Maniac

never had an issue with DiCaprio, he even got b*ttfucked in one of his films
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
Copyboy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Seriously, though...what's everyone's issue with DiCaprio? I don't get it. He's a great actor.
The first time I ever saw DiCaprio was in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE? and I wondered how the hell did they get this little retarded boy to behave on set and take direction? Then I saw BASKETBALL DIARIES and was shocked to see that this was no little retarded boy at all! Yes, DiCaprio is a very capable actor. It's his films that aren't always up to par with his ability. I remember how upset people were that he wasn't nominated for TITANIC, but he did what he could with what he was given to work with and there really wasn't a lot in that movie. I mean, come on. You're handcuffed to a sinking ship and you're going to do the I-have-to-piss-like-a-racehorse dance while repeating "oh shit" over and over again? Yeah, we'd all do that, I'm sure. I don't think he ever set out to be a teen idol, which seems evident in his more adult film role choices after ROMEO + JULIET and TITANIC. (I actually loved THE BEACH despite its flaws.) Let's just all be happy that Keanu Reeves or Tom Cruise aren't in the cast!
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
geeare

it's not that i think DiCaprio is a bad actor or anything. I just find him hard to look at. It's hard to describe really. He just looks like such a puss and the roles he plays lately are not for pussies. I think he'd be better suited for the lead role in Edward Scissorhands or other pussy roles that Johnny Depp has done over the years, haha. IDK.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Workshed
October!

Great premise, but the trailer, while fun, gives a lot away. I'll see this one in the theater.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
Ghostkeeper

This film looks to be worth the price of admission thanx guys for keeping us updated.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #21
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick H. View Post
I've always felt that DiCaprio's rep was hurt with a lot of guys because TITANIC made him such a heartthrob among teen girls.For a couple of years it was hard to turn on a TV without hearing about ''LEO" (your credibilty usually takes a hit when young girls squeel your name and the press refers to you by a single name).
Yeah I'll admit, I hated Leo when Titanic came out, for those reasons you mentioned. But I was young then and as I have gotten older I have become a huge fan of his work. Just about every movie I have seen him in I liked, including The Beach. He is definitely one of the best actors of our time.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #22
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

/Film is reporting that Paramount has pushed this back all the way to February 2010! The reasons are pretty ridiculous too (check out the link). I was looking forward to this one too, despite the trailer promising an overly cliched, fairly shitty twist ending. At least now, I won't have to choose between this and the Coen Brothers' latest film, as they were both opening the same day originally.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #23
Anaestheus
HackMaster

I'll chime in with the rest on DiCaprio. I was never a huge fan of his. I thought he was very good at overacting, which worked well for films like Titanic and Romeo+Juliet. But as a serious actor, he used to really rub me the wrong way. Until I saw Departed. I didn't care much for the movie itself. But, I have to give him credit there. He simply blew me away. A completely mesmerizing performance there. So, I'm not as harsh with him as I used to be.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #24
Workshed
October!

BUMMER:

Shutter Island Pushed Back to Feb. 2009!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58282

Quote:
Shutter Island Pushed Back to February

August 21, 2009

Deadline Hollywood Daily is reporting that Paramount Pictures has pushed back director Martin Scorsese's Shutter Island from October 2nd to February 19th.

We assume another wide release will move to Oct. 2, as the spot is mostly vacant now. Disney•Pixar is releasing the Toy Story/Toy Story 2 3-D combo then, but we're not sure in how many theaters.

The other two films scheduled for Feb. 19 are From Paris with Love and Takers.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #25
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Just got back from it and I enjoyed it a lot. It had the best direction I've seen in a movie in a long time and the actors were all great. It did take a little too long to get to where it was going (as all the reviews point out), but I thought it was a very solid flick.
fattyjoe37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #26
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Definitely a good film. Makes me want to watch it again soon.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #27
Iron Jaiden
Maniac

Of course being dumb enough to read 4chan near any movie release the end got spoiled for me but it still looks good enough to see in theaters.

Damn you /b/!!! (for so so sooo many reasons)
Old 02-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #28
Mr. Eddy
Stalker

Just saw it last night and thought it was a good film. Probably Dicaprio's best acting in a Scorsese film yet. Definitely worth seeing.
Mr. Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #29
othervoice1
HackMaster

I just think DiCaprio "over acts" too much- I don't hate him in films but I dont find him a major talent either. One movie I always think back to is Gangs of New York. DiCaprio I found distracting, over acting in many scenes - on the other hand Daniel Day-Lewis single handedly makes this movie enjoyable- he was freaking amazing to watch as Bill the Butcher. Daniel "was" Bill the Butcher while DiCaprio seemed to be acting by the #'s on his character. I knew I was watching DiCaprio, it was the same DiCaprio I had seen in previous movies- always the same overreaction to everything, but I forgot I was even watching Daniel Day-Lewis because he portrayed that character so well, same goes for him in There Will Be Blood. This movie wasn't great- but Daniel Day-Lewis sure made it at the very least watchable for his performance alone.

Last edited by othervoice1; 02-21-2010 at 08:04 PM.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #30
russweiss
Maniac

I just saw the film and was disappointed. The end "surprise" was obvious to me from the beginning. Even the trailer kind of gives it away. I really enjoyed DiCaprio and Scorsese's last film The Departed but this one just didn't offer much of anything.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote