Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
X-human
I ate my keys

Spielberg himself squashed the HD-DVD release of Jaws in 2007. I did a quick search for an article and this came up: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=568

Spielberg, Lucas and Jackson: directors don't come much bigger than that so they carry a lot of weight. Also as someone mentioned Universal has a working relationship with Dreamworks, which has been on the rocks (especially in 2007, that's when it came to a head) so they're placating Spielberg a lot.

Close Enounters was more of the exception than the rule. Sony basically started throwing everything they could on Blu-ray, and if that ment stepping on Spielberg's toes so be it. Spielberg was somewhat involved but I'm sure Sony/Columbia said "like it or not, it's coming out because we gotta save Blu-ray." Since Lucas has admitted having investments in Blu-ray (so much so that he even stated at one point he was going to try to skip DVD all together [sometime before 2002]) I'm guessing Spielberg played along.

Now that things have settled down I'm sure it's business as usual; which means waiting for Blu-ray to hit mass adoption before bringing out the big guns. It's what happened on DVD, it's what they'll do with Blu-ray. Hell even the first three Indiana Jones movies didn't come out with Crystal Skull, and those were remastered for their first DVD release just a couple years ago.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #17
poorlogic

HBO is currently showing Jaws in HD (1/7, 9:15 AM), decent PQ (lot's of grain).

Here's when it will be on again:

http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/Sch...L&FOCUS_ID=560

EDIT...Looks like the AR is 1.78:1 - wasn't this 2.35:1?

Last edited by poorlogic; 01-07-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #18
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlogic View Post
HBO is currently showing Jaws in HD (1/7, 9:15 AM), decent PQ (lot's of grain).

Here's when it will be on again:

http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/Sch...L&FOCUS_ID=560

EDIT...Looks like the AR is 1.78:1 - wasn't this 2.35:1?
Yeah, Jaws was most definitely 2.35:1.

~Matt
Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
Maniac

Yeah, Jaws will make a great addition to the blu collection. Jaws 2 will be nice alongside it as well. Jaws 3 sucked hard, and 4 wasn't as bad as 3, but still sucked nonetheless. Even Sir Michael Caine couldn't save it from the crapper.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #20
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Yeah, Jaws will make a great addition to the blu collection. Jaws 2 will be nice alongside it as well. Jaws 3 sucked hard, and 4 wasn't as bad as 3, but still sucked nonetheless. Even Sir Michael Caine couldn't save it from the crapper.
LOL really? Jaws 4 was SO MUCH WORSE than Jaws 3.

~Matt
Old 01-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #21
KillerCannabis
Slow, Deep & Hard

I have a friend that works for NBC and he told me to expect Jaws on BD this year.
KillerCannabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #22
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis View Post
I have a friend that works for NBC and he told me to expect Jaws on BD this year.

~Matt
Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #23
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I'd like to see all 4 Jaws films on BD - that would encourage me to buy a machine. I enjoyed all of 'em.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #24
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis View Post
yesss i sure hope so i also heard fight club may coming out in 09 as well
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #25
DTSGUY

As with any Spiellberg film, regardless of who owns the rights, he has full contractual control to oversee any color correction to original film elements (i.e: original neg, original interpositive), film to digital transfer and and remastering of sound. In a way, the ball is in his court as much as it is in Universal as to when these necessary procedures will be perfomred in mastering the film to blu-ray
Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #26
DTSGUY

I hope they use the original artwork on the blu-ray case. That cartoony shit on the dvd's is crappy looking
Old 10-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #27
Mr. Slausen

I've been anxiously awaiting the release of Jaws to Bluray myself. What I hate is when there's finally a special edition DVD that is loaded with extras and then the Bluray version comes out and it's the old DVD version with no extras. This isn't always the case, but it's why I don't own Commando on Bluray.

So, I hope that the Jaws Bluray release will include all the special features from the 30th anniversary DVD.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #28
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Jaws and Jaws 2 would look outstanding on Blu-ray. Jaws 3 and Jaws 4: The Revenge are turds so I won't be buying them.
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #29
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's me, Billy View Post
Jaws and Jaws 2 would look outstanding on Blu-ray. Jaws 3 and Jaws 4: The Revenge are turds so I won't be buying them.
unless they would only jaws 1 and 2 in a box set with all four film

but yeah i am amazed a box set never came out all other universal owned franchises have box sets/franchise collections dvds
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #30
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
unless they would only jaws 1 and 2 in a box set with all four film

but yeah i am amazed a box set never came out all other universal owned franchises have box sets/franchise collections dvds
Okay, then I would buy them, but parts 3 and 4 would

a. be resold to Hastings
b. be thrown in the garbage
c. be smashed with sledgehammer
d. be given away to an enemy as "a gift."

MMMMWWWWHHHHAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAA!
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote