Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #31
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

I still want to see 3 in 3-D again.
The movie didn't hold up, at all. I recently watched the existing dvd from the library. It was fucking hilarious, I literally laughed until I cried and almost shit myself at the big effect shot of the shark slamming through the glass. Holy fuck, I'm crying now thinking about how cheesy that was!
Don't see any reason to re-visit 4 ever though. It's just bad without being bad enough to be worthwhile, like 3 is.

On a side note, fuck the cable and sat. HD channels that crop 2.35 films to 1.78. So annoying and just as bad as 4X3 pan and scan IMO. It seems like Showtime has the most HD films in OAR, HBO and Starz crop everything to 1.78.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #32
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
I

On a side note, fuck the cable and sat. HD channels that crop 2.35 films to 1.78. So annoying and just as bad as 4X3 pan and scan IMO. It seems like Showtime has the most HD films in OAR, HBO and Starz crop everything to 1.78.
Yeah I don't understand why channels are doing this. Spider-Man 3 was on TV the other night, and it was 1.78 instead of 2.35.

But one of the stupidest channels is AMC. They always show 1.85 films in 1.33, and 2.35 films in 1.78. I mean...wtf? Red Dawn is shown full frame (instead of 1.85) and when they show Pearl Harbor, it's 1.78 instead of 2.35. WTF is going on?

Halloween, however is still always shown at 1.33. What a disaster. Such a shitty movie channel, I can't believe it sometimes.

~Matt
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #33
Katatonia
Master of Doom

1.78 is simply the new "fullscreen" of broadcast TV, especially for 2.35:1 films. The Star Wars films often shown on Spike are always presented 1.78:1, even though all the films have roughly 2.35:1 OARs.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #34
dickieduvet
Maniac

Can see this being released next summer for the 35th anniversary with The Shark Is Still Working as the 2nd disc.
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #35
Vlachio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmjd View Post
Universal is too busy putting out classics like Street Fighter on blu.
OMG!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #36
Couchpotatopie

Yeah it's probably all true. I'm a big fan of the B'ray disc. It wouldn't surprise me if the 'ray transfer on Jaws gets all F'ed-up. Lousy sound, like 5.1 MA as opposed to 7.1, or even something like old school non-lossless Dolby because some director or studio guy wants it to remain true to some original dream. I say screw all of that and hand the entire project over to movie lovers. Remaster evry stinkin' frame, clean-up everything, digitize any and all needed effects and put a killer sound system to it. And offer it in it's
Old 05-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #37
Couchpotatopie

: - ) Yep, I don't doubt any of whats been mentioned here. Because so many people have a connection with this movie this is what will likely happen. It won't be some screamingly awesome version of the movie when it comes out on B'ray. Why, because to many of the people who can be legally, morally, or financially involved with it will be. It will this F'ed-up mess with a crappy soundtrack like some old school Dolby set-up. 'Cause that's the way it was in the theaters or on VHS, or worse yet DVD's. How many times does the consumer have to pay for the same old junk? Forget that, give the project to some indifferent movie lovers, then you'll see some killer visuals. Those guys would go through every frame and remaster the whole deal, clean it all up, re-color it if needed, digitize any screwy effects, like put a blast wave around the shark/boat when Brodie shoots that tank with that '06, or whatever rifle it was. Yeah we all saw Shark Week and we know that it wouldn't blow up like that so F'-it, change everything that modernizes the movie, pit more crap floatin' around the boat(s), more s**t inside the Tiger shark's stomach, like 'goo all ozin' out, where you can almost smell the stench of that nasty thing. More teeth in the hull of Ben's boat, cooler lookin' air bubbles, whatever it takes to bring in a new audience. Maybe show a shot of that girl who got eaten in that opening sequence, with crabs crawlin' all over her remains, do it up right. The way it should or may have been done if it were a 2009, or 2010 box office "R" release. Get J. J. Abrams to do it, then it will be right. Put 7.1 DTS MA to it, get the guys who did Batman The Dark Night to oversee it, that movie has a great soundtrack. For cryin' out loud fix that F'ed-up 2.3 or 2.4 screen ratio so those black bars are gone. I payed some descent money for my SONY XBR 5 52" and I want the whole veiwing area filled with giant human/shark interactions, I don't care how, make it 1.85. I love B'rays, and movies, I'm sick of these crappy releases on an otherwise great format. Also include some bonus material with it, like an original version with whatever screen ratio it was filmed in, probably 2.45, maybe 3-D. A Dolby lossless sound set-up, a two channel or 2.1 and mono if someone's interested. Put all that behind the sceens making of commentary, you could probably fit everything on one disc, not sure, I aint an expert. Screw it put it on two or three, and keep those DVD's out of there. Make a Jaws game, maybe some online stuff, BD live or whatever. Box the whole thing up and I'll pay maybe $39.00 for all of it. I havent seen that movie in years, haven't seen it on DVD, I saw it in the theater in early '76, scared the beejeebers out of me, couldn't sleep for 2 1/2 days.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #38
fceurich39
HackMaster

looks like jaws is finally coming to blu-ray it is currently being worked on now go here
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/24834
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #39
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
"There’s going to be no more digital enhancements or digital additions to anything based on any film I direct," said Spielberg. "I’m not going to do any corrections digitally to even wires that show... At this point right now I think letting movies exist in the era, with all the flaws and all of the flourishes, is a wonderful way to mark time and mark history."
I think I'm pretty a pretty hard liner when it comes to restorations and preserving the original films but in general I'm not opposed to removing wires or fixing a few matte lines, etc. Removing shotguns in E.T. and replacing them with walkies BAD, taking out the reflection on the protective glass in Raiders of the Lost Ark GOOD.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #40
Nailwraps
HackMaster

I've assume Jaws was going to stay the same way for the Blu release.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #41
Erick H.
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's me, Billy View Post
Jaws and Jaws 2 would look outstanding on Blu-ray.
I saw JAWS 2 theatrically two weeks ago at the Carolina theater in Durham,the last 35mm print the studio has.Actually it was the answer print.Looked great.Had a nice turnout.It was doubled with the last 35mm print of THE LEGACY.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #42
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
I think I'm pretty a pretty hard liner when it comes to restorations and preserving the original films but in general I'm not opposed to removing wires or fixing a few matte lines, etc. Removing shotguns in E.T. and replacing them with walkies BAD, taking out the reflection on the protective glass in Raiders of the Lost Ark GOOD.
Yeah, minor tweaks most won't even notice are usually all good. Greedo shooting first? - BAD!

I'm happy and relieved to hear no clean-up though. I want the film that scared the shit out me as a kid, not a "beefed up and updated" version. I would watch an update, but wouldn't buy an updated only release. Like I bought the Alien set because it had options for which version to watch. If I don't like the update, I can always go classic. I won't buy Star Wars set as it doesn't have the classic option I want.

I love Scarface as much as most gangsta rappers, but stayed away from the Platinum edition with "bigger gun sounds" also. Hope the BD for that has all audio options, and seriously hope that it does include the TV edit audio. Scarface on network is it's own breed of comedy!

My Fucking DVDS

Last edited by bigdaddyhorse; 06-04-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #43
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
I love Scarface as much as most gangsta rappers, but stayed away from the Platinum edition with "bigger gun sounds" also.
i've never heard of that. was it actually advertised as a perk? as in "new and improved, now with bigger gun sounds!"
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #44
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i've never heard of that. was it actually advertised as a perk? as in "new and improved, now with bigger gun sounds!"
Yeap, I recall the first versions had stickers on front mentioning it. Can't find a scan of the sticker, but just look at the back cover. The synonpsis mentions NOTHING but new audio.

Althoguh, this review makes it sound like not a bad thing. I never noticed the Anniversary Edition sounding weak, it sounded like the movie I've seen dozens of times! Hum, I can't find a review that says the beefed up audio is a bad thing, all say it's great. I'm sure I'll find out on the Blu-Ray, even if it has the original track I'll try the new now, but no way I was going to buy that fucking disc so soon after my Anniversary Edition boxset! The timing of it all was the worst, as it felt like a bad attempt at forcing a double-dip so soon. Don't forget, the old dvd had been OOP for a few years when the Ann. Ed. came out, so me and teh rappers were lined up waiting for it.

Ann Ed. released 9/30/03, Platinum 10/03/06. It felt much closer than that somehow.

My Fucking DVDS
Old 06-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #45
Matt89
HackMaster

I actually have a lot of faith in this upcoming Jaws blu ray. However, if anybody noticed, many of the sound effects were changed on the 5.1 track on the DVD editions (gunshots, the explosion at the end, etc - all changed). Let's hope we at least get a lossless mono track with the original audio.

But that edition of Scarface, was the "new" audio the only audio option? I remember on the original anniversary edition there was a special feature stating how The film had a major influence on rap/gangster culture that I always found rather odd. It's such an 80s movie with its synth score and 80s pop music.

~Matt