Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Asian Horror and Other Pleasures

Old 01-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
thrashard76

Anime: Berserk, Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D

A couple questions:

Are Berserk and Hellsing decent animes and how many DVDs fit into their respective boxes?
Are all of these animes uncut?
Which Vampire Hunter D is the best the original or Bloodlust?
What are more animes in the vein of these listed?

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:11 PM   #2
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I am not a huge anime fan, but I love both Vampire Hunter D films. I always loved the original, and I bought the sequel blindly, just because of what it was, and I wasn't sorry!! I got copies of Hellsing from a friend and also loved that series. There are 13 episodes in all, and I think Pioneer is releasing them at 3 episodes per dvd ($30 retail). Paff"s going to be pissed at me, but that is a total ripoff!! www.yumyumanime.com has the whole series on 2 HK dvds for $35. It is an awesome series, but $120+ is out of line for 4 hours of programming.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:19 PM   #3
Erg0n
My Baby Picture

thatnks for the site, i was looking to buying some dvds of anime, but couldn't find any good sites.
Deuteronomy 32:42-43
If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.
I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.
Erg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
DefJeff
Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Vapire Hunter D not only blows away Bloodlust but it is one of the best animes EVER!

i hated Bloodlust but i am a huge fan of the original. i feel its better then Bloodlust in every possible way. debatable is the animation, but i prefer the old skool style.

im not a huge anime fan myself, but there is some i love and will reccomend to you.

Fist of the North Star (can be bought from that yumyumanime site)
Akira
Project Ako (any/all of them)

pick those up and you should be all set!

My Growing DVD Collection
DefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:19 PM   #5
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally posted by DefJeff
Vapire Hunter D not only blows away Bloodlust but it is one of the best animes EVER!

i feel its better then Bloodlust in every possible way. debatable is the animation, but i prefer the old skool style.
Though, I did like the sequel, I agree with Jeff all the way. I'm Old School too. Not many of the new ones get me excited, though I did enjoy Hellsing.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:57 PM   #6
Paff

Yeah, Hellsing is cool. I haven't seen Berserk yet.

I only have the first two Hellsing discs. Total cost so far, $24. It pays to shop around. And you're right Shannafey, I get pissed when people recommend bootlegs. Too expensive? Too bad. Find another hobby.

Plus, you don't HAVE to pay those prices if you're willing to shop around, and be a little patient. Example, this week The Right Stuf is selling the entire Boogiepop Phantom (another weird horror series) for $40. That's $40 for FOUR discs.

The legitimate releases often have better picture, better subtitles, extras, etc.

As for the Vampire Hunter D films, yeah, ya wanna have both. First one has a much better story, but the animation in the second one kicks ass. So get 'em both.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:16 PM   #7
2D4EVER

Berserk is fucking awesome (bloody violence every other scene). It's 6 discs. They're up to disc 4 and 5 should hopefully be coming out sometime soon. Berserk also has my favorite box for any series ever.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:40 PM   #8
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Paff
I only have the first two Hellsing discs. Total cost so far, $24. It pays to shop around. And you're right Shannafey, I get pissed when people recommend bootlegs. Too expensive? Too bad. Find another hobby.
Paff,
I don't know that these are boots. They come beautifully packaged. I mean, are all dvds from Hong Kong, boots? Everytime I pick one up, someone tells me it's a bootleg, but most of them have beautiful packaging, and you can't even tell the difference. Anyway, I am not for bootlegs, but I have said it before, anime is way out of line. If it were priced reasonably, then there'd be more people willing to take a chance on it. I shop around a lot when it's something I want, but I have never found a good buy on anime, except at yumyum.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:04 PM   #9
Reverenddave
Maniac

Not only are the discs at YumYumAnime.com bootlegs, but they are way overpriced. For example, that 2-DVD Hellsing set is available at Animeniacs.com for $27 shipped compared to YumYum's $39 shipped. You can even get it for $31 shipped at DiscountAnimeDVD.com which is also considered an expensive bootleg store.

I really don't want to discuss bootlegs here, because I'm not too sure what forum policy is on this kind of stuff. But if you're looking for more information on Anime bootlegs (reviews, forums, etc...) check out:

http://www.import-anime.com/
Old 01-29-2003, 12:04 AM   #10
jeffschmidt

Berserk is frickin' dope! It's actually a pretty old series & has just recently been released on DVD here in the US (I think). Have you watched the outtakes on the DVDs? Those are awesome! It's really one of the first worthwile "extras" I've seen on an anime disc. Also, a couple years ago a really cool Berserk game was released for the Sega Dreamcast, so look for that, too.

I agree that anime prices are out of line. Yeah, you can shop around & find deals, but I'm curious why the MSRPs on this stuff are so high in the first place? I know that I, for one, would buy tons of anime DVDs if they were about 35%-40% cheaper.

I think maybe it's a loop, of sorts. Anime prices are higher because it's a niche market, but maybe it's a niche market partly because of the high prices!
Old 01-29-2003, 01:51 AM   #11
onebyone

I like Bloodlust, but Vampire Hunter D kicks its ass up and down the street and then right back up again. Just be sure you really look around before you get some of the more esoteric anime dvds; they are out there at a reasonable price, you just have to investigate.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:58 AM   #12
Paff

Quote:
Originally posted by onebyone
Just be sure you really look around before you get some of the more esoteric anime dvds; they are out there at a reasonable price, you just have to investigate.
Exactly!

In fact, sometimes, if you're willing to buy a series out of order, you can save a lot of money, as long as you don't mind waiting to buy all the discs.

As for Hong Kong discs being boots, well, they're not if they're Region 3. I have a Hong Kong Spirited Away, but it's region 3 only. If it's Region 0, you can pretty much count on it being a boot.

I've seen some Anime bootlegs, and they vary in quality. My Cowboy Bebop-Knockin on Heaven's Door isn't bad, but my Nadesico the Movie is literally unwatchable. The subs are absolute nonsense. I guarantee BOTH will be replaced by legit versions as soon as possible.

I once saw a bootleg of the entire series of His and Her Circumstances. That is one series you HAVE to watch the legit versions. There is so much dialogue and text, you need the high quality subtitles, and there's no way the boots would have 'em.

Yeah, Anime is too expensive, no argument there. But if you can be patient, it's no more expensive than regular DVDs, except you sometimes have to buy 4 discs or more to complete a series.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 01-29-2003, 04:44 AM   #13
jeffschmidt

Quote:
Originally posted by onebyone
I like Bloodlust, but Vampire Hunter D kicks its ass up and down the street and then right back up again.
Indeed! Bloodlust is visually marvelous, but just isn't as good of a movie as the older one.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:15 PM   #14
Paff

The Right Stuf (http://www.therightstuf.com) is having a "Frozen Hearts" special, which means 33% off all Pioneer titles. Hellsing is a Pioneer title. And if you do the "Got Anime" membership ($12/year), it's an additional 10% off. That means you're getting Hellsing discs at under $20 a pop.

Cheap, LICENCED anime is not hard to find, if you look around a bit.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 01-31-2003, 05:15 AM   #15
KillerCannabis
Slow, Deep & Hard

I'm not a big fan of anime, but I've got both Vampire Hunter D flicks and I love em both. I'm a bigger fan of Bloodlust, but only because the animation is light years ahead of the original.
KillerCannabis is offline   Reply With Quote