Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #3271
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I received mine in the mail earlier today too...

The theatrical cut looks great in HD. The Extended Cut (a full 12 minutes longer) looks pretty rough, but it's nice to have.

It's great that Bill is using lossless audio on the Blu-rays also.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #3272
gobad2003
Stalker

Just got both of mine today Yipee!! Can't wait to check these out, Nice to see Code Red going Blu awesome!
gobad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #3273
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Sweet Sixteen, Neon Maniacs, and so much more coming to Blu thanks to Code Red!:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/719...#axzz2jvx3CZIV

"Code Red has been going “code blue” of late, releasing the likes of Nail Gun Massacre and Just Before Dawn on Blu-ray. We now know of seven more forthcoming Blu horror titles from the 70s, 80s, and 90s they have in the works to further empty your wallets in the coming year.

We haven’t come across any official word from Code Red regarding these newest offerings so it may be that Blu-ray.com let the proverbial cat out of the bag by listing these titles for future release the other day. In any event, here are the details:

First up, for the first time ever, a director’s cut of Jim “Forced Entry” Sotos’ 1983 chiller Sweet Sixteen, starring the all-star cast of Aleisha Shirley, Don Stroud, Bo Hopkins, Dana Kimmell, Patrick Macnee, Susan Strasberg, Larry Storch, Henry Wilcoxon, and Michael Pataki.

SWEET SIXTEEN (1983) - When Melissa Morgan (Aleisha Shirley), a gorgeous big city girl, moves to a small Texas town, she creates quite a stir with her beauty and promiscuous attitude. She might be 15 going on 25, but all the boys at her new school are still anxious to get to know her. Shortly after her arrival, Melissa's dates start ending up dead. When the younger brother of a local hell raiser (Don Stroud) ends up dead, Melissa looks like the likely suspect. The town Sheriff (Bo Hopkins) must try to solve the killings before the killer strikes again. Along to help him is his Nancy Drew-ish daughter (Dana Kimmell). What secret will be revealed when Melissa turns "SWEET SIXTEEN"?

For those that prefer their killers less human, Code Red is also planning high-def transfers of the only movie in existence featuring Christopher Atkins and Roddy MacDowell being terrorized by a psychotic baboon as well as Andrew Divoff and Leilani Sarelle in their motion picture debuts doing battle with hydrophobic slasher monsters living beneath a bridge.

SHAKMA (1990) - An experimental drug that is supposed to reduce aggression has the opposite effect on a baboon that is being experimented on by a group of medical students and their professor. While they are playing a fantasy role-playing game in their research facility, the baboon escapes and begins hunting them down.

NEON MANIACS (1986) - A group of teenagers in San Francisco discover a nest of homicidal monsters living in a tower of the Golden Gate Bridge, but when they try to tell authorities, no one believes them.

Rounding out their latest crop of Blu-rays will be four fright fests from drive-in/grindhouse auteur Andy Milligan.

BLOODTHIRSTY BUTCHERS (1970) - A murderous barber and his equally psychopathic friend, a baker, hatch a plan whereby the barber murders people and the baker makes them into pies to be sold in his shop.

THE MAN WITH TWO HEADS (1972) – Milligan’s version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE! (1972) - The daughter in a family of werewolves decides to put an end to the family curse.

TORTURE DUNGEON (1970) - In medieval England a sadistic duke plots to kill off all the heirs to the throne of England so he can claim the title crown for himself.

Look for all these Code Red releases, presumably, sometime in 2014. It’s going to be a very expensive year."
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #3274
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE “I”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Sweet Sixteen, Neon Maniacs, and so much more coming to Blu thanks to Code Red!:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/719...#axzz2jvx3CZIV

"Code Red has been going “code blue” of late, releasing the likes of Nail Gun Massacre and Just Before Dawn on Blu-ray. We now know of seven more forthcoming Blu horror titles from the 70s, 80s, and 90s they have in the works to further empty your wallets in the coming year.

We haven’t come across any official word from Code Red regarding these newest offerings so it may be that Blu-ray.com let the proverbial cat out of the bag by listing these titles for future release the other day. In any event, here are the details:

First up, for the first time ever, a director’s cut of Jim “Forced Entry” Sotos’ 1983 chiller Sweet Sixteen, starring the all-star cast of Aleisha Shirley, Don Stroud, Bo Hopkins, Dana Kimmell, Patrick Macnee, Susan Strasberg, Larry Storch, Henry Wilcoxon, and Michael Pataki.

SWEET SIXTEEN (1983) - When Melissa Morgan (Aleisha Shirley), a gorgeous big city girl, moves to a small Texas town, she creates quite a stir with her beauty and promiscuous attitude. She might be 15 going on 25, but all the boys at her new school are still anxious to get to know her. Shortly after her arrival, Melissa's dates start ending up dead. When the younger brother of a local hell raiser (Don Stroud) ends up dead, Melissa looks like the likely suspect. The town Sheriff (Bo Hopkins) must try to solve the killings before the killer strikes again. Along to help him is his Nancy Drew-ish daughter (Dana Kimmell). What secret will be revealed when Melissa turns "SWEET SIXTEEN"?

For those that prefer their killers less human, Code Red is also planning high-def transfers of the only movie in existence featuring Christopher Atkins and Roddy MacDowell being terrorized by a psychotic baboon as well as Andrew Divoff and Leilani Sarelle in their motion picture debuts doing battle with hydrophobic slasher monsters living beneath a bridge.

SHAKMA (1990) - An experimental drug that is supposed to reduce aggression has the opposite effect on a baboon that is being experimented on by a group of medical students and their professor. While they are playing a fantasy role-playing game in their research facility, the baboon escapes and begins hunting them down.

NEON MANIACS (1986) - A group of teenagers in San Francisco discover a nest of homicidal monsters living in a tower of the Golden Gate Bridge, but when they try to tell authorities, no one believes them.

Rounding out their latest crop of Blu-rays will be four fright fests from drive-in/grindhouse auteur Andy Milligan.

BLOODTHIRSTY BUTCHERS (1970) - A murderous barber and his equally psychopathic friend, a baker, hatch a plan whereby the barber murders people and the baker makes them into pies to be sold in his shop.

THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE! (1972) - The daughter in a family of werewolves decides to put an end to the family curse.

TORTURE DUNGEON (1970) - In medieval England a sadistic duke plots to kill off all the heirs to the throne of England so he can claim the title crown for himself.

Look for all these Code Red releases, presumably, sometime in 2014. It’s going to be a very expensive year."
This news reporting is premature. The Blu-Ray.com database entries are placeholders only and are based on tentative information posted by Matthew David on Latarnia.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #3275
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post

Ah yiz. If there's one thing I can't pass up it's Miligan.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #3276
Dobby
HackMaster

I wonder if code red will give us rituals on blu-ray?
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #3277
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Hope Bill has some better elements to choose from. What he used for the DVD was passable for SD only.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #3278
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
That would great! What would be even better is Messiah of Evil on Blu-ray.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #3279
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

This info (upcoming CR Blu-rays) may be premature but there's no question that just about anything is possible if Just Before Dawn (and the other initial titles) sells well and it looks like at least JBD will do well. I'm on several boards and everyone seems to be excited about it. Even people who are on the fence are saying they're going for it.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #3280
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
This info (upcoming CR Blu-rays) may be premature but there's no question that just about anything is possible if Just Before Dawn (and the other initial titles) sells well and it looks like at least JBD will do well. I'm on several boards and everyone seems to be excited about it. Even people who are on the fence are saying they're going for it.
Everyone but me. The high price of Code Red product is starting to wear me out. I'm not interested in $30 blind buys. I'd rather Code Red do more double feature DVDs. It doesn't help that Vinegar Syndrome, Scorpion, Synapse and Shout are pumping out plenty of reasonably prices titles. It's just going to get more difficult to justify the high price of Code Red.

You can pre-order Scorpion's THE POM POM GIRLS blu-ray for less than $11 at Deep Discount. Bill needs to find a way to reduce prices, not raise them.

And I'm not saying this because I haven't bought in on blu-ray. I own more than 400 titles on BD. I've seen enough blu-rays that I'm no longer impressed by many releases. With low budget titles, an HD master put on a DVD looks near as good as the same transfer on BD. I'd pay $15 for a DVD of Code Red's transfer of JUST BEFORE DAWN before I'd pay $30 for the BD. Or better yet, if Shout Factory had done JUST BEFORE DAWN a Blu-ray/DVD combo could be had from Deep Discount during one of their sales for $16.

Last edited by crikan; 11-07-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #3281
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thanks for the reminder about JUST BEFORE DAWN! I just put my order in and will be anxious to get my mitts on this one! I guess I'll hold on to my Dark Sky DVD for the extras though.

I watched SHAKMA on Netflix streaming the other night. Sheesh. What a stinker. Rest assured that I will not be dropping $30 for a copy.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #3282
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
I watched SHAKMA on Netflix streaming the other night. Sheesh. What a stinker. Rest assured that I will not be dropping $30 for a copy.
I watched DEVIL's EXPRESS last night (not good). When it was over I viewed the SHAKMA trailer on the disc. It's an amusing trailer, but I didn't get the impression that it deserved a Blu-ray release. It looks like a 90's DTV Corman flick. As much as I enjoy a good nature amuck film, I wouldn't pay the $20+ for a Code Red DVD or blu-ray. Looks like it belongs on a Mill Creek boxset.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #3283
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Spending $30 on a blind buy is a very, um, risky thing to do. I think most of us who buy (or will buy) the Just Before Dawn BD have at the very least seen the film once. I saw it when I was growing up and it left an impression on me. Lots of movies I saw as a kid left some impression, most of them I outgrew but a handful have stayed with me through adulthood - this is one of them so $30 was nothing for me. OTOH, I would definitely hesitate to throw down that much money on something blindly so I totally get what you're saying, crikan. Maybe Bill will sell this off with a lower price down the road.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #3284
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Shakma is fun for what it is. I remember it was first shown on HBO before it played anywhere else. They used to have these "exclusive" movies, and it was one of them.

I do own the old DVD from Trinity, which was obviously sourced from an older video master. If a Code Red can improve on that, I'm game. I can't image it selling all that well on Blu-ray though...unless it's cheap.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #3285
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
Everyone but me. The high price of Code Red product is starting to wear me out. I'm not interested in $30 blind buys. I'd rather Code Red do more double feature DVDs. It doesn't help that Vinegar Syndrome, Scorpion, Synapse and Shout are pumping out plenty of reasonably prices titles. It's just going to get more difficult to justify the high price of Code Red.

You can pre-order Scorpion's THE POM POM GIRLS blu-ray for less than $11 at Deep Discount. Bill needs to find a way to reduce prices, not raise them.

And I'm not saying this because I haven't bought in on blu-ray. I own more than 400 titles on BD. I've seen enough blu-rays that I'm no longer impressed by many releases. With low budget titles, an HD master put on a DVD looks near as good as the same transfer on BD. I'd pay $15 for a DVD of Code Red's transfer of JUST BEFORE DAWN before I'd pay $30 for the BD. Or better yet, if Shout Factory had done JUST BEFORE DAWN a Blu-ray/DVD combo could be had from Deep Discount during one of their sales for $16.
I'm with you Crikan. Blu-ray prices for genre films with zero mass commercial appeal are starting to get ridiculous. I don't have enough love for Just Before Dawn to plunk down $30. I can pick up three other films on sale for that amount of money.

And let's not forget some of the authoring and encoding issues that new studios sometimes have when they make the leap to hi-def. Some of the earlier Blue Underground Blu-rays were digitally processed beyond reason. I'm not saying that will be the case with Code Red's initial releases. But you never know.

For those who have already received Just Before Dawn, how's the transfer? Film-like? Sharp? Is the print relatively clean? Is there evidence of digital tinkering? If the presentation is first-rate it would justify the cost for those who have more affection for this one than me.

As a pricing trend this is still discouraging. For a good while there you could pick up newer Blu-ray releases for significantly less than the cost of two adult movie tickets. I fear that time has passed. I still think most of the Shout! releases are overpriced. And they're a relative bargain compared to Code Red's price points.

If this is the way of the future I'll be buying significantly fewer discs going forward. At least that would give me a chance to catch up on the huge surplus of movies I haven't even watched yet.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote