Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
nullman
Victim

that damned dvd rot

I just noticed that on my copy of 24 season 4 disc 6 does not play episodes 3 and 4. I bought this set when it was first released and it played fine. Now I have tried it on various blu and dvd players and get the same result. The disc is spotless. Does anyone here know fox's customer service number? Probably would do no good since its fox.
nullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
booper71
HackMaster

No such thing anymore as pristine flawless media, even if you went Vudu, or UV, if they took film off service and your copy went corrupt, you'd be out.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #3
buck135
The Duke of New York

I had an issue with a defective DVD (skipping/freezing/pixilating) in the Batman: The Animated Series boxset. Warner was great about sending a replacement after I returned the bad disc. I'm sure Fox will be just as accommodating.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:37 AM   #4
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Every company needs to back their product. DVDs should last for years without any problems.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
Every company needs to back their product. DVDs should last for years without any problems.
Agreed. I'd start here:

http://shop.fox.com/foxshop/layout/c...lp.com/app/ask
Old 03-20-2015, 12:44 AM   #6
Christy
Stalker

My Kingdom Hospital disc 4 doesn't work nor has it ever worked. Lucky for me I found it sold separately so it was fixable well sort of.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:46 AM   #7
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

This might sound like a silly question but how come cds don't suffer from disc rot?
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:16 AM   #8
Katatonia
Mark of the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
This might sound like a silly question but how come cds don't suffer from disc rot?
CDs can definitely also suffer from disc rot. It's rare and generally happened to discs from certain "cheap" manufacturers, but it has and does happen.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:56 AM   #9
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Since I have a pretty extensive cd collection that is pretty unnerving.
I've only had a couple of cds so far that inexplicably started skipping always in the same spots.
That sucks, I always thought the digital media for cd at least was almost perfect.
Thanks for letting me know.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:26 AM   #10
Katatonia
Mark of the Beast

It's generally certain runs from a certain manufacturer that are prone to rotting, like PDO discs.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it though. I own thousands of CD's, and have yet to encounter any signs of rot. I also have a few CD's in my collection that were manufactured in '82-'83 when they first came out, and they still play fine.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #11
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
It's generally certain runs from a certain manufacturer that are prone to rotting, like PDO discs.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it though. I own thousands of CD's, and have yet to encounter any signs of rot. I also have a few CD's in my collection that were manufactured in '82-'83 when they first came out, and they still play fine.
Same with me. I already ripped my whole collection to MP3.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Quote:
CDs can definitely also suffer from disc rot. It's rare and generally happened to discs from certain "cheap" manufacturers, but it has and does happen.
Aren't CD's single layer, and 99% of rotting dvds are dual layer, and the glue holding the layers comes apart and causes the rot which makes them not work? That was always my semi-educated theory, and I know the dvd rot thing is correct from reading up on it and worrying about some of my rare shit rotting. Just not sure about CD specs. I know they die a lot less, although I haven't played one in years since ripping my whole collection to mp3 also.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #13
Katatonia
Mark of the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Aren't CD's single layer, and 99% of rotting dvds are dual layer, and the glue holding the layers comes apart and causes the rot which makes them not work? That was always my semi-educated theory, and I know the dvd rot thing is correct from reading up on it and worrying about some of my rare shit rotting. Just not sure about CD specs. I know they die a lot less, although I haven't played one in years since ripping my whole collection to mp3 also.
CD's are always single layer, but there are distinct differences between CD and DVD disc structure. Here's a good explanation: http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec3.html

Disc rot can have varied causes, and layer seperation is just one type of rot that's cause is generally always just bad manufacturing. It's usually because of oxidation that rotting happens.

A Full Moon Blu-ray I had rot within 6 months was just a single-layer disc.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #14
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by booper71 View Post
No such thing anymore as pristine flawless media, even if you went Vudu, or UV, if they took film off service and your copy went corrupt, you'd be out.
That's why I back up most of my movies onto a hard drive. With how small hard drives are and how easy it is to rip media these days, it was a no brainer for me. It took me like a single day to get everything on the hard drive. I don't rip all of the extras, but I at least have a copy of the film itself in case the disc takes a crap and I can't purchase a new copy. Well worth the time IMO.

That being said, it would be cool companies should have some kind of exchange program set up for this, even if it's a discount on a new copy. I think the problem for them would be verifying that the malfunctioning disc was their fault and not the customer's.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
A Full Moon Blu-ray I had rot within 6 months was just a single-layer disc.
That's just ridiculous. If a disc stops working ten years later, ok fine, it's an old disc, but six months? Awful. I've had dvd's that I've burned on my laptop in high school last longer than that.