Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Dawn of the Dead (78) 3-d!! plus sequel

The 3-d release sounds great, not sure about the sequel though (Day 2 comes to mind!). Anyway, from fangoria.com:

May 14: Romero’s DAWN returns—in 3-D!

Producer Richard Rubinstein gave Fango the scoop on a wild development concerning an upcoming revival of George A. Romero’s DAWN OF THE DEAD. Rubinstein, the man responsible for producing many of Romero’s films as well as the 2004 DAWN remake, is planning to rerelease the 1979 zombie epic in true 3-D! In-Three, Inc. of Agoura Hill, CA will be responsible for the “dimensionalization” process.

“When Mike Messina [another producer on the DAWN redux] and I began to investigate using In-Three’s technique, I was very skeptical,” Rubinstein tells Fango. “I couldn’t see how it could be used without re-editing George’s film, which I was not going to do. I was also concerned that converting a 29-year-old movie would not be competitive qualitatively with the new 3-D live-action features being shot today. I was wrong in both cases. George’s DAWN OF THE DEAD can be reformatted into 3-D without any editing, and the image looks spectacular! As it stands now, it will take about a year to complete the conversion of the whole film.” Indeed, In-Three’s work has been hailed by George Lucas, James Cameron and Peter Jackson, among others.

Lucky FANGORIA chief Tony Timpone got a 3-D sneak of several scenes of the 3-D DAWN in NYC and came away suitably impressed. "I was blown away over how easily DAWN OF THE DEAD lends itself to 3-D," he says. "This is not a gimmick. Romero's film looks better than ever, and the extra dimension adds, well, another vibrant dimension to Romero's masterpiece. I can't wait to see the final product when it emerges in 2009. The idea of seeing a spiffed up DAWN (the original!) on the big screen again is a cause for celebration."

Rubinstein also has plans to create a direct sequel to the original DAWN (!) and will be producing a new screen adaptation of Frank Herbert’s DUNE, to be directed by Peter (THE KINGDOM) Berg. Keep checking this site for further developments on both DAWN projects. —Chris Haberman
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Paff

Funny how colorizing a black-and-white film is usually considered "sacrilege", but turning a 2-D movie into a 3-D gimmick (and oh yes, it's definitely a gimmick, Tony) is "cause for celebration"

If it wasn't filmed in 3-D, it can't be 3-D.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Apparently you haven't seen the 3d version of Nightmare Before Christmas.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Funny how colorizing a black-and-white film is usually considered "sacrilege", but turning a 2-D movie into a 3-D gimmick (and oh yes, it's definitely a gimmick, Tony) is "cause for celebration"

If it wasn't filmed in 3-D, it can't be 3-D.
I haven't exactly seen people say, "It's about time." Nobody asked for it, and apathy will probably be the resounding response.

Interesting point though. I guess because it's a gimmick it's acceptable. If they re-released it in theaters with buzzers in the seats to make you jump at the right moments it'd be OK too. 3D is also a b-movie mainstay so people are more comfortable seeing a monster movie becoming 3D than say Citizen Kane.

Also with technology today 3D isn't going to replace 2D any time soon. That's different than colorizing as once it's done it can quite easily become the front runner. I see possible 5.1 or 7.1 mixing as more worrisome than the 3D, as it's more than likely whatever hack job is done creating surround sound for the theatrical release will replace the original mono track on a DVD release.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

If it takes 3d-ing the original Dawn to get it back into theaters, so be it! It's highly doubtful a regular issue of Dawn would get a wide release. While us fans would flock to it, the general public will figure why pay theater prices when you could rent / purchase the movie for a few $. The 3d version of NBC was awesome. It wasn't in your face 3d, but it created a 3d plane for the movie and if all movies were like that, it would be amazing.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
HAEMORRHAGE
If he dies, he dies

I'd be down for this for the sole purpose of me seeing the good DotD in the theatre which I was not only too young to do, but not even born yet.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
fceurich39
HackMaster

hopefully the 3D version of dawn will come to dvd and the sequel well i have my doubts but at least it has a good director
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Paff

Sorry, I don't agree with bastardizing a movie just to make it more palatable to today's audiences.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

I'll see it, sounds like fun. I only hope it doesn't cause my copy of Dawn '78 to burst into flames on my shelf.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
thrashard76

The pie fight scene should be uber fun!!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Man... when those zombies bust into the elevator after Flyboy... I will pimp this solely for that bit... I hope it looks cool...

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

The film is unrated. How many theatres will actually show this???
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
Horrorphilly
Maniac

I would check this out.I do agree , how many theatres will show UR movie these days.Maybe EXHUMED cinema of Philla Pa will.I wonder how the sequel to DOTD will turn out.I wonder what Romero thinks.

Sean
Horrorphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #14
Paff

While they're at it, maybe they can color correct the blood, for a more realistic look. Get rid of the blue-faced zombies as well. Give them more oozing sores. Hey, let's improve the soundtrack as well...some more modern music.

What other classic films should they fuck with, while they're at it?

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
The Chaostar
Johnny Hallyday forever

Dr.Calligari. They could fix all those fucked up angles. The buildings, the doors... I mean, what where they thinking???

There Is No Freedom, Wake Up.
The Chaostar is offline   Reply With Quote