Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #211
speanroc
I WANNA BAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatts View Post
Historically I can appreciate its significance. Personally I wouldn't put it in, but I can't deny it has had some power. There are others I'd argue against too, but the ones listed were the ones I'd simply drop. Hell, I don't even own The Shining on DVD (saw it way back though).

Gialls are giallos, they're not horror flicks.
dwatts let's see your top 10....

and too be fair, JAWS as far as historical significants, trumps most horror films u put up there............and IS a top 10 horror film all time....
speanroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #212
dwatts
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by speanroc View Post
dwatts let's see your top 10....

and too be fair, JAWS as far as historical significants, trumps most horror films u put up there............and IS a top 10 horror film all time....
Yes, historically Jaws has significance - but it's not a horror film, so while that's true, it doesn't matter in this context.

I could put together a top ten, but as I have said, it'd just be a personal favorites list and of no real importance. Without a definition of what horror is, we'd surely disagree on a bunch.

Last edited by dwatts; 11-26-2007 at 10:12 AM.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #213
speanroc
I WANNA BAN

Quote:
Yes, historically Jaws has significance - but it's not a horror film, so while that's true, it doesn't matter in this context.
JAWS is not horror

BOLLOCKS!!!!!

it certainly is horror
Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #214
dwatts
HackMaster

I have a pair of those.

So what's your definition of horror? A couple gory deaths doesn't equate to horror for me, and to me it's clearly a thriller rather than a horror film.

But this just goes to show the difficulty involved. I like Jaws - though I don't revisit it much. It's a good film with plenty of thrills and spills for sure. It just wouldn't make a top 500 horror film list for me.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #215
speanroc
I WANNA BAN

Quote:
I have a pair of those.

So what's your definition of horror? A couple gory deaths doesn't equate to horror for me, and to me it's clearly a thriller rather than a horror film.

But this just goes to show the difficulty involved. I like Jaws - though I don't revisit it much. It's a good film with plenty of thrills and spills for sure. It just wouldn't make a top 500 horror film list for me.
gory deaths???, who's sayin that

what determins a horror film, i guess will differ from person to person...

a big fookin shark who's tryin to EAT me is pure HORROR

ANYWAY...dwatts, just for kicks, let's see ur personal favorite top 10 list of horror films, this way i can get a better understanding of what u deem as horror.......
Old 11-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #216
dwatts
HackMaster

I'll put together a top ten. Although just ten titles is BRUTAL.

Quote:
Quote:
a big fookin shark who's tryin to EAT me is pure HORROR
It would be horrible, but it's not horror.

I think we might be caught in a loop here, and should abandon the topic.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #217
speanroc
I WANNA BAN

Quote:
I think we might be caught in a loop here, and should abandon the topic.

now dwatts, if you r going to have such strong convictions about what is or is not horror, and quick to discredit worthy films, it's only fair to display ur personal top 10...., it's looks to me that u r copping out...and making lame excuses

here's my favorites, not the best made by any stretch, but my FAVORITES...
u see dwatts i'm not scared to list em..

MY PERSONAL FAVORITE TOP 10(no particular order)

1-EVIL DEAD
2-FRIDAY THE 13TH
3-DEATH DREAM
4-HELL NIGHT
5-I DRINK YOUR BLOOD
6-SLEEPAWAY CAMP
7-ISLAND OF DEATH
8-LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT
9-BAY OF BLOOD
10-HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

now i will list 10 of the best ever made, not nessarily to my liking...

10 of the BEST HORROR EVER MADE(not in any order)

1-THE EXORCIST
2-HALLOWEEN
3-JAWS
4-NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
5-DAWN OF THE DEAD
6-PSYCHO
7-TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
8-ROSEMARY'S BABY
9-CARRIE
10-THE SHINNING

Last edited by speanroc; 11-26-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #218
dwatts
HackMaster

Give me time, I'm old. You know, I could go over this endlessly, trying to get the order right. I pefer to say this isn't in any order really - and I'm sure if I spent time researching etc, that something else might break into my top ten. I find naming only ten horror films really difficult - so I always end up with an imperfect list.

Still - this'll do for now:

The Haunting
Night of the Demon (Tourneur)
Halloween
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
Fiend Without a Face
Frankenstein (Whale)
The Thing from Another World
Mystery of the Wax Museum
Nosferatu
Dark Water (original)

The Haunting

Just out and out the scariest film I've ever seen. If someone were to watch just one horror fil in their life - this would be perfect.

Night of the Demon (Tourneur)

Not without its faults, of course, but the entire tale is so expertly told, and the use of black and white photography awesome.

Halloween

Not only a great film, but clearly an inspirational one.

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave

In the end, perhaps my favorite Hammer film. ind you, they did so many great ones. This one has really held up, and the DVD was a revelation.

Fiend Without a Face

50's sci-fi is often under-represented on these lists, which is a pity. This film managed to combine a decent plot with some terrific effects and, yes, gore. it's a wonderful horror time capsule.

Frankenstein (Whale)

Since this is an "unpopular opinion" thread I have no reservation in stating, once again, that this film is better than Bride of Frankenstein. I know - a minority view. This is a case where I simply cannot understand why anyone would think differently, a total mental block on my part.

The Thing from Another World

Too often dismissed, or neglected, due to Carpenters film. For me this is a terrific bit of horror/sci fi.

Mystery of the Wax Museum

I bought the DVD for the Vincent Price version, and this came as a bonus feature. I'd never seen it before. What a totally perfect peice of cinema it is though! Whenever I need a Wax Museum fix this is the one I watch. Not that the Price film is bad, but it doesn't match Wray and Co.

Nosferatu

After all this time it still packs a punch.

Dark Water (original)

This film packs such an emotional wallop. It really got to me. I've shown in to friends since, and I've had a couple women crying in my living room. It's just shattering. I've owned the remake for a long time, but can't be bothered to watch it - I go back to the original.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #219
speanroc
I WANNA BAN

u see dwatts, that wasen't so hard

u got some quality films on that list....

i also wanna add, that determing what is purely HORROR is difficult because MOST horror films have many other genre elements involved...so FOR ME, i tend to incorperate .....HORROR/CULT/EXPLOITATION into one , when compiling such a list...
Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #220
dwatts
HackMaster

I include some cult and exploitation films, but I think most of them would struggle to make a top 100 list of Horror films. A top 100 would mean essential viewing, and while there might be a few, it truly would be only a few.

Denis Gifford, author of the classic "Pictorial History of Horror Films" wrote:

"Yet ask me to define a horror film and I am stumped.... For me, an element of fantasy is essential to a horror film: the impossible rather than the improbable."

I like that as a starting point. So Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, and Jaws are not horror films. There's nothing impossible about them, they're real life events with some horrible moments (not to say there aren't horror elements to them, they're just not catagorizable as horror films). Actually, in one sense it's surprising that a board such as this doesn't have a definition posted. It doesn't have to be arbitrary, but something to go on would be good. I know there was a thread in classic once. I pondered the questions is asked several times, but never came up with a post worthy of the thread....
Old 11-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #221
Agent Z
"Get to the river...

Quote:
"Yet ask me to define a horror film and I am stumped.... For me, an element of fantasy is essential to a horror film: the impossible rather than the improbable."
Which would take the horror tag off of most slashers as well, including the early Friday the 13th films and, yes, even Halloween.*

Quote:
Actually, in one sense it's surprising that a board such as this doesn't have a definition posted. It doesn't have to be arbitrary, but something to go on would be good.
I like the discussion, but in the end the only definition that will matter is the one that each individual holds as their own.

However, if you want to break it down to the simplest terms:

hor-ror

–noun
1. an overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting; a shuddering fear: to shrink back from a mutilated corpse in horror.
2. anything that causes such a feeling
<--------

Jaws frightfully shocked, revolted, terrified, and gave me an overwhelming and painful feeling that has since kept my adult swimming locales restricted to birdbaths.

Spoiler:
Myers getting up after the gunshots and fall, while improbable, is not impossible.

Last edited by Agent Z; 11-26-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #222
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Denis Gifford, author of the classic "Pictorial History of Horror Films" wrote:

I like that as a starting point. So Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, and Jaws are not horror films. There's nothing impossible about them, they're real life events with some horrible moments (not to say there aren't horror elements to them, they're just not catagorizable as horror films). Actually, in one sense it's surprising that a board such as this doesn't have a definition posted. It doesn't have to be arbitrary, but something to go on would be good. I know there was a thread in classic once. I pondered the questions is asked several times, but never came up with a post worthy of the thread....
I don't think Halloween is any more supernatural then Jaws. Even if Michael Myers represented evil. Jaws isn't a "when animals attack" it doesn't represent a real Shark. It is much larger and much more powerful then any Great White that has ever been found. Isn't jaws essentially Michael Myers in the Ocean. A Evil killing machine staking his victims?
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #223
speanroc
I WANNA BAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Code Z View Post
Which would take the horror tag off of most slashers as well, including the early Friday the 13th films and, yes, even Halloween.*

I like the discussion, but in the end the only definition that will matter is the one that each individual holds as their own.

However, if you want to break it down to the simplest terms:

hor-ror

–noun
1. an overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting; a shuddering fear: to shrink back from a mutilated corpse in horror.
2. anything that causes such a feeling
<--------

Jaws shocked, revolted, terrified, and gave me an overwhelming and painful feeling that has since kept my adult swimming locales restricted to birdbaths.

Spoiler:
Myers getting up after the gunshots and fall, while improbable, is not impossible.

it's hard to argue with this ..., GOOD JOB Mission Codes
Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #224
dwatts
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by speanroc View Post
it's hard to argue with this ..., GOOD JOB Mission Codes
Actually, that's easy to disagree with. That's a dictionary definition of the word - we're talking about a genre of movies. They're not the same at all, surprised you were so easily suckered into that one.

Of course horror films have the elements of that definition of the word "horror", but it doesn't at all go all the way to describing the genre as a whole.

Quote:
Which would take the horror tag off of most slashers as well, including the early Friday the 13th films and, yes, even Halloween.
Friday the 13th and Halloween both have supernatural elements. To me it is clear in Halloween that the Myers that returns is only partially human, the climax simply confirms this. Later films definately push the point home. Same with Friday - a few films in and he's a full blown zombie for goodness sakes. The first film? Not a horror film by this definition. Halloween though, I think is. Saying the shark in Jaws is unusually large or strong is pushing it a bit, imo.

Quote:
Isn't that the same as saying "I have my own definition, and I'm never going to change it, so unless the definition agreed is the one I think is right, it's wrong?"

Of course we all have our convictions, and I'm with you in suggesting that we'd never ever - on this board (or any other likely) - be able to come up with a definition we could all agree on. Nothing is going to convince speanroc that Jaws isn't a horror film - and honestly he's going to have a hard time convincing me it is.

The definition I posted - from Gifford - would exclude many films we all hold dear to our hearts, and we're just not going to be able to let go of them. I can appreciate that. The main issue I was pointing out though was that, with no definition at all, it's an anything goes situation. Hence, any poll on the board is to be treated as good fun only, and not to be taken seriously at all. Too many different agendas come into play.

Also, trying to come up with a definition makes your head hurt, doesn't it?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #225
dwatts
HackMaster

As a bit of fun I went through Speanroc's top ten, just to see how upset he would be by Gifford's definition.

1-EVIL DEAD (Horror)
2-FRIDAY THE 13TH (the first film? Not Horror unless you believe that final scene actually happened).
3-DEATH DREAM (Haven't seen this one)
4-HELL NIGHT (Haven't seen this one)
5-I DRINK YOUR BLOOD (Not Horror)
6-SLEEPAWAY CAMP (Not Horror)
7-ISLAND OF DEATH (Not Horror)
8-LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (Not Horror)
9-BAY OF BLOOD (haven't seen this one)
10-HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME (Not horror)

OMG!

My list:

The Haunting (Horror)
Night of the Demon (Tourneur) (Horror)
Halloween (Horror, though we're debating it)
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (Horror)
Fiend Without a Face (Horror.... but where's the line with sci-fi?)
Frankenstein (Whale) (Horror)
The Thing from Another World (Horror)
Mystery of the Wax Museum (Horror?)
Nosferatu (Horror)
Dark Water (original) (Horror)

Interesting. I didn't have the definition in mind when I made my list, but I think I'm naturally more tuned to its central idea.