Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

The 2014 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Hey gang!!! It's that time again (well almost that time again) and as usual we'll be doing the horror movie tracking thingamajig. How's it work? Well I'm glad you asked! Here's how: Every year the people here on Horror Digital watch a crap load of horror-related movies/tv shows and then come to this thread to brag, write a review, post pics, or get ideas for what to watch next. Just do a post for each movie you watch for each day. It really is fun, especially if everyone joins in and gets in the spirit. It lasts all month and hopefully everyone will join in starting October 1st at 12 a.m. Sound like fun? Of course it does. Sound hard? Not at all. Just check out last year's thread to get an idea how it works. It's here.

So just do it already. Join in or else all your horror movies will burst into flames. I won't feel sorry for you at all...ok maybe a little bit.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
othervoice1
HackMaster

I am set and ready to go - I may have to stream a few on my tablet since my job may be flying me out to Connecticut sometime in October on short notice for a week or more. But that is why I have a lot of movies on VUDU <:
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #3
X-human
I ate my keys

Boo!

2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.

00 10/01 Bewitched: Samantha and the Antique Doll (S07E28 1971)
01 10/01 Vampira: The Thirteenth Guest (1932)
02 10/02 The Cat and the Canary (1939)
03 10/03 The Legend of Hell House (1973)
04 10/03 WNUF Halloween Special (2013)
05 10/04 Svengoolie: The Monster and the Girl (1941)
00 10/04 Rifftrax: Total Riff Off - Demon Bat (2014)
06 10/04 Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht ( Nosferatu the Vampyre ) (1979)
07 10/04 Nosferatu ( Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens ) (1922)
08 10/05 Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
09 10/06 The Vampire Lovers (1970)
10 10/07 Twins of Evil (1971)
11 10/08 Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)
12 10/09 Valerie and Her Week of Wonders ( Valerie a tżden divů ) (1970)
13 10/10 Witchfinder General (1968)
14 10/10 The Wicker Man (1973)
15 10/11 Svengoolie: The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
16 10/11 Svengoolie: The Uninvited (1944)
17 10/12 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Killer Shrews (1959)
18 10/12 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Giant Gila Monster (1959)
19 10/12 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Giant Spider Invasion (1975)
20 10/13 Black Sunday ( La Maschera del demonio ) (1960)
21 10/14 Black Sabbath ( I Tre volti della paura ) (1963)
22 10/15 Baron Blood ( Gli orrori del castello di Norimberga ) (1972)
23 10/16 Lisa and the Devil ( Lisa e il diavolo ) (1973)
24 10/17 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Werewolf (1996)
25 10/17 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Soultaker (1990)
26 10/17 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Zombie Nightmare (1986)
27 10/18 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Hobgoblins (1987)
00 10/18 Halloween Is Grinch Night (1977)
28 10/18 Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
29 10/18 Spider Baby, or The Maddest Story Ever Told (1968)
00 10/18 The Legend of Sleepy Hollow ( The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad ) (1949)
30 10/19 Viy ( Вий ) (1967)
31 10/20 White Zombie (1932)
32 10/21 House of Usher (1960)
33 10/22 Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
34 10/23 The Haunted Palace (1963)
35 10/24 The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
36 10/25 Svengoolie: The Wolf Man (1941)
37 10/25 The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
38 10/25 Svengoolie: Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
39 10/26 Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954)
40 10/27 The Invisible Man (1933)
41 10/28 The Island of Lost Souls (1932)
42 10/29 The Mummy (1932)

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?

Last edited by X-human; Today at 04:29 AM.
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:20 AM   #4
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Yep. My first movie will once again be Silver Bullet. At the stroke of midnight on October first. I booked the 1st off so I can hit the ground running. Can't wait! I have a crap ton of other blu rays/dvds that I own that I've never watched and am going to try to get through as many as possible, plus maybe clear out some of the old Netflix queue.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
rift
Stalker

Sounds like a plan. I'm all stocked up for Oct 1st with the Halloween box set (plus the other releases necessary to make it complete), Prom Night blu ray, and Prom Night 2-4 on dvd. I plan to go through the Halloween set methodically, disc to disc watching/listening to everything.

I honestly think that will take me through the whole month (hey, whatta ya want, I got a 4 month old and a wife who doesn't like horror movies!).
rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I can't wait! I have been holding off watching all of the recent releases for next month!

I started the season off with a double-header: The insane Italian "classic" BURIAL GROUND: NIGHTS OF TERROR and the recent THE QUIET ONES. Now, I don't have anything against "jump-scares" but jesusfuckingchrist! They were so frequent that it destroyed any enjoyment on my part. That's a shame because I was into the story and the actors seemed more likable than normal.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."

Last edited by Myron Breck; 10-02-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
SpaceAce
Maniac

I just watched Children of the corn (original) to get me in the fall mood...looking forward to watching plenty of horror movies real soon. I think this weekend will be the dilapidated carnival movie night: "Dark Ride" followed by "The Funhouse".
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
bigmix007
Victim

Watched TCM this week, wife had never seen it. So I think we are going to choose movies she has never seen, and toss in a few classics.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Workshed
October!

It's the best time o' year!

I've got an Oct. 1st watch party at my place with some friends, beers, treats, and KISS OF THE DAMNED.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
Zillamon51
Maniac

Talking

UPDATE 10/17

First week / weekend of October:

Tusk: Full disclosure: I am not a fan of Kevin Smithís films. I havenít seen all of them, but of the few I have, Iíve noticed a pattern. No matter how good most of the film is, he always injects some extreme vulgarity that is so nasty, itís distracting and detrimental to the whole experience. With that out of the way, I will say that I enjoyed Tusk. Just as Michael Bay did earlier this year with Transformers: AoE, Smith has reigned in some of his excesses. I donít know if this is his best film, but itís my favorite of his. Justin Long and Michael Parks give good performances. It moves back and forth from creepy horror to absurdist humor, but just go with it. You will believe that a man can become a walrus! (The rubber suit is awesome; creepy, hokey, and sad all at once.)

Ghostbusters: This was supposed to be a one-week limited engagement in September for its 30th anniversary (has it really been that long?), but it played locally for several weeks. This is an absolute classic supernatural comedy FX blockbuster. It was a riot when it first came out, and it holds up well today. From the big FX scenes, to the funny character moments, it all works. Followed by a disappointing sequel, and currently scheduled for a gimmicky all-girl reboot.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976): For many years, that hooded mask stared at me from video store shelves. Iíve always wanted to see it, and I picked up that clamshell VHS box many times, but for whatever reason, I just never got around to renting it. So shortly after it showed up on Netflix, I queued it up. This is a pretty good true-crime horror / thriller shot in semi-documentary style. It has good period atmosphere, but some inept cop humor (perhaps borrowed from The Last House on the Left) that doesnít work. Iím interested in the Shout! Factory Blu-ray now, and thatís a compliment. There is also a sequel / remake coming out: http://youtu.be/iFnQ250vdAg .

Dracula: The Dark Prince: A solid TV movie from the director of the abysmal Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers. This tells the fact-based story of Romaniaís Vlad the Impaler, the real-life monarch who inspired Dracula. Heís infamous for his cruelty, but regarded as a hero by his people for standing against the invading Turks. This is a bit of a political / conspiracy thriller, as Vladís methods bring him into conflict with both the Church and the Nobility. While the low budget definitely shows, I found this intriguing and well-acted when it debuted, and it holds up fairly well. I hope thereís a 16:9 version that eventually makes its way to Blu-ray. Also works well as a companion piece to this yearís Dracula Untold.

Paranorman: Norman, a boy who can see and talk to dead people, saves his small town from a witchís curse in this delightful animation from the creepy cats at Laika (makers of Coraline and this yearís Boxtrolls). A terrific Halloween pick for kids and families, with great-looking stop-motion animation, and old-school horror references for fans. I enjoyed this even more than when I first saw it in theaters, as there is just so much atmosphere and detail to drink in.

UPDATE 10/19:

Second week / weekend of October:

The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season: This season is cleanly divided into two parts: Life in the prison, and life on the road after the prison. After a viral outbreak, the season peaks early with the return of the Governor. Then the survivors are scattered; they meet new enemies and new allies, and march towards an uncertain fate at the mysterious Terminus, the end of the line. When this season originally aired, I thought the second half was meandering. This time around, I better appreciated the variety and character work. IMO, still the best show on TV. I wish the relevant Talking Dead episodes would be included in the Blu-ray season sets.

UPDATE 10/23:

Third week of October:

Dracula Untold: A supernatural action film focusing on Draculaís origins as Vlad the Impaler, Prince of Romania. I was legitimately excited for this. Whenís the last time we got to see a new legit Dracula movie in theaters at Halloween? Iím glad to say, I liked it a lot. I liked all the actors, and the FX are great. Itís played straight, not humorous like the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies. Two things I didnít like: It feels short, like it was edited down from a longer cut (which will hopefully be on the Blu-ray). Also, I didnít like the ending. No spoilers, but it felt tacked on for the sake of setting up the new Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe.

Annabelle: The Conjuring prequel focusing on the possessed doll. The period setting is well realized, as this looks and feels much like a 1970s supernatural thriller. Itís done in an almost documentary style, and it feels kind of flat. For something that clearly references Rosemaryís Baby, it could have used a bit more style. Effective, but fairly tame. Why was this rated R? I like that itís played straight; I prefer that to jokey / ironic horror. I just think that if youíre going to (maybe) kill a priest in a Ď70s-style movie, you should go all-out and earn that R, even if for only one scene. Overall, I liked it though.

The Boogens: Attempts to re-open a mine are derailed when blasting releases subterranean creatures that prey on the townsfolk. I discovered this movie a few years ago when peeps on this board got excited about it being shown on TCM. Thanks! I like the late Ď70s / early Ď80s feel. The characters are likable, which is often overlooked, but goes a long way in a horror movie. The dog is adorable! I really like the creatures as well; rubber monsters that are mean but kind of cute. Like evil Pokťmon. Yeah, I said that.

UPDATE 10/27:

Third weekend of October:

The Purge: Anarchy: The Purge was one of last yearís worst movies. So despite looking forward to this one since the first trailer dropped, I only just caught it at the dollar show. Despite still being sold as horror, this is more of a gritty dystopian action film. This is a much stronger film than the first; the world is opened up, showing many different elements of the lawless night. Mercenaries! Martyrs! Rebels! Canned hunts for rich douchebags! Despite some stupidity, I enjoyed it. Looking forward to future installments.

Monster House: Pretty good family Halloween flick. Itís kind of an Ď80s throwback in that the kids who know the score have to team up and get things done, while all the adults are clueless. The CG animation looks a bit dated. This is one of those Robert Zemekis joints that is supposed to be realistic, not stylized. Itís fun, itís got some laughs, and the monster house uprooting itself and rampaging through the neighborhood is pretty neat.

Fourth week of October:

I finally opened up Halloween: The Complete Collection 15-disc LE Blu-ray box set last weekend. I really like the sturdy box and the black cases w/ original artwork. The box is in great shape, none of the cases are cracked, no floaters, no ďcold soreĒ Michael. I immediately added in the 35th Anniversary Edition booklet, and swapped out the mislabeled RZH1. My H4 replacement is on order. Despite not liking the fragility of the eco-cases, I will keep them for lack of suitable replacements, and maybe add some adhesive hubs for additional discs. On to the moviesÖ.

Halloween (1978): There's nothing new to say about this one that hasn't already been said. It's quite possibly the single most influential horror film ever made. Many slashers followed in its wake, but most chose to concentrate on gore rather than try to replicate the visual artistry and suspense of this classic. Everything about it is iconic: The silent unstoppable masked killer, the best final girl, the instantly recognizable music. Last yearís 35th Anniversary Edition had a great new transfer, color-corrected and showing more detail than ever before. This version is the same, but with the true original mono sound. While I like the 7.1 remix, it was good to go back this year.

Halloween II (1981): Though not quite as good as the original, this is one of my favorite slashers. It has some of the same style as the first film, but the wider color palette and the electronic version of the familiar music themes give it its own unique feel as well. It also has a mean-spiritedness to it that contrasts well with the first film and adds to its appeal (without getting really nasty like the Rob Zombie entries). This set also includes the TV version, which is hilarious with all of its awkwardly re-looped dialogue, disappearing characters, clumsy editing, and alternate ending.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch: The Myers-less "black sheep" of the Halloween series is actually a great horror movie in its own right. It's a combination supernatural / mystery / techno-thriller with a great holiday feel to it (despite being set in sunny California). Tom Atkins is The Man here. In his panning of the film, the late great Roger Ebert described lead actress Stacey Nelkin as an appealing young actress deserving of better roles. I agree wholeheartedly with the first part, but she does well here too. It's good to see this movie move out of Michael's long shadow in recent years and gain a following of its own.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers: My favorite Myers sequel. A true return to form that combines the originalís emphasis on suspense with a few well-executed gory bits to good overall effect. Michaelís niece Jamie and her adopted big sister Rachel are genuinely likable and sympathetic leads. With one of the best twist endings ever, this really should have been the end of the series, at least until H20. Alas, that was not to beÖ.

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers: This sequel has a strong visual style and a couple of really good sequences. It has some weak points, such as killing Rachel too soon and replacing her with a goofy surrogate, the worst Keystone Cops since The Last House on the Left, and a pretty big continuity blunder in making the Myers house a huge gothic mansion. On top of that, it also has a couple of WTF elements like the Man in Black, and Michaelís yearlong sleepover at Pirate Cove. And through it all, Loomis just keeps getting crazier and crazier. All in all, one of the weaker series entries.

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (Theatrical Version): The worst of the series. A sad and depressing end for Jamie Lloyd, a totally unsatisfying reveal of the Man in Black (built up as a badass in H5, heís now just some old doctor?), unlikable characters, and worst of all, Michael Myers is now some kind of Druid assassin?! Was his mask a Silver Shamrock product all along? Was the cult trying to clone him in that basement, and is he the father of Jamieís baby? Ick! Instead of Loomis, it's this movie that should have died unseen in the dark.

Last Year

October 2012

October 2011

October 2010

Last edited by Zillamon51; 10-27-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Updated
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
Mok
Family is Forever

I started way early on this. Knee deep already. Halloween starts in the quarter-year leading up to it for me. But I'll limit what I post to October
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
Workshed
October!

I've never seen Hocus Pocus, and that's my gf's contribution to this year's list.

Also looking forward to the WNUF Halloween Special recommended on here and a back-to-back Bride of Frankenstein/Young Frankenstein viewing.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #13
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I can't believe it's already that time of year again (not that I am complaining!). Managed to pull off 82 movies last year and hopefully this year will be just as jam packed. Already have my Netflix ques set and ready, and here is a taste of what I plan on viewing in addition to the classics:

ABCís Of Death 2
Alien Abduction
All Cheerleaders Die
Almost Human
Alyce Kills
The Baby
Bad Milo
Battery
The Believers (1987)
Black Sabbath
Blood Glacier
Buck Wild
Cabin Fever: Patient Zero
The Cat & The Canary (1927)
Contracted
Count Yorga, Vampire
The Dead 2
The Den
Devilís Pass
Doc Of The Dead
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1920)
Dust Devil
Errors Of The Human Body
Escape From Tomorrow
Exists
Female Vampire
Five Dolls For An August Moon
Found
Grabbers
Haunter
Hell (2011)
Houses October Built
Kill, Baby, Kill!
Last Days On Mars
Life After Beth
Nightmare City
Oculus
Odd Thomas
Open Grave
Patrick: Evil Awakens
Plus One
Proxy
The Purge: Anarchy
The Quiet Ones
Return Of Count Yorga
The Returned
Ritual (2012)
See No Evil 2
Vampire Lovers
V/H/S - Viral
Wake In Fright
We Are What We Are (2013)
Wer
Witching & Bitching
Old 09-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #14
MorallySound
There is no magic.

October Madness (Bold=First time watch)
01: At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1964) (D) - ****
02: This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse (1967) (D) - ****
03: Bad Taste (1987) (D) - ***1/2
04: Night of the Demons (1987) (D) - ***
04: The Strange World of Coffin Joe (1968) (D) - **1/2
05: Bad Dreams (1988) (V) - **
05: Motel Hell (1980) (B) - ***1/2
06: Slaughterhouse (1987) (V) - ***
06: The Awakening of the Beast (1970) (D) - **1/2
07: The End of Man (1971) (D) - **
07: Bride of Re-Animator (Unrated) (1989) (D) - **
08: We Are What We Are (2013) (N) - **1/2
08: The Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures (1976) (D) - ***
08: Ganja & Hess (1973) (B) - ***
09: Hellish Flesh (1977) (D) - **1/2
09: The Deadly Spawn (1983) (D) - ****
10: Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind (1978) (D) - **
10: H.P. Lovecraft's The Unnamable (1988) (V) - **
11: The Unnamable II: The Statement of Randolph Carter (1992) (V) - **1/2
11: The Strange World of Josť Mojica Marins (2001) (D) - ***
12: The Conjuring (2013) (B) - ***1/2
12: Black Magic (1975) (D) - **1/2
12: The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974) (B) - ****
13: The Blood Spattered Bride (1972) (D) - ***
13: I Vampiri (1957) (D) - ***1/2
13: Freaked (1993) (D) - ****
13: The Devil's Express (1975) (D) - ***1/2
14: Gore-met Zombie Chef from Hell (1986) (V) - *1/2
14: Borgman (2013) (T) - ***
15: ABCs of Death 2 (2014) (VOD) - **
15: Deadtime Stories (1985) (V) - ****
16: Hšxan (1922) (D) - ****1/2
16: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1968) (D) - ***
17: Mad Monster Party (1967) (V) - ***1/2
18: Neighbor Hoodz (aka Devil Snow) (1991) (V) - ***1/2
18: The Bloodstained Shadow (1978) (D) - *1/2
19: Short Night of Glass Dolls (1971) (D) - ***
19: Who Saw Her Die? (1972) (D) - ***
19: Vampire Blues (1999) (D) - ***
20: Vampire Junction (2001) (D) - *1/2
20: Dracula Untold (2014) (T) - *1/2
21: Daughter of Dracula (1972) (D) - ****
21: Halloween (1978) (B) - ****
22: Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) (B) - ****
23: The Lost Boys (1987) (T) - ***1/2
23: From Dusk Till Dawn (1995) (T) - *****
24: Spasms (1982) (V) - *1/2
25: Insidious (2011) (N) - ***1/2
26: Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013) (N) - ***1/2
26: Waxwork (1988) (D) - ***
26: Waxwork II: Lost in Time (1991) (D) - ***
26: V/H/S: Viral (2014) (VOD) - ***
26: The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014) (VOD) - 1/2*
27: Eyes Without a Face (1960) (B) - ****1/2
27: Blood of the Beast (1949) (B) - ****
27: Bloody Moon (1980) (B) - ***1/2
28: Nekromantik (1987) (B) - ***
28: Halloween II (1981) (B) - ***

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado

Last edited by MorallySound; Yesterday at 06:42 PM.
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #15
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
I started way early on this. Knee deep already. Halloween starts in the quarter-year leading up to it for me. But I'll limit what I post to October
I'm assuming that most of the people on here watch horror all year `round. It just intensifies a bit in October. Personally, I try to not watch any horror for the second half of September to build up the excitement a bit. Makes the 1st seem like a major holiday to me. Of course it helps that I always book the 1st off of work so I can start off with a crap load of movies on day one.