Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #121
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

How come they always manage to cast people that look suspiciously like they're from 2012 in these "period"-set films? These guys look like they were plucked right from the set of Glee, complete with modern haircuts, mannerisms, etc. You wanna convince people it's 1974 you're gonna have to do better than that.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #122
Luki
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
How come they always manage to cast people that look suspiciously like they're from 2012 in these "period"-set films? These guys look like they were plucked right from the set of Glee, complete with modern haircuts, mannerisms, etc. You wanna convince people it's 1974 you're gonna have to do better than that.
Texas Chainsaw 3D takes place in the present (or 90s if the reshoots fixed the time period of the script).
Luki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #123
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki View Post
Texas Chainsaw 3D takes place in the present (or 90s if the reshoots fixed the time period of the script).
I just read (by clicking on the Dread Central link a couple of pages back) that it takes place right after the '74 original.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #124
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

It starts at the end of the original, but then jumps to present day.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #125
It's me, Billy
Maniac

It looks like they reconstructed the house from the 1974 original. It's not the actual house from the 1974 film because that now serves as a restaurant in Kingsland, TX, but they did a damn good job of doubling it.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D (2013)

The house from The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) in Kingsland

Also, Bill Moseley (Chop Top from 1986's TCM Part 2) is playing Drayton Sawyer this time (replacing the late Jim Siedow from the 1974 original and 1986's part 2) so I guess Moseley will only appear in the 1973-1974 opening footage, because if he were to appear later in the film (when it jumps to 2012-2013) that character would be over 90 years old.
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #126
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Here's a fairly current shot of the road where the Hitchiker (Edwin Neal) gets run over and Sally (Marilyn Burns) rides away in the back of the pickup truck in the 1974 original.

It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #127
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
so anyone else going to see this friday???? I'm very excited about this being a true sequel so far all the new tv spots are getting me more pumped up!
If I can find it in non 3D and it's playing early enough, I'll try to see it on Friday. I have the day off but have somewhere to go in the late afternoon. If I don't see it then, I'll probably end up waiting for the Blu Ray.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #128
zombiehorror
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's me, Billy View Post
.......so I guess Moseley will only appear in the 1973-1974 opening footage, because if he were to appear later in the film (when it jumps to 2012-2013) that character would be over 90 years old.
Even in the original TCM Grandpa was said to be around 120 years old and in TCM2 he'd have been 130+, so if you follow that established lore, it is entirely possible for Moseley to appear even if his character is in his 90's! Hell Leatherface himself would be an old man as well!
zombiehorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #129
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskull View Post
If I can find it in non 3D and it's playing early enough, I'll try to see it on Friday. I have the day off but have somewhere to go in the late afternoon. If I don't see it then, I'll probably end up waiting for the Blu Ray.
Good luck with that. The theater that I work at always carries both 2-D and 3-D on opening weekend, but we're only getting this in 3-D. Lionsgate is going to try and milk as much opening weekend cash out of this thing as they can.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #130
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

It's playing on Thursday night at 10:00PM here. I kind of want to go, but it'll probably be too rowdy. I'm thinking I'll just catch a $5 matinee on Friday instead.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #131
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolpitz View Post
Good luck with that. The theater that I work at always carries both 2-D and 3-D on opening weekend, but we're only getting this in 3-D. Lionsgate is going to try and milk as much opening weekend cash out of this thing as they can.
Oh well. Not a huge deal. I'll just have to wait till blu. I'm not that into going to theaters much any more anyway. I guess I shall just have to have a look at the listings on Friday. Maybe go see Skyfall instead. That seems to be still playing here.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #132
JaceyCarter
Screamy Bopper

Frankly speaking, i haven't seen even a single part of this movie. But will you all tell me is it worth or not?
JaceyCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #133
fceurich39
HackMaster

special chainsaw 3D glasses tonight at 10m/midnite screenings http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/625...-out-tonights-

gonna make the first 3D showing tomorrow afternoon hope my theater still has some it is frigid cold and its a smaller town so they could have some left over
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #134
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

John Dugan (grandpa) is attending one of the 10pm showings in Louisville KY tonight. He must live in this area as I've met him at the Georgetown, Indiana drive-in awhile back and he's attended that place several times throughout the years.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #135
deepred
Maniac

Just got back from the 10:00 show - thought the movie was ok but I went in with my expectations pretty low.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

I do wish that when they showed the flashbacks of the original they showed Jim Siedow as the cook. Instead they intercut a newly shot scene of Bill Moseley as the cook w/ the '74 footage. I would have preferred they showed Jim in the montage and then just use Bill for the new scenes that happen after Sally escapes. I found Bill pretty dry and stiff and was surprised as I was looking forward to his take on the Drayton Sawyer role. I could have believed there was a woman and baby in some room in the Sawyer house during the events of '74 but suddenly there are 5 (!) additional people in the house that we never saw - that was a little bit much.

I think Gunnar Hansen would have been better suited as the Sheriff instead of just some random guy hanging out at the Sawyer house. It also would have fit well with Marilyn's cameo. Both would have switched sides so to speak from their characters in the original to 3D. Marilyn now a part of the family and Gunnar outside of the family.

I think I enjoyed the middle the best when we are reintroduced to Leatherface. That was very well done. The ending felt pretty weak and I could have done without the cheesy "welcome to Texas" and "“Do yer thing, cuz!". The freezer scene was a funny twist though. Haha. And Leatherface's first kill was tense and made me jump. They could have easily made the movie set in the '90s and ditched the iphone in the one scene. Kinda silly and sloppy that the filmmakers didn't notice or care about the timeline as our heroine was born 'in 74 but is in her 20s in '12.

I would have enjoyed the movie better if the opening scene felt a little more realistic and if it ended in a breakneck speed descent through hell like the original. I kept waiting for Alexandra Daddario to snap and go psycho. She sure has the eyes to play crazy - very beautiful but also intense. Poor Leatherface seemed a little lonely without the added fun of his demented family in this entry.

Last edited by deepred; 01-05-2013 at 01:49 AM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote