Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Euro Horror

Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
Jaws
Screamy Bopper

The Last Shark coming to NTSC DVD in 2013

Mr. Jaws here,

I saw this while surfing the net the other day..

www.dvdrulers.com/the-last-shark-dvd-news/

Apparently this company is releasing TLS (L'ultimo Squalo) on DVD in 2013. They claim it is a legit DVD, not a DVD-R like their previous stuff. And there are only 500 copies.

I did some research on the company and found stuff like this:
IMDB Page
eBay Feedback

Everything checks out fine in my book, but I'm still a bit concerned. I'm giving them a call tomorrow to talk with whoever is in charge and see what they have to say.

-Mr. Jaws
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Looking forward to it! Thanks for this info.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
dave13
HackMaster

that would be really interesting. hopefully Jaws comes back with whatever the company had to say...
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Jaws
Screamy Bopper

I talked to the guy over at DR today and he said they indeed are releasing this. He told me about some of the features on the disc..

50+ photo slideshow
3 Trailers
Interviews from Last Shark fans
and some new audio that apparently hasn't been released for the film.

I pre-ordered mine during our phone call and he said they are expected to ship early 2013.. so, kind of a long wait. He also told me they are selling rather fast.. so I guess this thing is going to be rather rare in the coming years.

-Mr. Jaws
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

While I don't want to discount the possibility that DVD Rulers has decided to go the Midnight Video route and go legit, I do want to call everyone's attention to their FAQ:

Quote:
Frequently Asked Questions

1.Is DVD Rulers selling illegal DVD's?

No ,The section of American copyright law known as "The Berne Act" clearly states: films unreleased in the United States, including original version of films altered and/or edited for release in the United States, are not protected by American copyright; thus, they are considered public domain.The point of this buisness is to provide said films on DVD for people like you.However,if a film is ever released on DVD in the US,we stop carrying the title immediately!

2.Do you transfer your titles from your own sources?

Yes! We NEVER download a film and put it on a DVD because a download is never a full 720x480 video file which is the standard size format for an NTSC DVD. All titles are from original sources.

3.What do these terms mean?

LBX -Letterboxed (Black bars at the top and bottom of the image preserving its original aspect ratio)

Uncut-No cuts needed from the MPAA have been added.

Japanese Subtitles-Small Non-Removable Japanese subtitles are at the bottom of the image.

16:9 Enhanced-When played on a 16:9 (Widescreen) TV, the black bars adjust to fit the TV so it is presented in a correct format.

4.Whats the differences between a DVD-R and DVD+R Dual Layer Disc?

DVD+R only holds 4.37 Gigabytes of data while a Dual Layer disc holds 8 gigabytes of data. A Dual Layer disc allows better quality and more extra features on the disc.
It's a warning sign when a company that has to put a Berne Act defense on their website, it screams out that they have not been engaging in legitimate commerce. And the products that they have been selling on their eBay page in the recent past also appear to be bootlegs. So while I won't say that they aren't on the level with this upcoming release, there is a legitimate chance that they are simply releasing a pressed disc with a transfer and some extras ripped from one of the European releases.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Interesting news, but I'll be passing.

I saw it once, and that was enough.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I have a decent WS bootleg DVD of this which is good enough, not sure how many more times I will ever watch it.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Steel76
Maniac

There is a very nice DVD release of this over here in Scandinavia from "Studio S/ Another World", released back in 2009.

http://www.discshop.se/filmer/dvd/ja...k_uncut/P66720

In Anamorphic Wide Screen.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
shape22
HackMaster

DVD Rulers actually has a Blu-Ray release of this film available (on burned media). Has anyone checked this out?

http://www.dvdrulers.com/blu-ray-store/
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I can matter-of-factly state that this is in no way a legit release and has not been licensed from the rights holders. I would imagine it's a boot of the Studio S release, and any "blu" would be an upconvert of that and not a legit hi-def print.

You can get the import from Diabolik -- it's the best version I've seen yet.

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/...Region-2).html
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
DVD Rulers actually has a Blu-Ray release of this film available (on burned media). Has anyone checked this out?

http://www.dvdrulers.com/blu-ray-store/
Interesting! Anyone know anyone who has bought this item?
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
nateynate87
Victim

Diabolikdvd has the DVD now in stock, so I figured what the hell and ordered it.

I have the AWE release so it'll be interesting to compare the two....

This company is also apparently releasing the Bruno Mattei Cruel Jaws in a couple months as well.
nateynate87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

The film hasn't been properly licensed from anyone, and their source is simply the import DVD. It's a glorified bootleg. They're claiming it's public domain, but there's a valid copyright in place (to both this and CRUEL JAWS, which was released on Italian DVD and I'm sure will get the same treatment...)

Basically they dumped the import DVD print into a computer, fiddled with the colors to make them more like what they wanted it to look like, and dumped it back out to DVD -- and then charge you $25 for it.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
nateynate87
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
The film hasn't been properly licensed from anyone, and their source is simply the import DVD. It's a glorified bootleg. They're claiming it's public domain, but there's a valid copyright in place (to both this and CRUEL JAWS, which was released on Italian DVD and I'm sure will get the same treatment...)

Basically they dumped the import DVD print into a computer, fiddled with the colors to make them more like what they wanted it to look like, and dumped it back out to DVD -- and then charge you $25 for it.
Yea I just stumbled upon their "restoration" video on YouTube.
nateynate87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post

That's unfortunate. Has somebody reviewed the DVD somewhere then?

They're selling it on ebay and claiming it's an "official release". But if you look at the coverart photo, it says "This is a public domain film and has no copyrights in the US".

It sounds shady... but isn't this film basically outlawed from having any official release in North America due to the original Universal lawsuit? Here's something from 2008: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37983

Last edited by Katatonia; 03-02-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote