Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #181
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Yea I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on Bloody Disgusting that the film got sent to the MPAA a few times because they kept getting an NC-17 rating. If this is true then I assume the dvd/blu release will be a lot bloodier.
yep just like TCM the beginning got a 12 minute longer unrated release on dvd
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #182
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Just came back from seeing this.
So the 3D is pretty pointless and they did not make very good use of it. The acting is quite terrible, there are plot holes and gaps in logic that you could drive a truck through.
However, I really enjoyed this one in a 'check your brain at the door' sort of way, very much in the same way I appreciated Piranha 3D and Wrong Turn 4:Bloody Beginnings.
All the trappings of the horror films I grew up with in the eighties are here, including a ludicrous conclusion that many eighties slashers possessed as well.
I would rank the franchise:

1) TCM (1974)
2) TCM II
3) TCM 3D
4) TCM Remake
5) Leatherface TCM III
6) TCM: The Beginning
7) TCM: The Next Generation

Now I'm not saying that this new film is better than the remake, in terms of being a pure, contemporary horror film it certainly is not. However, I did enjoy it more than the remake. I found myself laughing more than anything else, and it was a good time. Well worth the nine bucks.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #183
mclay18
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Yea I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on Bloody Disgusting that the film got sent to the MPAA a few times because they kept getting an NC-17 rating. If this is true then I assume the dvd/blu release will be a lot bloodier.
The MPAA is actually quite inconsistent. They give NC-17s to some movies that don't really deserve it -- The Dreamers is packed with full-frontal nudity and sex, but it's a hard R at best. And it mystifies me that Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 got an R when it should've been NC-17.

I think the real test of the R-rating will be that Evil Dead remake... I pray that it gets little to no cuts in order to achieve that.
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #184
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
The MPAA is actually quite inconsistent. They give NC-17s to some movies that don't really deserve it -- The Dreamers is packed with full-frontal nudity and sex, but it's a hard R at best. And it mystifies me that Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 got an R when it should've been NC-17.

I think the real test of the R-rating will be that Evil Dead remake... I pray that it gets little to no cuts in order to achieve that.
I've wondered if the Evil Dead remake would just get released as NC-17. Apparently they went to arms lengths not to use CGI for their effects, maybe they won't cut anything... Would an NC-17 really affect the films sales if it were released as such or do those types of films not get as widely picked up by theaters?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #185
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

If a film is released NC-17, 95% of this country would not see it in theaters. It's quite a sad state of affairs, but that's how these chains operate. Typically only independent theaters will show NC-17 films and they are slowly dying out (especially thanks to the digital projector move).
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #186
hots4
Stalker

From seeing that red band trailer, i can't imagine evil dead remake will come through the censor unscathed in the US, the most annoying thing for me, is i live in the UK, and we get the same version in our cinemas as your censored release, they never show it to our censor in it's pre-cut form, so texas chainsaw 3D was cut in the US we get the cut version on cinema, even though the UK would pass the film uncut for cinema, we normally have to wait for these to come on DVD to see them in the full glory, i will not go to the cinema to watch a cut film i just will not when i know the uncut version is round the corner, but we get sidelined here and i would imagine in other countries by quite a crappy process.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #187
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I saw it Friday afternoon. I thought the movie was pretty good, but the 3D was not very good. Only 3 or 4 scenes had good 3D, otherwise, not worth the extra $4.00 price after $6.00. I went at 1:40 PM Friday, CT, and there was only 5 or 6 other people in the audience to see it, and the cost was $11.50. When it comes out on Blu-Ray, I think I will stick with the 2D version.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #188
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I'm hoping nothing gets cut out of Evil Dead remake. It actually looks like one of the best remakes of any horror movie EVER. Thank you, Sam, Bruce, and Rob. My first thought when they announced the remake last year, was it wasn't going to be very good. The opposite is true, for me.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #189
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
If a film is released NC-17, 95% of this country would not see it in theaters. It's quite a sad state of affairs, but that's how these chains operate. Typically only independent theaters will show NC-17 films and they are slowly dying out (especially thanks to the digital projector move).
It is sad...and pathetic. We should be able to see NC-17 rated films in mainstream commercial theaters. When William Friedkin's "Killer Joe" was released in theaters last July, I couldn't see it because no theaters anywhere near me played it. Only three! cities in Texas got it: Austin, San Antonio, and Plano of all places. I had to wait for the Blu-ray/DVD release last month to see it. Why is America so pussified when it comes to cinema? How many theaters played Showgirls in 1995?
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #190
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

You would think with all the megaplexes around these days they would carve out a screen or two for these kinds of films but with more and more event movies being released even the megaplexes are booked solid. Not to mention there's a new cartoon out almost every week, a genre which makes tons of money for the studios as well as the theater chains, so those take up even more space.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #191
mclay18
Maniac

Quote:
If Evil Dead gains that coveted R-rating with little to no cuts, it will be a miracle. I think the producers and director were careful when beginning shooting that they would have a hard time with the MPAA on the gore, so they'll probably toe that line. Besides, a lot of the NC-17 movies get the rating due to sexual content more than violence.

Last edited by mclay18; 01-07-2013 at 11:05 PM.
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #192
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's me, Billy View Post
How many theaters played Showgirls in 1995?
Quite a few. It played at the multiplex where I lived at the time. I went to see it opening night due to all the controversy and left half way through the film.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #193
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Quite a few. It played at the multiplex where I lived at the time. I went to see it opening night due to all the controversy and left half way through the film.
Not sure if you left because you did not enjoy it, or if you lived on 42nd St...
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #194
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
There you go. That's pretty unfortunate. It's not like those films are unrated. NC-17 is like an R rating here in Aus, but that's restricted to 18+.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #195
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
Not sure if you left because you did not enjoy it, or if you lived on 42nd St...
Lol no, I just couldn't watch anymore. I was a big fan of "Basic Instinct" (especially Jerry Goldsmith's score), and I expected a little more than "Showgirls" ended up offering.