Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

View Poll Results: How many Blu-Ray discs do you own?
1-5 17 13.93%
6-10 14 11.48%
11-20 15 12.30%
21 plus (especify) 76 62.30%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 AM   #46
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Really? Cuz tons of blu-rays are on sale on amazon ALL the time for like $9.99-19.99. This includes most Warner titles, Criterion blu-rays (many Criterion blu-rays are actually CHEAPER than their DVD counterparts).

To be honest...with blu-rays being as cheap as they are, there's almost no reason not to upgrade.

Don't mean to be a dick to those of you who haven't made the jump yet, I'm just pointing out that blu-rays really AREN'T that expensive anymore. Even MGM has slashed their prices on blu-rays.

~Matt

For me the cost of the disks isn't as much the issue, it's the cost of a region free player (I've seen a great one for $300, which isn't bad, but I'm not quite there yet....)
msw7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #47
Matt89
HackMaster

To be honest though, I don't know how much of a point there is right now in having a region-free blu-ray player. I mean, right now the UK has a few advantages. They have Salo and Red Desert on blu-ray, and they're region-locked. However, Salo is owned by Criterion in the US, so it's bound to get a blu-ray release eventually (considering the film was completely remastered in HD) and Red Desert is coming out in 2010 from Criterion. They also have what? The Goonies, Gremlins, The Thing with all the features missing from the Region A blu-ray, but these are all region-free anyway. Warner, Universal and Paramount are universally region-free so there's no issue there.

The only thing that really bugs me that's region-locked is the BFI blu-ray of Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

But with so many titles currently mastered in HD (but still only available on DVD) they're bound to eventually hit blu. That's the way I see it, anyway.

~Matt
Old 08-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #48
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Quote:
Really? Cuz tons of blu-rays are on sale on amazon ALL the time for like $9.99-19.99. This includes most Warner titles, Criterion blu-rays (many Criterion blu-rays are actually CHEAPER than their DVD counterparts).

To be honest...with blu-rays being as cheap as they are, there's almost no reason not to upgrade.

Don't mean to be a dick to those of you who haven't made the jump yet, I'm just pointing out that blu-rays really AREN'T that expensive anymore. Even MGM has slashed their prices on blu-rays.

~Matt
i need an HDTV, bluray player, sound system, and the blu-rays....yea too much money.

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #49
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyr789 View Post
i need an HDTV, bluray player, sound system, and the blu-rays....yea too much money.
Exactly
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #50
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
To be honest though, I don't know how much of a point there is right now in having a region-free blu-ray player. I mean, right now the UK has a few advantages. They have Salo and Red Desert on blu-ray, and they're region-locked. However, Salo is owned by Criterion in the US, so it's bound to get a blu-ray release eventually (considering the film was completely remastered in HD) and Red Desert is coming out in 2010 from Criterion. They also have what? The Goonies, Gremlins, The Thing with all the features missing from the Region A blu-ray, but these are all region-free anyway. Warner, Universal and Paramount are universally region-free so there's no issue there.

The only thing that really bugs me that's region-locked is the BFI blu-ray of Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

But with so many titles currently mastered in HD (but still only available on DVD) they're bound to eventually hit blu. That's the way I see it, anyway.

~Matt

I don't know about other-region blu's, but when I upgrade I want to make sure that I maintain backwards compatibility with my existing DVDs, many of which are PAL and/or not region 1.

I could always keep my current DVD player, but if and when it dies I'd rather have a seamless transition.

So that's really the main issue for me.

(plus the reason I tend to need a region free player is that I'm impatient, and don't always wait for the region 1 release... that probably won't change in a hurry)
msw7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #51
HoldenMcNeil
Stalker

31 all together, including all 5 saw films.

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

37!!!

You Mean the Movie Lied!?
HoldenMcNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #52
Dave
Pimp

11 to 20 ; probably around 15. I did just get two more. Both Criterion's - Third Man and Seventh Seal. Yum. Next will probably be Night of the Creeps unless another good sale comes along. I may get Ghostbusters, too. $8.99 is pretty damn cheap.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #53
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i am just fine with my 4x3 TV and DVD/VHS combo with over 200 DVD (not just horror) in my collection. but having a HDTV would be nice tho

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #54
Matt89
HackMaster

Having an HDTV enhances the picture so much (even DVDs) - the image has better color, more depth. Especially many blu-rays (ones that haven't been DNR'd) - look like actual film. Criterion's The Third Man and Last Year at Marienbad are two amazing examples. They look simply stunning.

~Matt
Old 08-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #55
Stige
HackMaster

somewhere close to 100 , haven't got a seperate list so plus minus 10 would be correct. Been buying less lately because the leap on some weren't that much from the original dvd's. But all the catalog titles I have have been incredible improvements, so bring on the 70's and 80's horror
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #56
russweiss
Maniac

I currently have 41 BR titles and as prices continue to come down I'll add more. I've got nearly 2000 DVD's.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #57
Katatonia
Master of Doom

164 owned Blu-rays currently.

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #58
dickieduvet
Maniac

About 350 at last count.
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #59
Harry Warden
HackMaster

Now at 2: I have The Shining, which, by the way, looks absolutely terrific on Blu-Ray,and I just bought the unrated version of American Psycho today.
Harry Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #60
Amazonagent

I presently have 37 blu-rays. My collection was slow to start but lately with all the great deals on-line and some patience I've been ramping up my BD purchasing.