Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

The Video Dead on DVD in Oct!?

I don't know if this is a DVD for the band, The Video Dead, or for the film itself but Amazon.com has a listing for the "Video Dead" on DVD due out October 17, 2009.

I have to gloat and ask, is it true!? Can it be this 80s piece of cult trash is finally making its way to the digital format???

Here's the link - http://www.amazon.com/Video-Dead/dp/...8200320&sr=1-7

Anyone? Info?

I was made aware MGM owned the film at one point in time and right now it says the distributor is "Music Video Dist" which is making me think that it is in fact something to do with the band and not the film itself but when I do a search to see if the band has any DVDs planned, nothing comes up. Same with the film though.

So details are obviously sketchy, any info would be greatly appreciated!
chrismac87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

I still think MGM owns the film. I saw their 16x9 Hi-Def print of The Video Dead and it looked amazing.
Either way, a DVD release is long overdue!

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

I just called the company distributing it, MVD, and it IS in fact the 1987 film, THE VIDEO DEAD which will be in WIDESCREEN!

No special features as of yet but it is confirmed, I repeat THE VIDEO DEAD will FINALLY be on DVD this October, in a widescreen transfer!!!

WHOOT!

Here's some actual info on the site; http://mvdb2b.com/search/item.php?SE...CK_NO=64885DVD

I'm not digging that cover art but that's why I have my custom!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
cazzasguy
Victim

This is awesome news. Don't care what the price is - gotta have it!!

The film isn't deserving of Oscars, but I have fond memories and it's great nostalgia. Now what about other minor classics from the '80s being given quality releases - like Ghost Town and The Kindred?

October is certainly going to be an expensive month, but an enjoyable one!
cazzasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
CrazyFatEthel
HackMaster

Sounds cheestastic, a must buy for me!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
FulciLuvver
Screamy Bopper

This is a bootleg guys...completely illegal. MVD is distributing this release, but it is manufactured by Televista, which is Jef Films. They are longtime bootleggers and rip-off artists.

MGM owns this film for home video and this is a completely unlicensed and unsanctioned release.
FulciLuvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Well if that's the case, I hope the widescreen transfer isn't from Monsters HD with logos included!

If it's the same transfer with no logos, I'll be thrilled. A bootleg or not, MGM's not putting this out on DVD anytime soon - at least someone is.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

Already have a *cough, cough* bootleg of Video Dead with a much better cover. It's pretty decent quality, and I don't plan on buying another copy, even if it is widescreen.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
bloodthrill
Stalker

Jef films does offer some seriously shitty output (Pranks,AKA Dorm That Dripped Blood looked awful,sounded like it was recorded in a tin-lined tunnel,and lacked several snippets of juicy gore that even the original VHS had)..Worse yet,their discs are wildly overpriced,and difficult as hell to locate.

That said,the cover art for one of my all-time fave cheese classicks (Video Dead) is surprisingly eye-catching,and due to my love of the film,I will have to make it a blind buy.I doubt we'll get anything in the realm of the Monsters HD transfer,as they usually do a direct VHS port, but we'll just have to see.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Well apparently JEF Films is long out of business, the owner reportedly died in a fire a year ago and Televista just acquired some of their films.

As I said, according to the distributor, the DVD will be in widescreen - NOT full, so hopefully this is an honest to goodness remastered widescreen print. I don't even care about special features, just as long as it's not a port of the Monsters HD print - with logos and all - or a video version cropped into widescreen.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
bloodthrill
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
Well apparently JEF Films is long out of business, the owner reportedly died in a fire a year ago and Televista just acquired some of their films.

As I said, according to the distributor, the DVD will be in widescreen - NOT full, so hopefully this is an honest to goodness remastered widescreen print. I don't even care about special features, just as long as it's not a port of the Monsters HD print - with logos and all - or a video version cropped into widescreen.
Good to hear..(not about the owner's death,but..y'know.) Seeing this in widescreen would be quite a revelation.You don't care about special features? LOL All these years,I've been waiting to hear from Roxanna Augesen(who now works as an attorney under the name Roxanna Manuel,I think) what her motivation was for the "serving zombies dog food under the claim of a recipe that's been in her family for generations" scene.

*Update:Just found this (she looks the same!):
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

And this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXFhab0Ideg

Last edited by bloodthrill; 07-21-2009 at 10:29 PM.
bloodthrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
fceurich39
HackMaster

awesome news
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
captain_brandon

Awesome, and it's on Amazon! I'mm snatch it up once it becomes available
Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #14
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Honestly this is just one of those films I just want on DVD with a nice widescreen transfer. I saw the Monsters HD print and was just blown away, I mean just look at the difference;

Video version on the left, Monsters HD on the right.

Not only does the film look fantastic but it's actually in WIDESCREEN, not cropped from full.

I really hope this is a legit widescreen transfer and not a cropped one. I'll be uber pissed if it isn't.

Last edited by chrismac87; 07-21-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
bloodthrill
Stalker

Quite a difference.Here's hoping..