Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #46
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Yeap, I recall the first versions had stickers on front mentioning it. Can't find a scan of the sticker, but just look at the back cover. The synonpsis mentions NOTHING but new audio.
holy shit, that sounds ridiculously awful! "now with a new and improved ending! Tony lives!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Ann Ed. released 9/30/03, Platinum 10/03/06. It felt much closer than that somehow.
yeah, i remember seeing the platinum edition when it was released, and being surprised at how quickly it seemed to follow the anniversary edition. being fairly content with the anniversary edition, i never even bothered to read the back of the platinum edition, hence my ignorance of these "enhanced" sound effects.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #47
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
The film had a major influence on rap/gangster culture that I always found rather odd. It's such an 80s movie with its synth score and 80s pop music.
That and Tony Montana seems to be the opposite of someone you want to idolize.
Spoiler:
Bad decision after bad decision until you finally end up face first in a pool of your own blood.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #48
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
I actually have a lot of faith in this upcoming Jaws blu ray. However, if anybody noticed, many of the sound effects were changed on the 5.1 track on the DVD editions (gunshots, the explosion at the end, etc - all changed). Let's hope we at least get a lossless mono track with the original audio.
Amen Matt. The Foley work for the DVD releases is truly shameful. For those who aren't familiar with the magnitude of the changes, check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q81Ublj9k_A

The differences are so dramatic that I had to pull out my DVD to ensure that the youtube video was legitimate. It is.

It seems hard to believe that the original audio stems wouldn't exist. And if they did, they could surely use them to create a new 5.1 track that was faithful to the original track. But I'm all for the inclusion of a lossless mono track as well. It's sad that it isn't standard practice.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #49
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Amen Matt. The Foley work for the DVD releases is truly shameful. For those who aren't familiar with the magnitude of the changes, check out this link:

that is fucked up.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #50
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post

The differences are so dramatic that I had to pull out my DVD to ensure that the youtube video was legitimate. It is.

It seems hard to believe that the original audio stems wouldn't exist. And if they did, they could surely use them to create a new 5.1 track that was faithful to the original track. But I'm all for the inclusion of a lossless mono track as well. It's sad that it isn't standard practice.
Yeah, Blu-ray has really made me appreciate the original audio. I always get upset when I pop in an older film that was made before digital surround sound and all it has are 5.1 tracks. If Blu-ray is supposed to replicate the original theatrical presentation of a film, you can't do that with artificially created digital surround tracks (or DNR and EE, for that matter).

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #51
fceurich39
HackMaster

still no word if the sequels are still headed to blu-ray aug 14th havent heard no info
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #52
Matt89
HackMaster

Well apparently we're getting a digibook here in Canada. Exclusive to Future Shop it seems...

And if you buy any Universal 100th Anniversary DVD or Blu-ray, you automatically get $10 off your purchase of Jaws, making it $24.99. Pretty fucking sweet I must say. Was disappointed that Jaws wasn't getting one (much like The Deer Hunter not getting one)...

~Matt
Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #53
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Best Buy here had a tag for Jaws bd on sale for $19.99 and an exclusive (steelbook I'm almost positive) for $24.99. These were on a side rack last week, and the small print on tags said the sale was from 6/30 - 7/07.

The tags are gone this week, yet the 2 empty spots remain on the side rack which has all Universal 100th bd's. I never bothered to ask for one and doubt they ever floored, esp. since they probably won't even get them for a month or so. It did make me go look up the release date though when I first saw em last Sunday.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:46 AM   #54
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Well apparently we're getting a digibook here in Canada. Exclusive to Future Shop it seems...

And if you buy any Universal 100th Anniversary DVD or Blu-ray, you automatically get $10 off your purchase of Jaws, making it $24.99. Pretty fucking sweet I must say. Was disappointed that Jaws wasn't getting one (much like The Deer Hunter not getting one)...

~Matt
Was this a limited promo? Don't see anything about it online.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #55
dave13
HackMaster

i would have liked the digibook, but i'm too lazy to cancel my preorder. i'll just see what shows up
Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #56
othervoice1
HackMaster

Best buy does have an "exclusive" edition that looks like a digibook when bringing it up in a search- but the pics disappears when you select it

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...egories&ks=960
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #57
ronnie21
HackMaster

no reviews yet. suprised. we should at least have 2 by now..
ronnie21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #58
ronnie21
HackMaster

no. no. watch. we will get a review of the new blu-ray and it will be just a review of the movie itself. i hate that.. why do reviewers do that.. of blus and dvds...
ronnie21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #59
fceurich39
HackMaster

here's a review for the new blu-ray
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jaws-Blu-ray/7547/#Review
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #60
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
Do these guys do ANY research before posting reviews of landmark films? Universal's previous 5.1 remixes of Jaws are notorious for their haphazard and incompetent replacement of the original mono Foley effects. You would think the reviewer would at least address that issue and confirm whether or not the new mix is faithful to the original mono track. Both tracks are on the damn Blu-ray disc.

It would be nice to put this recurring nightmare to rest.

Maybe that community should allot the time it currently devotes to Stalin-like policing of their forums (free Buck135!) to help their reviewers demonstrate some semblance of competency.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote