Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
fceurich39
HackMaster

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D might be coming from Twisted Pictures

Twisted Pictures is becoming the house of multiple sharp objects as the makers of the Saw series are closing a deal to take over the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise, putting the villains Leatherface and Jigsaw under one roof. The details are slim, but Leatherface could be returning in 3D. More soon. Read on for the rest of the story and tell us what you think below.

Sources said the producer/financier is in talks to partner in the films with Lionsgate, which has distributed all the pics in the highly profitable "Saw" series, including the Oct. 23 release of "Saw VI."

The plan is to contemporize the storyline for a 3D film that would be scripted by Stephen Susco ("The Grudge"). Carl Mazzocone, Mark Burg and Oren Koules will be the producers.

The series had been launched at New Line with a remake and a prequel produced by Platinum Dunes, the genre company run by Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form.

Deals had been made on a per-pic basis with "Chainsaw" rights-holders Bob Kuhn and Kim Henkel, the latter of whom wrote the original 1974 pic with director Tobe Hooper. Talks fell apart with Platinum Dunes. The Twisted Pictures deal is for multiple films, sources said.

The franchise is bloody big business: The 2003 remake cost $9.5 million and grossed $110 million worldwide. The 2006 prequel didn't do as well but still grossed $55 million on a $13 million budget.

The Platinum Dunes team, which just made a first-look deal at Paramount, still is aligned with a pair of iconic psycho murderers: After reintroducing Jason Voorhees in 2009's "Friday the 13th," they are relaunching Freddy Krueger (played by Jackie Earle Haley) in a new "A Nightmare on Elm Street."

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17644
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
spawningblue
Deadite

I am one of the few that enjoyed the remake and prequel so I am down for this. They are getting a little out of hand with 3D as most of them don't translate well to DVD/ Blu, but whatever I guess. I'll enjoy the fad now and take what I can get as they are fun experiences in theaters.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I am one of the few that enjoyed the remake and prequel so I am down for this. They are getting a little out of hand with 3D as most of them don't translate well to DVD/ Blu, but whatever I guess. I'll enjoy the fad now and take what I can get as they are fun experiences in theaters.
Same here. I too enjoyed both the remake and prequel, so I'd be down for TCM3D in the theatre.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
SpaceAce
Maniac

I really liked the remake too. The prequel was good but not quite as good as the remake
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Queen B

Am I the only one who's NOT liking this new 3-D fad? It's cool for theaters, but like spawningblue mentioned, the technology isn't there to effectively recreated it at home. And seeing how most films are in theaters for a couple of weeks tops...
Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

I loved the remake but thought the prequel sucked ass. I hope if they do it they make it abit more fun instead of that boring sunday feel that the originals of this seemed to have. But does anyone else think they're killing 3D, its almost like everythings been done in 3D I'll bet the next simpsons movie will even be in 3D.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

So the next (or current) Hollywood trend is putting movies in 3D. Between remakes and 3D movies, they've really run out of creativity.

Apparently what's old is new again.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
bigwes15
Maniac

I enjoyed the remake, but absolutely LOVED the prequel. Hopefully this one will be at least as good as those, although a "Modern" approach does not bode well for me along these lines.
bigwes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
agentc
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwes15 View Post
I enjoyed the remake, but absolutely LOVED the prequel. Hopefully this one will be at least as good as those, although a "Modern" approach does not bode well for me along these lines.
Totally agree about the prequel being much better than the remake. They really amped everything up for the prequel making the remake seem boring as well as not standing up at all well to multiple viewings.

I'll have a new one please.
agentc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:59 AM   #10
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

I have never in my life seen a movie in 3D. Don't really want to either. Sure there are a few flicks that seemed like they'd be cool in 3D, but there's a lot of times that they make a movie 3D and spend all their efforts on the 3D effects and no time at all on story.

I don't get out to the theaters much anymore so another reason I hate 3D is that it's hard to enjoy a 3D flick on my basic TV. Maybe some day it'll be better, but for now they should hold off on the 3D thing.

Anyway, that being said, I quite enjoyed the TCM remake and the prequel was watchable so I'd be happy to check out another installment...just wish they'd skip the 3D.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #11
make believe
Victim

The 3D fad has actually motivated me to go the theater for a change since I sort of hate going to the movies in general. I also hate how they charge more for a 3D film as well. That said, it really is great mainly for animated films for the most part. Other than that they already desecrated this classic movie enough times so this is completely unnecessary.
make believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #12
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

I'm guessing this will be a new family since Platinum Dunes is home of the Hewitt clan. Continuity be damned! lol If I'm not mistaken, this will be a fifth family introduced into the franchise.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by make believe View Post
I also hate how they charge more for a 3D film as well.
This is quite honestly, the only reason for the recent 3D movie boom. Greed.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #14
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Shocktillyoudrop has an exclusive story with Mark Burg!:

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...s.php?id=12304

"Producer Mark Burg has added a new member to the Twisted Pictures family. Last week, it was announced the house of Saw had acquired the rights to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and a new film was underway. Nothing related to the remake and prequel Platinum Dunes had released in 2003 and 2006, respectively.

"Platinum Dunes had a one off deal, then I guess they got into a disagreement with the rights holders," Burg tells ShockTillYouDrop.com exclusively. " Carl Mazzacone, who works for us, set up a meeting for myself and [original Chainsaw co-writer] Kim Henkel, we flew down and closed the deal in the room."

Writing the latest entry in the Chainsaw saga, which has wildly steered all over the map in regards to characters, is Stephen Susco (The Grudge). "What we're going to do with it is bring it to 2010," says Burg. "Make it current day and come up with a new story that takes some of the basic plot points, if you will, and make it a current day movie. I don't want to make another Chainsaw in the '70s, that doesn't thrill me."

"I haven't seen first draft yet, but we're working on it," he adds. "Stephen's such a smart guy. We're coming up with the idea. It's a 'what if?' It's 35 years later, there's a relative going back. Why is he going back? I don't want to set it in a dusty town. How do we make it more urban but keep that feel. There will be some relatives, some new people. There's still the subtext of 'are they eating these people?' The whole idea of cannibalism, we're bringing it back."

Burg says they're still putting together all of the puzzle pieces, creatively-speaking, and a number of directors have come forward interested in ushering Leatherface into a new era. And in a new dimension, no less. The new Massacre will take place in 3-D."
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #15
Grim
HackMaster

The original series' continuity was all over the place, so it's not going to bother me if this more or less reboots things. The remake was decent and I thought the prequel was fucking awesome so bring it on.