Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
baggio
HackMaster

Tom Savini & Other FX artists - Discussion

Tom Savini is an obvious legend in the field. But he rarely works anymore (on the FX side)

Do you think Gregory Nicotero has overtaken Tom Savini as the king of gore? Seems like every time someone needs any FX or monster creations, Greg is the go to guy. It's amazing how his work is in a ton of movies, and not just horror. From interviews, he seems like a great guy too. Unlike the stories that have been told about Tom Savini (at horror conventions)

Any up and comers in the field that are getting recognition? Not talking about horror directors, just the guys that handle the FX. Discuss your favorites. What guys you follow just because of their work, etc...

Like what the hell happened to Screaming Mad George?
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Ptflea2
HackMaster

There will always be a place for practical F/X guys/teams, but it would make sense that the little recognition "up and comers" get is due to how popular CGI has become.
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

On my way to Phoenix from JFK, and I had to stop into Bobby Vans for a burger. Who's sitting next to me? Tom Savini! We chatted about 80's horror movies, and he told me his favorite was The Prowler. Very nice guy.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
On my way to Phoenix from JFK, and I had to stop into Bobby Vans for a burger. Who's sitting next to me? Tom Savini! We chatted about 80's horror movies, and he told me his favorite was The Prowler. Very nice guy.
He didn't have you pay for his burger did he? Just kidding. Phoenix? It isn't hot enough in the northeast for you? I've been wondering about the work that KNB does as well. Can you imagine if Tom Savini was offered The Walking Dead and turned it down? Oi vey.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Nice encounter. From what I hear, you met the nice version on Tom. On a side note, why you headed to Phoenix? To escape the heat?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
russweiss
HackMaster

Tom has been making the convention rounds since the 80's. I met him 3-4 times and he was always friendly.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #7
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
Tom has been making the convention rounds since the 80's. I met him 3-4 times and he was always friendly.
I've never experienced the stories that others have, but Tom has sometimes seemed less than pleased to be there (which is understandable). I will say he is very approachable, and I had a good conversation with him once before a convention began. I'm sure he has had to deal with more than his share of moronic fans over the years.

I had a great conversation with David Emge (Flyboy) once. He made an excellent point. He's been answering the same questions for almost 40 years now, and Dawn was his only film success, as well as the only film he's remembered for. He said that Dawn was just a job, same as the conventions. I asked him about the remake as well regarding a cameo. Mr. Emge said he declined because he'd done that already. I spent quite some time talking to him, and he remains to this day the best horror celebrity that I had the pleasure of having a long chat with.

Lisa Wilcox was my favorite, mainly because she hasn't aged a day since The Dream Master. I must have freaked her out because I couldn't stop staring, like I'd never seen a woman before. I always had a crush on her.

Tom hasn't really done much since the 80's, so I'm pretty sure he's been asked the same questions forever as well. I'm sure we all have stories of celebrities that were a bit of a letdown. Tom seems to get the brunt of the criticism.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:58 AM   #8
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
Same with me! I like the guy a lot!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:48 AM   #9
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Nice encounter. From what I hear, you met the nice version on Tom. On a side note, why you headed to Phoenix? To escape the heat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
He didn't have you pay for his burger did he? Just kidding. Phoenix? It isn't hot enough in the northeast for you? I'ight be ve been wondering about the work that KNB does as well. Can you imagine if Tom Savini was offered The Walking Dead and turned it down? Oi vey.
Yeah, gotta say i didn't know what to expect. Most of time celebrities can be douchy, but I felt he was very genuine and down to earth. Might be the way I approached him. Just told him how much of a fan I was of his work, and the reason I love all those 80's horror flicks like F13, Prowler and Burning were because of his effects.

As for Phoenix, I have to be out here for work. Yeah, it's friggin hot, but there is something to be said for "dry heat". I'll take 100 degrees of this over 85 and heavy humidity any day.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #10
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

For someone who does as many cons as Savini, you'd think liked doing them. Unfortunately, it seems as though, with Tom you get a 50/50 chance of him being friendly.
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
Harry Warden
HackMaster

Quote:
Yeah, gotta say i didn't know what to expect. Most of time celebrities can be douchy, but I felt he was very genuine and down to earth. Might be the way I approached him. Just told him how much of a fan I was of his work, and the reason I love all those 80's horror flicks like F13, Prowler and Burning were because of his effects.

As for Phoenix, I have to be out here for work. Yeah, it's friggin hot, but there is something to be said for "dry heat". I'll take 100 degrees of this over 85 and heavy humidity any day.
Well, that certainly wasn't my experience. I met him at a store in Pittsburgh one Friday morning and he was horrible. I did not approach him. I was introduced to him by the owner and he could not have been more rude. I had just purchased the Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead set and the owner, not me, asked him if he would sign it. He did sign it but to be honest, I could give a shit whether he signed it or not. I really didn't want to bother him because he was with some chick he brought with him, but I was actually quite surprised at what an ass he was. Grant you, he was their as a customer and most likely didn't want bothered, but nevertheless, he acted like a real ass that day. I met him again a second time at the same store and he reacted the same way..pissy like he didn't want to be bothered and once again, I ran into him by pure accident. Grant you, I've always liked his special effects, but his personality could sure use some work.
Harry Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #12
hots4
Maniac

Met him at a convention in the UK in a sports hall in Watford, maybe it was the winter UK weather, but he was definitely of that day. Seemed to cheer up when he did his talk on the evening, maybe that was the alcohol them pumped him!!!!!
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #13
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Warden View Post
Well, that certainly wasn't my experience. I met him at a store in Pittsburgh one Friday morning and he was horrible. I did not approach him. I was introduced to him by the owner and he could not have been more rude. I had just purchased the Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead set and the owner, not me, asked him if he would sign it. He did sign it but to be honest, I could give a shit whether he signed it or not. I really didn't want to bother him because he was with some chick he brought with him, but I was actually quite surprised at what an ass he was. Grant you, he was their as a customer and most likely didn't want bothered, but nevertheless, he acted like a real ass that day. I met him again a second time at the same store and he reacted the same way..pissy like he didn't want to be bothered and once again, I ran into him by pure accident. Grant you, I've always liked his special effects, but his personality could sure use some work.
Dang! Glad I got the lighter side. He was with a girl, not sure the relation, but certainly a little younger. She seemed nice too. Maybe he has chilled with age too? Also, he even extended his hand to me for a handshake!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #14
baggio
HackMaster

Going back to my original post. Maybe the reason Tom has reacted this way (sometimes) over the years is ... Gregory Nicotero. The guy basically has taken over the business. There could be some secret resentment towards the whole thing with Savini. Tom is know primarily for a few eighties films, and Greg is, well ... everything else.

Also,

Quote:
Any up and comers in the field that are getting recognition? Not talking about horror directors, just the guys that handle the FX. Discuss your favorites. What guys you follow just because of their work, etc...

Like what the hell happened to Screaming Mad George?
Nobody ever answered or discussed this yet.

Last edited by baggio; 07-21-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:

Nobody ever answered or discussed this yet.
He is interviewed on the new Society blu-ray. It has been a few weeks since I watched that disc, but from what I remember it seemed like he was back in Japan. I'm assuming he was based in LA in the late 80s / early 90s when these films were made.

He does talk about what he's up to now (I think he sells weird art sculptures), and there's a very weird little music video about him on the blu-ray as well.