Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #2761
booper71
HackMaster

Evilspeak! and after that the great character actor continued to get some lead roles but after the Ice Cream Man he sort of stayed way in the background, even in the lesser roles he has more acting chops than his brother.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #2762
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Hell yeah about Evilspeak!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #2763
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
someone posted on facebook that Code Red is releasing EvilSpeak? No idea how legit the information is. the AB dvd has been OOP for a while, hasn't it?
He's saying it will be superior to the old AB release:

"UNCUT, mastered in HiDef! Not the same garbage master than Anchor Bay release which put together prints. this is clean 35mm IP + all new interviews and brand new audio commentary!"

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #2764
dickieduvet
Maniac

An Evilspeak Blu-Ray was announced a short while ago, Can't remember who from though. Pretty sure it was Scorpion!

Perhaps Walter has passed it onto Bill for DVD only then.
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #2765
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieduvet View Post
An Evilspeak Blu-Ray was announced a short while ago, Can't remember who from though. Pretty sure it was Scorpion!

Perhaps Walter has passed it onto Bill for DVD only then.
That could be right. I think it's Savage Streets that's just the opposite...DVD rights are with Scorpion, and Blu-ray are with Code Red.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #2766
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

I haven't watched my EVILSPEAK DVD in a while but I don't remember anything subpar about the transfer. I was also under the impression that most of Anchor Bay's DVDs contained uncut versions whenever possible. The film never became a personal favorite so I'm unsure about upgrading to another DVD just for a slightly better transfer. A really good incentive to get me to buy this again would be a shiny new Blu-ray.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #2767
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
I was also under the impression that most of Anchor Bay's DVDs contained uncut versions whenever possible.
Evilspeak was the rare exception. They released a longer version overseas.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #2768
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
I haven't watched my EVILSPEAK DVD in a while but I don't remember anything subpar about the transfer. I was also under the impression that most of Anchor Bay's DVDs contained uncut versions whenever possible.
Depends on what you consider uncut. The original U.S. theatrical and video releases were censored for an "R" rating, eliminating a lot of the bloody payoffs. The uncensored version was available in most other countries, and this is what Anchor Bay released on DVD. They were unable to find good elements for one particular shot of a pig pulling entrails from a woman's belly, so it was composited into the master using my old French-Canadian VHS. The rest of the head-lopping, heart-ripping gore looked as good as the feature presentation. In my mind this is the best version, and if memory serves this is the one the director considers his. Having said that, the UK VHS somehow had quite a few extended dialogue scenes compared to this version. Rumors are that release may have been sourced from an earlier workprint. Anchor Bay UK found the old tape master for this and created a composite, adding these dialogue scenes back into the feature. To me, they slow the pace down and would be better served as deleted scenes, but whatevs. (All this information is going from decade-old memories, so if anything's a little off, sorry!)

Quote:
I'm unsure about upgrading to another DVD just for a slightly better transfer. A really good incentive to get me to buy this again would be a shiny new Blu-ray.
Agreed 100%!
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #2769
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Weekend Murders, Sole Survivor, Jocks and Rituals are back on the big cartel site.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #2770
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
Weekend Murders, Sole Survivor, Jocks and Rituals are back on the big cartel site.
Jocks / Classroom Teachers is a brand new DVD release though...

Damn, when is he gonna get Working Girls or Pets again? Those are the two I wanna buy!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #2771
Ptflea2
Maniac

Soul Survivor is real tempting......
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #2772
Demoni
HackMaster

So, "Madman" Bill states that Code Redīs Evilspeak will not be "the same garbage master" used by Anchor Bay, but superior and mastered in HD.

After the fiasco the was the master used for Madman, when compared to the one used by Anchor Bay, I cannot believe him. I believe that in their Madman release, the only "superior" thing, besides the extras, was the "fiasco" of the print that was used.

The 2 disk Anchor Bay R2 DVD, although out-of-print, is still very cheap to buy, new or used...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evilspeak-DV...ords=evilspeak

Disc 1:
- "Shorter US version" (89 min)
- Audio commentary with Eric Weston, Clint Howard, Wally Lewis
- Theatrical trailer
- Poster and Stills Gallery
- Cast & crew biographies and filmographies
- Production notes

Disc 2:
- "Extended version" (99 min)

When originally released in the UK, the film contained 10 more minutes of footage than the US version. This release contains both cuts of the film. The additional 10 minutes of footage (in the "Extended version") is from the digi-beta master.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #2773
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
After the fiasco the was the master used for Madman, when compared to the one used by Anchor Bay, I cannot believe him. I believe that in their Madman release, the only "superior" thing, besides the extras, was the "fiasco" of the print that was used.
I actually prefer the unfiltered version of Madman. It takes place in November, and the reds and browns really enhance the fall atmosphere. The Code Red disc is great, and definitely worth the money.

If I'm not mistaken, the producer insisted they use that version. It's the same version that had been airing on IFC for years prior to the Code Red DVD. I remember reading that the producer had a few other strange demands (which is the reason why Synapse and a few other companies passed on releasing it). I'm glad that didn't deter Code Red, because I'm really happy to have that disc in my collection. It would have probably remained out-of-print otherwise.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #2774
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I actually prefer the unfiltered version of Madman. It takes place in November, and the reds and browns really enhance the fall atmosphere. The Code Red disc is great, and definitely worth the money.
The blue/brown filter thing is a thing of personal taste, but I prefer it blue. Although you make notice of some strong arguments regarding your taste, for me, the night is still blueish all year long. Sure, the use of some brown motif works best on some scenes but I actually prefer the overall of the blue print.

Although the blue/brown filter debate is a matter of personal taste, my use of the word "fiasco" was regarding the print itself... extreme lack of definition when compared to the one released by Anchor Bar many years before. Code Redīs print might be struck from and HD master, but the conversion used for the DVD just ruined everything.

When compared both print, I sincerely donīt believe anyone can call that HD... And besides that, anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic, and still, the Anchor Bay version wins by a large margin.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #2775
f.ramses
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Damn, when is he gonna get Working Girls or Pets again?
I don't know about Working Girls but Bill told me that we will not see Pets again, he says he will not repress it because it was a limited edition of 1500 that took forever to sell out. Really wish there was another edition of this one somewhere out there.