Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
baggio
HackMaster

Z Nation - (new series)

Fridays 10:00pm on SyFy channel.

Anybody see this?

I saw it & thought it wasn't too bad. In comparison to the Walking Dead, it doesn't compare in the "acting". The dialog tends to lean to those SyFy original movies, but it's not like Sharknado bad. The zombies are fast / running al la Dawn of the Dead remake type. The story is not as deep as Walking Dead, but I do appreciate that the show has a direction unlike Walking Dead. WD is just about survival and following the group through this journey and how they handle the apocalyptic events. Z Nation has a more direct path. Its 3 years after the zombie take over and it picks up with following a group that has to transport some guy who is believed to hold a cure to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lab in California alive.

As for the gore/violence, I put it this way. If one never saw Walking Dead on AMC then you would say this is probably the most gory/violent stuff seen on cable TV that's not a rated R movie. Yes there is CGI mixed in with the violence but it's pretty brutal stuff. Zombie kids / baby getting shot, heads exploding, humans getting tore apart. They use less practical fx but it's all there. There was a great scene that involved Tom Everett Scott and a hammer that worked quite well.

Cast: DJ Qualls, Tom Everett Scott....

I didn't list all of the cast because there were people that got knocked off that I was surprised after only one episode.

Bottom line imo this is a "fun" zombie series. Fast moving entertainment. This new series is not the Walking Dead by any means & it's really not it's competition. I like both, and only wish this started earlier, like in July so it wouldn't run into the WD season 5. Unfairly this new series is going to get trashed I believe because of peoples loyalty to WD. I wish it wouldn't though, it deserves a chance.

Trailer (shows scenes from the first episode)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBMAHsunAUs

Last edited by baggio; 09-15-2014 at 06:18 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Mok
Family is Forever

I watched a bit of it. I was impressed by some of the gore. It's obviously a Walking Dead wannabe, but not bad if you are really into zombies.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
thrashard76
Thrash or be Thrashed

That trailer looked pretty damn entertaining. It's like if the Left For Dead game series bumped uglies with the Dawn Of The Dead (remake) and had a kid and then brainwashed it to watch only The Walking Dead series 24/7 - then this is what it would grow to be.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #4
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

What a piece of utter garbage!! I got through the first episode, but won't watch another. It was pretty generic with good gore effects, but the writing is terrible and a lot of things just don't make any sense in the script. The characters didn't grab me and the baby zombie... Stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I'm more interested in that Town Of The Living Dead show they've been promoting on SyFy. That looks like fun!
Old 09-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Copyboy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
What a piece of utter garbage!! I got through the first episode, but won't watch another. It was pretty generic with good gore effects, but the writing is terrible and a lot of things just don't make any sense in the script. The characters didn't grab me and the baby zombie... Stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I'm more interested in that Town Of The Living Dead show they've been promoting on SyFy. That looks like fun!
Ha ha! Totally agree. That baby was right up there with that horrible dancing baby that was all over the place in the late '90s!

Town of the Living Dead does look like a lot of fun. American Movie style!
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I watched the first two episodes this morning and found them enjoyable and totally watchable. Right when I saw "The Asylum" logo at the beginning of the show, I knew exactly what I was getting into: The Asylum's rip-off of The Walking Dead. And that's exactly what I got. As someone who can appreciate the occasional Asylum "mockbuster", I didn't mind that at all. Just brainless fun, no pun intended.

I will say that it moves much faster than the snail's pace of The Walking Dead, so it has a slight advantage there. I'll definitely be watching, as the first two episodes flew by rather quickly.

Also, still very much looking forward to the Town Of The Living Dead series on October 7th. That looks like so much fun, the more promos I'm seeing the more excited I get.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

I watched the first episode a few weeks ago and forgot. I just wasn't feeling the show. I thought the baby zombie was kind of silly. I didn't like any of the characters either except the guy from Lost. The show just felt like a cash in on the zombie craze and far from a Walking Dead type of show.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:54 AM   #9
x666x
HackMaster

I am a few ep in and think the lower budget look has its charm. A lot of gore/action to balance out the talking. I understand the issues as to why the Walking Dead started to suck into the second season, but it doesn't change the fact that it sucks. If I wanted a higher budget film without a lot of zombie rampage, then I will watch a drama from a major film studio. I don't care that they kind of improved on that as the Walking Dead series progressed. It is a series so if a couple of episodes in a row suck, that is like watching a full 90 min zombie flick that does not deliver on its promise. Z Nation delivers on the fact that in a zombie venture, there should be, I don't know, a side of zombies with the social commentary/drama each episode. It throws whatever money it has to do such. That to me is horror. Not the soccer mom fare. As far as Z Nation copying Walking Dead is concerned, I guess it does as far as a tv show is concerned. However, about that people surviving a zombie apocalypse thing, I think I recall that being done before. Now where could that idea have possibly come from?

Last edited by x666x; 09-29-2014 at 03:01 AM.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
baggio
HackMaster

What I found sort of amusing is how Z Nation beat The Walking Dead to the punch with last weeks episode.

What they basically did was have their version of what the last episode/episodes of WD (last season) could be all about. Only Z Nation didn't waste anytime, they just right to the point & dealt with it. Moving along at a quicker pace, as Cpt Hook mentioned.

Spoiler:
Z Nation had the group run into a group of survivors that were cannibals. The Walking Dead has the group being trapped by a people who some speculate(viewers) could be cannibals.

I enjoy the show, & last week was a fun episode. Will continue to watch the series for sure despite the lower budget & average acting.

Last edited by baggio; 09-29-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:17 AM   #11
x666x
HackMaster

Totally agree, baggio. That scene was awesome. This show knows it's horror. Straight up. AMC gets too preoccupied with Mad Men to remember that Walking Dead is not a drama. Mad Men is a far better show for what it is because they let them do what they do best. It is too bad they did not do the same with Walking Dead.

Last edited by x666x; 10-04-2014 at 04:50 AM.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
baggio
HackMaster

Still watching and I'm getting more and more hooked.

Great opening with a run in with some crooks. Excellent visual idea btw.(you have to see the encounter to understand what I'm talking about) Also loved the military zombie all roided up. LOL.

P.S. -Those who aren't watching missed a zombie getting stoned and the one and only Bill Moseley.

Next week episode involves a Z Nado ... that's right you read that correctly. Take that Walking Dead!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
baggio
HackMaster

On a ratings note, while quite small compared to Walking Dead. Z Nation is holding their audience. In fact they went up in week 4 about a half a million from week 3(after a prior drop) Episodes 1,2, and 4 have almost no change. After seeing the preview to week 5, I can see a slight bump coming. If not for week 5, than certainly for 6 after episode 5's buzz.

Last edited by baggio; 10-07-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
Mok
Family is Forever

Walking Dead really tried hard to lose all of it's fans at the beginning of last season. Things eventually picked up again but there was still a load of Glen/Maggery bogging things down.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #15
RealHorror1980
Screamy Bopper

It's best to try and watch this while omitting Walking Dead from your mind, a hard task granted. But I think they've gone with more a "retro" approach with this given its limited budget!
RealHorror1980 is offline   Reply With Quote