to bring your cancerous trolling to the fine folks at Horror Digital. I hope you guys are ready for this thread to be completely dominated and derailed by a raving lunatic.
I agree with Crikan on this one, for the simple fact that most of Shout Factory's output is readily available at DeepDiscount, Amazon and even most chain stores like Best Buy and HMV, at least in Canada. At least with Shout!, one is given the option to comparison shop.
What Code Red has accomplished based on the evidence of this thread is build themselves into a nice monopoly for niche titles where the consumer has no other choice but to deal with them and is at their mercy as is the case with the member who is on their blacklist now and can no longer get their titles.
There's really no comparison or argument here.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #2563
Jimmy S
Stalker

Not really tried to demonize one label or another as I've stated facts by using two exemple that's all.... I've used Shout! because they sell exclusive wich is kind of the same thing and as the price were the same it made the comparaison easier. If you think I'm here for a fight you are wrong and you'll be deceived, but you can believe what you want.

Anyway it isn't hard to see if I search fight on forum as I use always my real name.

BTW I left DVDmaniacs volontary, nobody run me out. But again you are free to believe what you want (but I give you a hint to help you, you won't see ban or guest under my name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
(...) Shout Factory's output is readily available at DeepDiscount, Amazon and even most chain stores like Best Buy and HMV, at least in Canada.
Of course I agree with you, this is why I've use the Shout! Select titles and not the regular releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
(...) as is the case with the member who is on their blacklist now and can no longer get their titles.
He can always get them via the_exterminator at Amazon marketplace, sure the cost is higher for us Canadians but it's a way to get the title without dealing directly with Code Red.

Last edited by Jimmy S; 11-15-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #2564
DEEPESTBLACK
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
I'd be interested to see what the deal is with Nail Gun Massacre. Did Synapse pass on it? I'm glad Code Red's picked it up but something's up with that. Another Deadly Spawn situation?
It wasn't offered to them.
DEEPESTBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #2565
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
As I said, you find it too high don't buy... nobody force you to buy anything and none of the DVD that Bill sell directly were 20$ anyway.
Man, we are here to show our opinion of things... just that.

Since when do someone feels the need to justify their point of view saying "find it too high don't buy... nobody force you to buy anything".

I stated my opinion and didn´t throw nothing at you...

That´s almost like making some remark about black people and all of the sudden we´re racists... Jesus!
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote