Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 01-27-2009, 03:07 AM   #16
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorphilly View Post
Is the only way to see this movie are to buy the Vipco or VHS? I would really like to see this but dont want to drop a order to amazon.uk or spend 30 bucks on ebay for this.

Thank you
sean
That is the only way to see the film, unless someone has created a torrent of it.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
foller
Stalker

I was checking out amazon.com the other day and came across the UK DVD of "The Slayer" (1982). There was just one offer for the price of 537 $

For those of you who are looking for the DVD: The UK DVD is not the only option. The movie can also be found on the German Red Edition DVD of "Shock' em Dead" as an extra. The language is English. The quality should be as mediocre as the UK DVD. Just check out amazon.de marketplace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shock em dead.jpg (14.6 KB, 16 views)
foller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #18
Cantona07
Stalker

Some people go on about the twist shock ending, what twist shock ending? You just see a flashback to when female lead was a little girl dreaming about the cat she talked about when she was and adult. Thats it.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
Eddyw78
Stalker

I love this movie too. Wonderful atmosphere. The island setting is great and extremely bleak and the kills are good. Shame the Vipco DVD is of poor quality but I find it looks better composition wise if you matte it off on a 16x9 TV. Could do with someone like Arrow getting hold of this.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
I love this movie too. Wonderful atmosphere. The island setting is great and extremely bleak and the kills are good. Shame the Vipco DVD is of poor quality but I find it looks better composition wise if you matte it off on a 16x9 TV. Could do with someone like Arrow getting hold of this.

All they would do is DNR the shit out of it and call it remastered.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
All they would do is DNR the shit out of it and call it remastered.
The last few 80s movies of theirs i have bought have been pretty DNR free. The Funhouse and The Deadly Blessing plus anything is better than Vipco!!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
The last few 80s movies of theirs i have bought have been pretty DNR free. The Funhouse and The Deadly Blessing plus anything is better than Vipco!!
Yeah I never understood the mentality of companies ripping VHS to DVD. Kind of defeats the purpose and turns digital formats into a gimmicky joke.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #23
booper71
HackMaster

Despite being involved in the Stepfather and Prom Night reboots, Cardone still has directed some of my favorites. The ending to me proved to be the playout of the little girls traumatic nightmares in which she had premonitions of death . I think the awesome creature was kept brief because it was only a representation in her mind.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #24
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Yeah I never understood the mentality of companies ripping VHS to DVD. Kind of defeats the purpose and turns digital formats into a gimmicky joke.
In the UK Vipco were by far the worst offenders. As already mentioned The Slayer looked aweful but then there was their release of The Boogeyman, The Burning, Pranks and the least said about their pathetic release of The Toolbox Murders the better!! Alot of them were also cut to shreads with titles like Cannibal Ferox/Holocaust and House on the Edge Of The Park missing minutes of footage. At that time these were full price releases too as it was only later when Vipco brought out their Screamtime range that you could pick up for around five quid. That said though they did introduce me to alot of movies I couldnt see anywhere else even if as soon as I started importing movies off the net these were left redundant.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #25
Eddyw78
Stalker

Just had a look on Youtube for The Slayer and there is what is called a remastered version on there. It does look very clear and much better than the Vipco DVD. The only problem is that it is squeezed to make it look widescreen when it isnt so the image is squashed. Shame as its the best i have seen the film. Im watching this on a smart phone so on the full desktop version can you change the aspect ratio?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

This was one of those "nasties" that I wanted to see for ages, partially due to Justin Kerswell's mostly positive review on his Hysteria Lives site. I was pretty disappointed though.

A decent location with some great kills (though they're few and far between). A laughable twist ending and while I do love a horror film that tries to keep the killer in the shadows for most of it (Jaws, Nightmare on Elm Street pt 1, etc), the killer makes a less than spectacular appearance during the last 2 minutes of the film for a total of 3 seconds of screen time lol.

I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Just had a look on Youtube for The Slayer and there is what is called a remastered version on there. It does look very clear and much better than the Vipco DVD. The only problem is that it is squeezed to make it look widescreen when it isnt so the image is squashed. Shame as its the best i have seen the film. Im watching this on a smart phone so on the full desktop version can you change the aspect ratio?
The video file is 1.25 GB and after grabbing the movie off youtube it's a disaster. All they did was run digital filtering through the movie. The image is very pixelized and extremely blocky ugly even the lip syncing is off. I used keepvid to grab the movie and it's awful looking. The reason it looks so good on youtube is cause it condensed into a tiny viewing box. Anyway the image sucks lots of ghosting effects when people or objects move. Best option is just to rip the movie from the original VHS masters that were released in the 80's. As far this movie ever getting an official DVD release I doubt it will ever happen. Anyone know who owns the right to this film???
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

If I'm not mistaken, Lucky 13 was supposed to release a US DVD of this in the early 2000s, back when they released Slaughterhouse, Evil Laugh, etc.

Never ended up happening though.

I have to agree with rhett and Kat though. The gore scenes are fantastic, but unfortunately there's only 3 or 4 scenes of that. The rest is kind of a bore.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #29
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Lucky 13 was supposed to release a US DVD of this in the early 2000s, back when they released Slaughterhouse, Evil Laugh, etc.

Never ended up happening though.

I have to agree with rhett and Kat though. The gore scenes are fantastic, but unfortunately there's only 3 or 4 scenes of that. The rest is kind of a bore.
The fantastic dark and stormy atmosphere keeps it from being boring IMO. The movie is creepy and the unseen killer in the shadows was great. Unlike today's (no talent daddies money paid my film school) digital dork filmmakers this was actually shot on 32mm film.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #30
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Yeah, shooting on film is expensive, so if you were going to make a movie back then, you had to take it seriously. Which is why '80s films in general are so far above and beyond what's being made today.

Now someone can buy a cheap digital camera, shoot something in their backyard with a group of friends, and get it distributed. Which is great for them, but bad for those who end up watching it. The horror market is currently way over-saturated with this stuff. There's a difference between "indie" and "home movie".
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote