Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #811
FinalSora
Victim

Hey, been visiting this website since 2001, never registered to post here however. I've been following this thread for a long time and just decided to throw my 2 cents in. As a collector I am of course a big fan of Blue Underground, Synapse, etc., but Code Red is my favorite DVD label, bar none. Never did I expect a label to release cult classics like Messiah Of Evil, The Redeemer, Sole Survivor, Sweet Sixteen, Love Me Deadly- the list goes on. Bill wears his heart on his sleeve, and I can understand that. Most Code Red releases you can tell have been given respect, and that low budget work ethic is endearing to me as a fan.

I am eager to see NIGHTMARE and NIGHT WARNING as well. Hell, I would love for Bill to decide to just settle for the VHS master for a MUTILATOR release. Just got The UNDERTAKER in the mail and watched yesterday, and that looked good in my opinion, the transfer does't always have to be pretty for these types of films! But even if The Mutilator doesn't come to fruition, I still want to send some kind words out to CODE RED. THANKS for all the cool dvd's you've painstakingly put out! It will be a sad day for me when Code Red closes shop.
FinalSora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #812
springjack
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
It's words like that that makes Bill rarely visits these forums.
Everybody has the right to his opinion.

Some are worthless and some are not.
________
Willys wagon

Last edited by springjack; 03-20-2011 at 11:42 PM.
springjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #813
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
It's words like that that makes Bill rarely visits these forums.
No, it's Bill's incompetency, insecurity and instability that makes him rarely visit these forums. Stop kissing ass.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #814
Jimmy S
Stalker

Once again the Code Red bashing game....
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #815
Fall Break
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
Once again the Code Red bashing game....
No they are bashing Bill not Code Red. Bill is a big boy and he can take care of himself.
Fall Break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #816
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Well I for one I'm not bashing Bill nor Code Red (and never will). The company delivered some good titles this year (can you say Horror High?) and they having a little bit oof trouble so the least we could do is help them get through this hardship.
Nailwraps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #817
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall Break View Post
No they are bashing Bill not Code Red. Bill is a big boy and he can take care of himself.
It's the same thing...
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:33 AM   #818
crikan
HackMaster

Reading this thread you's think that the success or failure of a company rests on message board chatter. I doubt that some harsh criticism is what's hurting CR. It's more likely bad business deals.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:38 AM   #819
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
Reading this thread you's think that the success or failure of a company rests on message board chatter. I doubt that some harsh criticism is what's hurting CR. It's more likely bad business deals.
No kidding. Bad business deals and sketchy distribution of their titles, and lack of any real advertising is likely what's hurting them.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:51 AM   #820
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Personally, I'm too poor these days to "blind buy" like I used to many years ago. Does anyone know why they don't put their titles on Netflix? Is there some sort of hold on them or are they too "small" or what?

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:03 AM   #821
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
Does anyone know why they don't put their titles on Netflix? Is there some sort of hold on them or are they too "small" or what?
They said previously that they don't make any money by selling a few copies to Netflix, and it would eat their profits as many would simply rent them instead of blind buying the titles.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #822
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

I'm not trying to start a fight but why are so many people defending Code Red? They've made a lot of mistakes lately, with poor transfers and massive delays (often announcing titles that will never see the light of day). I feel like if this were another company, especially Media Blasters, everyone on here would be ripping them to shreds. If Anchor Bay had re-released Madman, interlaced from a 720P master, we would be taking them to task for it. Media Blasters releases a version of Just Before Dawn that's missing three seconds and horror fans across the internet call for their head on a stake. Code Red releases interlaced transfer after interlaced transfer (this goes back years to Sole Survivor) and everyone is saying "Don't be so harsh, just give them your money." I was just as in love with Code Red back when they hit the scene. I own almost every single one of their early releases, including several titles that they worked on for Media Blasters. I had never seen any of these films but I loved them enough to dive in head first. Nowadays, I'm pretty much done with them. So, why does Code Red keep getting a pass? What will it take before people are fed up with their antics? A lot of companies admit their mistakes and release better versions (and, I'm not just talking about the big studios). Code Red just says "sorry" and expects you to fork over the cash for a subpar release. Is it the extras? I'm genuinely curious about this.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #823
joltaddict
HackMaster

I <3 Code Red for The Dead Pit, The Unseen and most of all for the gorgous transfer on the Messiah Of Evil disc.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #824
Matt89
HackMaster

Code Red is doing crap because it's a TERRIBLY managed company. Look at studios who started out small but made a name for themselves: Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Synapse, Shriek Show, Shout Factory, etc. They provided QUALITY to their consumers and when you provide quality, people will continue to buy your films. Code Red has very often done shoddy telecine work. They're extremely hit and miss. Many of their transfers are so blurry-looking because they're poorly authored. But did they think of even recalling a title like Sweet Sixteen and fix the framing? Or did that go unchecked as well? If it was checked, why the hell was it still released that way? Sure a studio can issue a film in a wrong ratio (like releasing a film 1.85:1 when it was supposed to be 1.66:1 - it's an issue, sure, but not a HUGE deal), but totally fucking up the framing of a film is inexcusable. And no it's not because they're rare. Anchor Bay and Blue Underground have released some seriously obscure titles, and their transfers still have more resolution than most of the titles Code Red works on. Now look at the titles they're releasing, going back to interlaced transfers, releasing titles without inspecting them first, agreeing to release films when the agreement sounds shady (like what happened with Madman). Where are the titles they've announced? Like The Mutilator, Night Warning, Rituals...where the fuck ARE these films? Sure you'll have to call it quits when you put out a crappy product and nobody buys it, or announcing films that will never get released. People will get frustrated and say fuck it.

I'm pretty much fed up with it too. While Madman wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, Code Red could've done a much better job with it. What kindof irked me with the release was not necessarily the transfer of the film itself, but the theatrical trailers look all fucked. There's a blurry line running vertically up the right edge of the frame, and (this looks like a digital error), a line running horizontally across the bottom of the frame(!) It's ridiculous! Like...who the hell let this be released?

But why does it have to be crap when it's released directly through Code Red? Didn't they do work on Silent Scream? Scorpion Releasing put the film out, and it looks and sounds great. It's a nice package and totally worth the $20 it costs in stores.

If Code Red ends up going out of business, they only really have themselves to blame. There are so many sites where you can't even get a Code Red title, they have no advertising outside of their own (rather sketchy-looking) website. They should make films available through their website, advertise more, act like they actually care about the films they release, because seriously....releasing interlaced transfers in this day and age is a definite sign of carelessness and apathy.

People are being critical of Code Red because they announce so many titles and never release them. Sure they've given us some great stuff but as of lately they've been total shit. And they have nobody but themselves to blame. They're slowly but surely digging their own grave.

~Matt

Last edited by Matt89; 10-19-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Matt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #825
Mr. Eddy
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Code Red is doing crap because it's a TERRIBLY managed company. Look at studios who started out small but made a name for themselves: Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Synapse, Shriek Show, Shout Factory, etc. They provided QUALITY to their consumers and when you provide quality, people will continue to buy your films. Code Red has very often done shoddy telecine work. They're extremely hit and miss. Many of their transfers are so blurry-looking because they're poorly authored. But did they think of even recalling a title like Sweet Sixteen and fix the framing? Or did that go unchecked as well? If it was checked, why the hell was it still released that way? Sure a studio can issue a film in a wrong ratio (like releasing a film 1.85:1 when it was supposed to be 1.66:1 - it's an issue, sure, but not a HUGE deal), but totally fucking up the framing of a film is inexcusable. And no it's not because they're rare. Anchor Bay and Blue Underground have released some seriously obscure titles, and their transfers still have more resolution than most of the titles Code Red works on. Now look at the titles they're releasing, going back to interlaced transfers, releasing titles without inspecting them first, agreeing to release films when the agreement sounds shady (like what happened with Madman). Where are the titles they've announced? Like The Mutilator, Night Warning, Rituals...where the fuck ARE these films? Sure you'll have to call it quits when you put out a crappy product and nobody buys it, or announcing films that will never get released. People will get frustrated and say fuck it.

I'm pretty much fed up with it too. While Madman wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, Code Red could've done a much better job with it. What kindof irked me with the release was not necessarily the transfer of the film itself, but the theatrical trailers look all fucked. There's a blurry line running vertically up the right edge of the frame, and (this looks like a digital error), a line running horizontally across the bottom of the frame(!) It's ridiculous! Like...who the hell let this be released?

But why does it have to be crap when it's released directly through Code Red? Didn't they do work on Silent Scream? Scorpion Releasing put the film out, and it looks and sounds great. It's a nice package and totally worth the $20 it costs in stores.

If Code Red ends up going out of business, they only really have themselves to blame. There are so many sites where you can't even get a Code Red title, they have no advertising outside of their own (rather sketchy-looking) website. They should make films available through their website, advertise more, act like they actually care about the films they release, because seriously....releasing interlaced transfers in this day and age is a definite sign of carelessness and apathy.

People are being critical of Code Red because they announce so many titles and never release them. Sure they've given us some great stuff but as of lately they've been total shit. And they have nobody but themselves to blame. They're slowly but surely digging their own grave.

~Matt
Well put!
Mr. Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote