Halloween 4 is one if the best horror sequels
How DARE you go back on topic?
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #813
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Ugly but talented musicians suddenly fell to the wayside.

-Paff
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #814
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

I'm no business expert, but I feel like the industries involved in music, movies and games just need to realize they can't fight the piracy and work ways around it. I sincerely don't believe a band like Pennywise (since they were brought up early) made more money by having a record company and stores taking what must be a huge portion of what must be relatively low sales than what they could make selling autographs and hawking merch themselves online to a huge amount of people in comparison to the old days of just selling shit at concerts. It's just a different way to skin a cat. When other doors close, new ones tend to open. On the grand scale, are they losing money due to piracy? Of course, but the world is never going to change its actions, so they have to find a new way to make revenue. Talented people are letting people listen to their music for free online these days, it's not as though competition has dwindled, it's exponentially increased. I know video game developers cry when their games don't sell too hot and cry piracy, well you've got Joe Schmo who just wants people to play his quirky, addictive little free game on the iPhone, and you want $60 for a run of the mill game that's not a whole heck of a lot of fun? How come the fact that your shit sucks compared to someone who did it for free doesn't play a factor?

Obviously I'd never say these people don't have a right to bitch, but times change. We all bought DVDs, now we've got hundreds of them taking up space that we never watch. It was a novelty, but now with streaming and instant viewing, the physical media (which I of course prefer) is obviously considered meaningless to the average person. I just say if you're crying because you can't make a living exclusively in the music/movie industry - news flash, it's not that easy to do, that's why people don't often choose it as a career path. Especially if you're not mass audience-focused and outrageously good looking to make it as the execs these days seem to require. Or at the very least if you're not forward thinking enough to realize, not picking on Pennywise, that no one's going to care about 50 year old punk rockers or want to see a Miley Cyrus type sing stupid 30 year old pop songs, especially if she loses her looks.

I think of it like this, the 70s/80s era bands wrote songs that people could listen to as they got older. The popular groups for guys when I was in adolescence were like fucking Blink 182, Korn, Limp Bizkit, DMX, etc. Why in the blue hell approaching 30 would I really want to see any of these people in concerts? There's just little lasting power in that shit. If Justin Bieber complained about piracy, I'd say fuck yeah, he's losing millions. Smaller groups, although they need the money the most, realistically, how much can they be losing for their share or music residuals when factoring in expenses, managers, divided up by however many people are in the band, plus taxes? I just don't think it's enough to sway people from either being in or out of the music business for how much small acts are likely to sell via the actual albums, with piracy or not.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #815
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Did you watch them play Enter Sandman at Yankee Stadium for Mariano Rivera day or whatever that was? I wanted to crawl under my bed it was so bad.
It's shockingly embarrassing. To think they were once these out of control kids writing those first three albums. Awful.

Listening to raw audio is just a mess of dropped notes and sloppy play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Halloween 4 is one if the best horror sequels
It's not art, but it is sure as hell fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-boo-radley View Post
The popular groups for guys when I was in adolescence were like fucking Blink 182, Korn, Limp Bizkit, DMX, etc.
Good Christ that line made me sad.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:16 AM   #816
maybrick
HackMaster

Those were dark days. Back when spelling Corn with a "K" was considered EXTREME!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 AM   #817
maybrick
HackMaster

Here's an unpopular opinion, at least among my Facebook friends: I don't give a rat about GMOs. Organic foods? A waste of money.

For a little perspective, one person I knew who was obsessed with them became diabetic. Another one had a child who almost died from E. coli and also developed diabetes. And a number of them wound up having autistic children. So ultimately I'm just not convinced that eating organically is any more healthy than the "regular" way.

On a related note, it makes sense to watch how much meat you eat. I even have vegetarian days from time to time. But the few people I've met who were vegan seemed both physically and mentally ill. One I knew looked like she came straight out of Auschwitz before she died in her early 30s.

We have evolved to be omnivorous. It seems unnatural to me to be a full on vegetarian. Or meat eater for that matter.

Last edited by maybrick; 01-09-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 AM   #818
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

- Music videos are actually more popular than they ever been. Every top 40 single has millions of views and thousands upon thousands of people commenting and sharing on social media. Playing videos over the air without the ability to comment/like/share/pause/replay is obsolete. MTV got the right idea by not playing videos anymore.

- The reason artists only release 1 album every few years is because record labels have to push different stars at different time periods due to stagnation. They have album releases down to a formula of peeks and valleys and it's more beneficial for them to not let 1 artist get played out. Indie artists release albums whenever they please.

As far as piracy goes:

2013: Highest box office of all time

Legal music streams are the future

Video game revenue projected to hit $111 billion in 2015

Its negative impact is way overblown.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:03 AM   #819
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Music sales have been cut in half in the last decade (according to this), which means SOMEONE is losing money and a significant amount. The question is--where is that revenue now going? Are consumers spending that money on other media?
The article does list other reasons for this besides piracy, though. The fact that in '99 lots of people were replacing cassettes with CDs, the recession at the end of the decade, and the fact that people who are interested in buying their music online can do it piece-by-piece, rather than being required to buy a whole album, and the fact that no new physical medium has arisen to take the place of CDs. People here have mentioned the quality of modern music as another reason, which I'd agree with, and I also think its important to note the significant price difference between a CD in '99, and one in '09. So one can't look at the graph of declining sales figures and directly extrapolate that to a similar pattern in overall album sales. Obviously that's probably trending downwards a lot too, but not necessarily at the same rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Those were dark days. Back when spelling Corn with a "K" was considered EXTREME!
I believe the correct spelling is "Xtreme".

Quote:
Here's an unpopular opinion, at least among my Facebook friends: I don't give a rat about GMOs. Organic foods? A waste of money.
Oh for fuck's sake, organic food is a sham. A marketing gimmick designed to prey upon those with too much money. What a complete crock of shit. I had to buy organic bananas at twice the price of regular ones the other day because that was all the grocery store had, and it made me furious. I was being completely ripped off. I felt like hiding them under other groceries in the check-out line because I didn't want other shoppers to see. Of course the went rotten half a day later. Using the term "organic" on your product is unregulated, and could mean anything. It's also been shown that there is often absolutely no difference in pesticide levels or other chemicals between organic and non-organic food. It makes me sick.

Last edited by dave13; 01-09-2014 at 03:09 AM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:03 AM   #820
Body Boy
HackMaster

Unpop. Opinions:

Halloween 4 sucks.

&...

While today's music is nothing to rave about, I consider the 10s better than the 90s-00s. The fake grit period of the early 00s makes the artsy side of me squirm in disgust.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #821
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
- Music videos are actually more popular than they ever been. Every top 40 single has millions of views and thousands upon thousands of people commenting and sharing on social media. Playing videos over the air without the ability to comment/like/share/pause/replay is obsolete. MTV got the right idea by not playing videos anymore.
With all due respect, MTV gave up on music videos loooooong before social media became normalized.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #822
scott71670
Maniac

Interesting info about the film industry. I don't usually go to the movies. I don't pirate new films. Here's the reason: the movies usually suck, ESPECIALLY for horror fans. I am frankly dead tired of hearing the industry complain about how people aren't going to the theatres, when they put films like Devil Inside in release, and I can stay home and watch Berberian Sound Studio. How dare film studios insult my intelligence and then fault me for not paying them for it!
scott71670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #823
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
With all due respect, MTV gave up on music videos loooooong before social media became normalized.
That is very true. But at the same time, they starting cutting back on videos not long before Youtube came out (2005) which was a smart move on their part in the long run.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #824
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
That is very true. But at the same time, they starting cutting back on videos not long before Youtube came out (2005) which was a smart move on their part in the long run.
They started cutting back on videos as far back as 1986 when they began successfully rerunning old Monkees episodes. The slide furthered with the introduction of their first original program, Remote Control. This was then followed by the creation of Blocks of videos in the form of TV shows (Yo! MTV Raps, Headbangers Ball, and the like). More non music programs followed (Liquid Television, Half Hour Comedy Hour), followed by the REAL beginning of the end: The Real World in 1992. It then got to the point in the 90s where the only times during the day when you could see a music video was late in the evening or early in the morning. All of the other times were either The Real World or Beavis and Butthead. There was also that horrible dating game starring Jenny McCarthy and that cokehead host from Talking Dead. And also that call in show with Dr. Drew. People began to complain so they created a second channel, MTV2, just for videos, but even that began to turn to crap. By the time my daughter was born 10 years ago, they only showed videos early in the morning and all but phased out the shows that I used to watch like 120 Minutes and Headbangers.

Basically, the owners learned early on that if a video came on that a person didn't like they would simply change the channel, and they certainly never stuck around for the commercials. So they had to create programming to become MORE profitable, because enough is never enough.

Last edited by maybrick; 01-09-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #825
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Basically, the owners learned early on that if a video came on that a person didn't like they would simply change the channel, and they certainly never stuck around for the commercials.
Just an additional observation, back when MTV first started up, it was incredibly addictive because you (or at least I and my friends) would sit through hours of trash just hoping that something cool would pop up. El Debarge would be on and we'd wait through it in the hopes that they'd show that Laura Branigan video with all the people writhing around because I swear dude one of them is totally naked.

I guess it's just an indication of either how much people's attention spans have changed or an indication of just how much more we have competing for our attention.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote