Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Glenberry
Screamy Bopper

Low Budget Canadian Horror.

I"ve been a fan of low budget Canadian horror film for quite some time. I love films like The Gate, The Brood. Ginger Snaps( and it's sequels), Splice, the Kiss and My Bloody Valentine to name a few. But things have seemed to have slowed a bit in the last little while. I was told about this film coming out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLF347a8Iqs

Looks promising( for hand held) but is anyone aware of any other Canuck films coming out in that genre?
Glenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Mok
Helena Harper

Heh, looks alright. Blair Witch inspired for sure. Thanks for the heads up.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I'm a sucker for Canadian horror as well. Their modern indies have production values that today's American indie-horror is sorely lacking. Can't say that the trailer above impressed though.

As for recent ones, I would highly recommend The Conspiracy. It was quietly dumped straight-to-DVD a few months ago and received little to no fan fare. Which is a shame, because it's sure to be one of the best genre films of the year. I loved it! Definitely give it a look.

I watched one about a week ago called Solo. It was about a camp counselor who is forced to spend the night alone on an island as a training exercise, but finds herself stranded with a killer. It was a little slow, but decent. Beautiful locations.

On the slasher movie front, we recently had the fun and well-produced musical slasher Stage Fright, the bloodless but watchable Death Do Us Part, and the campy low-budget Psycho Cop rip-off Legend Of The Psychotic Forest Ranger.

There was American Mary and Tucker & Dale Vs Evil, both of which manged to find an audience.

In terms of upcoming movies, both Torment and Afflicted are being released on DVD in July, both of which have received decent reviews. Torment is a home invasion movie starring Canadian scream queen Katharine Isabelle.

If you don't mind TV instead of movies, I'd highly recommend Todd & The Book Of Pure Evil. Very fun little TV series. It's available on DVD, or I think they still have the entire series up on NetFlix. Canada is responsible for two of my favorite genre TV shows: Big Wolf On Campus and Are You Afraid Of The Dark? Also, not exactly the same thing, but I'm currently re-watching the US produced but Canadian lensed TV series Harper's Island, a 13 episode slasher series. Great fun and worth a look (I believe it's on Netflix as well).

Even though this one is several years old, another good indie-horror recommendation is End Of The Line from Maurice Devereaux (director of $lashers, another strong recommendation). Terrific and creative little indie film that deserved a much bigger audience.

Also, if you're a fan of Canadian horror, then They Came From Within: A History Of Canadian Horror Cinema by Caelum Vatnsdal is an essential book purchase. And hopefully you've got the Canuxploitation bookmarked.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Brandon Cronenberg (son of David) had a pretty decent little film with Anti-viral Although it may qualify more as sci-fi than horror. Very much shows the influence of his father, but still pretty interesting in its own right
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
spawningblue
Deadite

Wolfcop _ I haven't seen this recently released film, but it looks like good campy fun.

Hobo with a Shotgun - I'm sure you know of this, not horror though.

My Little Eye - One of the better found footage films, before found footage was all the rage. Pretty much Big Brother if it there was a killer let loose.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Wolfcop _ I haven't seen this recently released film, but it looks like good campy fun.
Unfortunately it sucked. Poorly scripted, acted, and shot (it's extremely under lit for one thing...). The only things it has going for it are the soundtrack and the practical effects, which were surprisingly excellent considering the overall lower-than-low budget look and feel of the rest of the film...

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
Unfortunately it sucked. Poorly scripted, acted, and shot (it's extremely under lit for one thing...). The only things it has going for it are the soundtrack and the practical effects, which were surprisingly excellent considering the overall lower-than-low budget look and feel of the rest of the film...
Bummer! Had high hopes.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Hobo with a Shotgun - I'm sure you know of this, not horror though.
Which is pretty fuckin' sad- that film had more fucking style and atmosphere than every goddamn thing I've been sold on as horror in the last 11 goddamn years. (Well, maybe not atmosphere- but it still left one hell of an impression on me. Something 8 million other self-proclaimed horror films made after 2002 couldn't do.)

Although, if it were an Asian film, we'd be calling it horror.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
Glenberry
Screamy Bopper

Thanks for the responses fellas. I"ll certainly chase up some of those titles....although I have seen "End of the Line" which was really quite good. One of the few films that I recall where they used practical effects that seemed like CGI ie - the minions in the subway.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Glenberry
Screamy Bopper

Gitaskog - webpage

I found the webpage for that Canuck film and it showcases the names and credentials of the people behind it. I"ve heard of the film "Mr Viral" but I don't think it has gotten distribution yet:

http://www.gitaskog.com/

Does anyone know any of these people and the films listed that they have worked on?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
jamesbrummel
Screamy Bopper

The Corpse Eaters

Just saw some footage on Nightmare Canada on youtube, looks right up my ally. The music and style look a lot like Children Shouldn't Play....etc.
jamesbrummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #12
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

The Conspiracy was just added to streaming NetFlix in the U.S.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, it's not to be missed.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbrummel View Post
Just saw some footage on Nightmare Canada on youtube, looks right up my ally. The music and style look a lot like Children Shouldn't Play....etc.
The Corpse Eaters is pretty great, definitely Canada's answer to the original NOTLD. I was only able to watch it once at a Calgary Underground Film Festival screening back in 2005, but it brought down the house. It's only an hour long and I remember some hilarious padding with just random nature shots of birds and trees and stuff for no reason. It was lovably earnest and fun to watch as an original zombie movie that wasn't really influenced by the post-Dawn of the Dead wave of zombie mythology. Would love to watch it again.