Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Spacetraveler
Stalker

Anyone getting "Space 1999 Season one" on Blu Ray?

Is anyone planning on getting this show on Blu-Ray? The cheapest place online I could find it at is familyvideo.com at $61.99 plus $1.99 shipping. Amazon.com has it too but it's $70. If anyone knows where they sell it for less please post as well.
Spacetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

I picked up the Complete set on DVD a while back and still haven't made it all the way through the first season, so I doubt I'll upgrade. Thanks for the reminder the watch the DVDs I have though!
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
Katatonia
In Death's Shadow

This should be in the High Definition section.

I'm going to wait on some reviews (and a price drop hopefully) before I buy it, especially since the disc count will be different between the UK and US Blu-ray sets.

The old complete DVD set is actually pretty nice.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
maybrick
HackMaster

I have fond memories of the show from my childhood and so I downloaded the entire series on bittorrent about 6 years ago. To this day I still haven't watched more than 5 episodes.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Erick H.
HackMaster

I have the old megaset so I won't be upgrading anytime soon.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I have fond memories of the show from my childhood and so I downloaded the entire series on bittorrent about 6 years ago. To this day I still haven't watched more than 5 episodes.
Yeah, I DL'd a bunch of them and picked up a few old VHS copies cheap. I too, haven't watched what I have and think Blu-Ray is a waste for a series like that! It was fun as a kid and to revisit here and there, but not on Blu-Ray!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Katatonia
In Death's Shadow

I splurged and bought it, since Amazon had it down to $41.99.

Simply put, these look stunning in HD. There's simply no contest compared to the old DVD transfers, this is a huge improvement and easily blows them away. The colors are richer, the level of clarity and detail is greatly increased, and there's more image shown on all sides of the 1.33:1 frame. Some screengrabs are posted on the DVDBeaver and Blu-ray.com (not full 1080 captures) reviews.

The package itself is an HD Keep Case (about an inch thick) with an outer Slip Cover (O-Ring) that's somewhat metallic/reflective foil.

I haven't yet checked out any of the extra features, but most of those (not all) are included on 2 standard-definition DVD's included. It's 5 Blu-rays and 2 DVD's included (7 discs total) in the set.

The audio gets a bump up with DTS 5.1 audio on all episodes. The original "Mono" audio is also an included option. We get two new Anderson audio commentaries on two episodes, and isolated music scores for all of the other episodes.

Hopefully they'll remaster the Season 2 episodes (though they're not as good) and release them in the future.

Last edited by Katatonia; 12-30-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I would love to pick this set up, but the SRP is pretty steep, and even at over 50% off ($41.99) the price is a bit more than I'd like to pay for it. Same goes for the Twilight Zone blu-ray seasons.

I'm hoping for something in the $25 range. I will probably be waiting a long time, but I'm okay with that.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
Erick H.
HackMaster

I'm sure they'll put out a complete series set,I may bite on that in the future.Everyone I know who has seen the new transfers have given them tip top marks.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
Katatonia
In Death's Shadow

"The Complete Second Series" is coming out in the UK, autumn 2015: http://networkonair.com/shop/2090-sp...626801847.html

It'll probably also be released in the US shortly after, but there's no guarantee of that.

There's a limited edition (of 1999) teaser Blu-ray that Network are offering (see the above link) with the 2-parter The Bringers of Wonder and the feature film version of Destination: Moonbase-Alpha.

It ships in early December. I went ahead and ordered one...total cost shipped to the USA is under $20.