Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #751
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser40 View Post
The Monster Squad just hit my mailbox

no, to go on a little rant : what's with the cheap Photoshop-cover on this one?

if i didn't know this movie and i would see it in a bin, i would be happily throwing it back

but on the inside you find a nice insert of the original poster/VHS cover, why don't they use that instead?
Yeah it definitely isn't as good as the original movie poster. The real shitty thing is, here in Canada we didn't get the sweet poster insert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dvd View Post
Stopped by Walmart today.. picked up a couple from the bargain Bin and cheap shelf... I got...

I couldn't believe it. When I went to the register the elderly lady at the check-out comes out with "An unrated movie... I hope you are 17!" I laughed and said yeah I hope so! That is when she shocked me. She told me she really needed to know that I am over 17 and wanted to see my ID. OMG! I am a 39 year old man... and look nothing like a teenager! My jaw dropped and I just looked behind me to the man waiting in line... all he could do is shake his head and laugh. So I give her the my ID and tell her I am 39. she sells me my movie and I go to the car still in shock half way home.

Now I just hope The Hills Have Eyes is at least worth the extra trouble it was to get it!
haha that's hilarious. I am 25 and still get ID'd for weird stuff. A few months ago I got ID'd when I was seeing an R rated movie in the theater. I couldn't believe it!

As for the movie, I love it! I actually think it is better then the original film (and from the poll I made earlier, seems like I am not alone in this thinking). Either way, it is a great flick and definitely one of the best remakes to come along. If you can get past the fact that it IS a remake, which some people just can't for some reason, then you will be in for a treat. Really tense and disturbing in scenes, with some great Direction and gore!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #752
captain_brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Yeah it definitely isn't as good as the original movie poster. The real shitty thing is, here in Canada we didn't get the sweet poster insert.

haha that's hilarious. I am 25 and still get ID'd for weird stuff. A few months ago I got ID'd when I was seeing an R rated movie in the theater. I couldn't believe it!

As for the movie, I love it! I actually think it is better then the original film (and from the poll I made earlier, seems like I am not alone in this thinking). Either way, it is a great flick and definitely one of the best remakes to come along. If you can get past the fact that it IS a remake, which some people just can't for some reason, then you will be in for a treat. Really tense and disturbing in scenes, with some great Direction and gore!
Yeah that was a funny sotry indeed, as I'm 26, but I look like a teenager cause of my baby face, and I get ID'd regularly, much to my annoyance. I was ID'd a few months back when I went to see the 3-D redux of the My Bloody Valentine remake at a multiplex. I only rarely buy movies retail, as I prefer to buy from Amazon monthly in bulk orders as I have since around late '02, but occasionally I might go ahead and pick up somethin' on the rack in the isles that I know I'm gonna order anyhow. Amusingly enough, occasionally at this conveiance store, a [K] (Circle K) that one of my older brother's, Erik, likes to go into to buy his cartons of smokes, is that occasionally I might go in and do him a favor and get his Doral's, or just be snet in, and I always remember to bring my wallet that I got from Khol's last Christmas season, and yet, I almost NEVER get carded. Go figured *shrugs*

I'll also admit to looking through the Super Wal-Mart's cheapo $5 as well. Occasionally you'll find some finds in there.

But yeah, can't wait untill I'm old enough to age a little more in the face so I won't be fuckin' carded all the time. not that I mind it, but it gets annoying.

Also, the Hills Have Eyes remake does get shit on, but like Spawning, I liked it more then when I finally saw Craven's dated original on the Anchor Bay disc I bought. It's a fine modern re-telling. Alexander Aja is a cool film maker in my eyes (Haute Tension, ect). Enjoy it!

Last edited by captain_brandon; 04-22-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #753
addicted2dvd
Maniac

Good to know some enjoyed it. Unfortunately I never seen (and don't have) the original. Maybe I should pick it up soon too.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #754
hellraiser40
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post

yeah, in this case the remake is way better than the original, which almost made me fall asleep. not that the gore's the only thing that counts, the remake is indeed much more tense
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #755
addicted2dvd
Maniac

hmmmm... or maybe I shouldn't
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #756
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

Picked this up at Target for $9.99

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #757
Body Boy
HackMaster

Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #758
Uncle Jay
Stalker

Excellent buys, Body Boy!

DVD

The Outrage (1964, Martin Ritt)
The Wicker Man [Limited Edition Wooden Box Set] (1973, Robin Hardy)
Future-Kill (1985, Ronald W. Moore)
Funny Man (1994, Simon Sprackling)
Mission to Mars (2000, Brian DePalma)

LASERDISC

Razorback (1984, Russell Mulcahy)
Ninja Turf (1985, Richard Park)
Scorpion (1986, William Riead)

-UJ

Uncle Jay's Laserdiscs
Uncle Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #759
Uncle Jay
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shithead View Post
I bought that last year, great quadruple feature!

-UJ

Uncle Jay's Laserdiscs
Uncle Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #760
spawningblue
Deadite

Role Models Blu Ray USED $18
Critters USED $6
Stardust USED $6
Punisher: Extended Cut USED $6

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #761
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shithead View Post
thats a real odd collection of films, isn't it? you've got two wolf-themed movies, a medical thriller and a sci-fi remake/sequel. i can't remember if coma was any good....i read the book and saw the movie waaaaay back, but can't remember how the movie was. i remember that the book had a lot of medical terminology in and was hard to understand (when i was about 10). i'd like an SE of bad moon though, i really dug that one. but i remember wolfen being a big letdown. again, its been a while - should i check it out again, or is it really not that good?

my recent buys:

of unknown origin
the brood
film noir double feature: act of violence/mystery street
the terminator: special edition (my shiny covered copy was stolen a few years back and its taken me till now to find another copy of it - this one's got the standard cover, but its great to have it again)

-all of these were $5 at an outlet mall!

also ordered through amazon:

midnight movies double feature: vampire lovers/countess dracula

Last edited by dave13; 04-23-2009 at 06:35 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #762
captain_brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
thats a real odd collection of films, isn't it? you've got two wolf-themed movies, a medical thriller and a sci-fi remake/sequel.
I was gonna say the exact same thing. This year I've slowly got all the first four Superman movies in their two-disc editions, cause I like the packaging and I never got any of the boxsets, and a few weeks back I saw they're in the 4-Film Favorites series. Interesting. But I'm glad I got what I got.

Anyway I was in Super Wal-Mart the other day and went ahead and got a noteable vamp mini-classic (dispite what I feel are two deaths later on in the film that go on much longer then they should) that I was gonna order through Amazon next month anyhow:

Tom Holland's Fright Night. Don't know why it's taken me so long to snatch it up, but I'm glad I finally did.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #763
Matt89
HackMaster

Band of Outsiders - Criterion Collection (Jean-Luc Godard, 1964)

~Matt
Old 04-25-2009, 04:11 AM   #764
dave13
HackMaster

blu-ray:

hellraiser

dvd:
x-men trilogy ($15 with movie cash to new wolverine flick...not bad)
fox film noir: nightmare alley
fox film noir: panic in the streets
valley of the dolls

those last three were only 3.99 each at best buy!
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #765
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Got it Tues. Apr. 21st - 1 week before release.
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote