Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Creep (2014)

I attended a screening of this movie earlier tonight. There doesn't seem to be much info out there about it. I couldn't even find a trailer, and I could only find two stills from the movie. It's a new found-footage horror movie from Blumhouse Productions (Paranormal Activity and Insidious), and it stars Mark Duplass.

This movie probably isn't for everyone, but it totally worked for me. I loved it. This coming from someone who generally dislikes found-footage and mumblecore. It's quite possibly the scariest comedy I've ever seen. The humor and the horror work extremely well here. Which isn't necessarily to say you're supposed to be laughing, most of the humor comes from the awkwardness of the whole situation. It keeps you on your toes though, because you never know when the movie is going to go for a joke or a scare. And there are moments here that are genuinely frightening.

Also, it's pretty remarkable how easily Mark Duplass can transition back and forth between sympathetic weirdo and outright terrifying. It's also remarkable how his character can maintain his creepiness given how overexposed he is. There are only two characters in the entire film, so he has a lot of screentime... and it works.

I could say more about the film or the plot, but I think the less said the better. This one will probably work best viewed cold. And it's definitely better experienced with an equally unsuspecting audience. The twists in the later half of the film aren't especially surprising or groundbreaking, but it's still better left unspoiled.

If you can stomach the found-footage genre, I would highly recommend checking this out when it is released. I can't guarantee you'll like it, but it's definitely worth the try. I'll be curious to hear everyone's opinions once they meet Peachfuzz and experience "tubby time".
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote