Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 AM   #1
ronnie21
HackMaster

My Bloody Valentine (1981)

My bloody valentine 1981 uncut version with added gore. I noticed something, they really chopped up the R rated version so bad. They really could have left in that face boiling hot dog pot scene. Was that really that bad??? I think they could have left in longer shots of the old lady dryer scene too..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #2
Hork!
Victim

The film was cut to shit by the mpaa and smacked with an X. Then again the same story could be said for most horror films in 81 and back. Paramount were chicken shit trying to make a quick buck and not standing behind their films also. At least that is the impression that I get from them.
Hork! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:08 AM   #3
ronnie21
HackMaster

I think they went way overboard. I often wonder had john lennon not have been shot if the ratings would have been different. or was that just a coincidence??? Look at the difference between Friday the 13th part 1 and 2. part 1 was way more gory and part 2 so tuned down.. one before lennons death. and one after..
Old 05-15-2014, 04:41 AM   #4
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I think it was FRIDAY THE 13TH part 1 that really set the ratings board on alert.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
My bloody valentine 1981 uncut version with added gore. I noticed something, they really chopped up the R rated version so bad. They really could have left in that face boiling hot dog pot scene. Was that really that bad??? I think they could have left in longer shots of the old lady dryer scene too..
Funnily enough I revisited this the other night and thought the exact same thing.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
Hork!
Victim

The more I think about it Paramount has no fucking balls. They love squeezing money of horror films but don't stand behind them.
Hork! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
DanceEnergy24
Stalker

1981 was one of the toughest years for slasher flicks in particular. The uncut version of My Bloody Valentine has some material that I believe could have been left in the R-rated version. The thing that really bothers me is that almost all the slashers from '81 have now been released uncut with the exception of Friday the 13th Part 2 and Happy Birthday to Me. Friday 2 is the one I want uncut the most. The following from 1981 are now available uncut: My Bloody Valentine, The Prowler, Eyes of a Stranger, The Burning.
DanceEnergy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
ronnie21
HackMaster

eyes of a stranger really tanked at the box office. but it played like a made for t.v. movie thriller of the week but with some nasty kills and nudity.. The part I found disturbing was when the girl in the car got her throat cut. the camera lingered on her choking on her own blood. that was disturbing cause she suffered. she didn't die right away..
Old 05-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
WesReviews
HackMaster

Yeah, for me, the most disturbing aspect of the uncut My Bloody Valentine is Hollis' death. He takes those nails to the head and the camera lingers on him staggering around, clearly severely injured to the brain and completely helpless and at the mercy of the killer.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
hots4
Stalker

I think the lennon shooting had a fare bearing on the MPAA becoming more strict, some of the stuff cut in my bloody valentine is pointless, but i have always found that with MPAA cuts, they never seem worth it, one or two frames here (not in all cases, but you get what i'm saying), a pointless process and a pointless organisation.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

EPIX On Demand has the R-Rated version, and I watched it Tuesday Night, and I own the Uncut version, and I actually think the Uncut is so much better, and when they cut some of the scenes, at least one if particular, I think that it lost the feel for the movie.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Paff

mod note: edited thread title to make this the "official" thread for discussing the 1981 movie My Bloody Valentine. There were many threads existing about the Blu-Ray and other releases, but none solely dedicated to the film itself. You get a pass on this one, Ronnie. This time.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
Franco
Weekender

The uncut version was NEVER released? Not even in some VHS?? I wonder if it's somewhere out there in torrents or secret sites dedicated to horror... I've searched but no luck at all.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
The uncut version was NEVER released? Not even in some VHS?? I wonder if it's somewhere out there in torrents or secret sites dedicated to horror... I've searched but no luck at all.
It wasn't released by Paramount. LionsGate licensed the film and released the uncut version onto blu-ray and DVD (the uncut footage from an inferior source).

But their license has since expired, so the rights are back to Paramount, who currently have the R-rated DVD in print.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #15
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
It wasn't released by Paramount. LionsGate licensed the film and released the uncut version onto blu-ray and DVD (the uncut footage from an inferior source).

But their license has since expired, so the rights are back to Paramount, who currently have the R-rated DVD in print.
The uncut BD's, and especially dvds, are still easy to find and cheap (BD is going up slowly). If anyone wants my uncut dvd (near mint, with the slipcover) drop me a PM and I'll hook ya up for $1 plus shipping. I recommend the blu-ray though and only sell my dvd cuz I have the blu.

The uncut version is just a much more vicious nasty movie, I fucking love it!

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote