Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Asian Horror and Other Pleasures

Old 03-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #31
Paff

I'm with Dobby here. I hadn't heard much about the movie, but watched it off of IFC or Sundance like I mentioned, and found it pretty 'meh'. I was surprised to see all the anticipation of the Criterion release here, and thought a lot of you might be disappointed when you actually got around to finally seeing it.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #32
MorallySound
There is no magic.

I can see how those were disappointed by it, seeing as they went in expecting it to be a crazy and bloody horror film.

But if you've ever read up on the film, you know it's a complete nutzoid comedy fantasy through the eyes of a Japanese TV ad wizard.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #33
RidgeShark
Victim

I ended up loving House the second time I saw it. It's not surprising that the director's young daughter came up with the original story. I even suspect she co-directed the thing.

Last edited by RidgeShark; 03-14-2010 at 07:41 PM.
RidgeShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #34
Iron Jaiden
Maniac

Yeah it's playing here in Denver on April 9th and I'm definitely going to see it.
I don't expect horror of any sort though. Just a completely goofy visual trip of a movie. If it's like that I'm gonna be stoked.

Here's a little story about expectations:

When I was young, maybe 10 or 11, Burger King ran a promotion for Return of the Jedi and offered these gigantic white plastic Star Wars themed cups with a purchase their largest size soft drink offerings. As a young boy in the early 80s I was naturally obsessed with Star Wars and begged my mom to get me every one of these cups. She did and I used them exclusively for anything I drank that year.
One night we all sat down to dinner and my mom poured me a nice tall Jabba cup full of milk. I went to take a sip and the moment the liquid touched my tongue I paused for a millisecond and proceeded to vomit all over myself and my dinner plate. My milk was rancid! I screamed out "AHHHHH! MOM THE MILK IS BAD!!!!". Mom, alarmed at the sight of her son covered in his own vomit, ran over to save me from whatever had attacked my insides. By the time she realized what had happened I was already a sobbing hysterical mess. Holding back a smile unsuccessfully my mom said to me, "son.. that's orange juice, not milk".
Somehow my brain, expecting milk, found orange juice to be the most putrid thing It'd ever tasted.

Maybe you guys were expecting milk?
Old 03-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #35
X-human
I ate my keys

Anything associated with Criterion instantly becomes overrated. I figured the topic title itself overstates this too.

I'd forgotten all about it and missed the Chicago showing. But I like my zany Japanese movies, so I'll be checking it out somehow someway.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #36
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Oh for fuck's sake people, I never said this was THE most fucked up horror film ever, I said it was quite possibly the most fucked up film "I" had ever seen. That's fact, and I stand by that.

I never hyped this up to be a crazy ass horror flick that would make you throw your popcorn. In fact, I really don't think there's any unrealistic hype surrounding this film at all. I find all the reviews to be pretty accurate. It's just a film that defies logic. Nothing more.

This is why many decent films get swept under the rug. People's expectations are just way too high. It's not the film's fault. Take it for what it is and get over yourself.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #37
Darga
Narcissistic Personality

I'll check this out in the theater- it's playing here at the Brattle at the end of April. I'll be sure not to go into it expecting scary/gory.
Darga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #38
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
The bathroom was so clean the virgin Mary would be honored to sit down and take a shit.
The Virgin Mary also gave birth in a barn. Somehow I don't think her standards would be all that high in where she takes a dump.

It's coming to Keene sometime soon. I'm not sure when exactly, but I'm looking forward to it.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:39 AM   #39
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
The Virgin Mary also gave birth in a barn. Somehow I don't think her standards would be all that high in where she takes a dump.
Are you comparing the birth of our Lord and Savior to taking a dump? There will be a prime spot laid out for you in hell my friend.

Anyways, Arabs are pretty anal about taking a dump; they spend their lifetime wiping with one hand and eating with the other. I think the Crusades really broke out when the Arabs learned, "You mean you don't just eat with that hand?"

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #40
othervoice1
HackMaster

It is worth giving a chance. This was made in the 70's and I'm sure on a low budget but they took chances, tried to be original and go way over the top. Not meant to be scary at all. I had never heard of this and like I mentioned before, caught this on IFC late at night totally by chance and couldn't stop watching it. It was just a wild ride and I thought a lot of fun.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #41
Wez4555
Happy Trees Motherfucker!

Getting ahold of it as we speak. cant wait!
Wez4555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #42
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I've watched maybe half of this film so far and it really stinks. It's just an unusual piece of crap.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #43
Wez4555
Happy Trees Motherfucker!

so in other words a guy that likes redneck zombies, killing spree, the janitor, and thankskilling would enjoy this?
Wez4555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #44
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez4555 View Post
so in other words a guy that likes redneck zombies, killing spree, the janitor, and thankskilling would enjoy this?
Most likely. I for one don't think it's worth a purchase. Just download it and save your money.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #45
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Most likely. I for one don't think it's worth a purchase. Just download it and save your money.
So do your share to put independent cinema out of business? OK then....

Since it's mostly independent or art house cinemas that are booking the film (myself being one of them), please don't support us...

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote