Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #1666
Dobby
HackMaster

How cum nobody iz askin why does Shout suddenly have a rock hard cock for horror? Sense do any companies give horror films deluxe editions? Not complaining I'm just wondering why this sudden resurgence of horror. Most of these films never draw big cash for these corporations so I'm just puzzled.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #1667
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
not night of the living dead 1968 on blu-ray here in the USA
Unfortunatly no, not here in the U.S. I do however have 10 different NOTLD '68 blu-rays from around the world which is just crazy. None of them are perfect (such as the Elite Millenium DVD). I just ordered the European cut of Dawn on blu-ray from Austria. Again, the AB and Arrow blu-ray's are great, but the Director's Cut hasn't been released on blu-ray (at least not to my knowledge).

Last edited by buck135; 11-17-2012 at 11:49 PM.
buck135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #1668
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
How cum nobody iz askin why does Shout suddenly have a rock hard cock for horror? Sense do any companies give horror films deluxe editions? Not complaining I'm just wondering why this sudden resurgence of horror. Most of these films never draw big cash for these corporations so I'm just puzzled.
Shout! has been putting out horror films since they released The Stepfather for the first time on DVD in 2009. After that they did Audition and Kingdom of the Spiders before starting the Roger Corman Cult Classics line. So although Scream Factory is a new horror specific line for the company, they have had their hand in the horror world for a while and always give great editions.

As far as features I hope to see on the new announcements, I would love if they could carry over the extended deleted scenes and stop motion footage from The Howling laserdisc that weren't carried over onto the SE DVD.
fattyjoe37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #1669
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Cliff MacMillan, the acquisitions guy at Shout Factory, is a huge horror buff. I guess he's got enough pull over there that he's able to get most of his favorite films greenlit for release. The horror stuff must be doing very well for them because they're ramping up production and, as most people know by now, gearing up for all of these cult titles next year. We're very lucky that someone like Cliff is running things over there and going to bat for those of us who love horror films.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #1670
Suicide
Space Bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
the thing is here,. iam so sick of most of these movies, so iam not that excited.
I'm kinda with this guy. I've seen all of these movies they're putting out lately a bunch of times over the years. So these releases are great and all and I hope they crank this Scream Factory line out for years, but I'd rather see previously unreleased stuff coming out. We do get Terrorvision (yay) and Video Dead (great zombies, but, eh) soon at least. I'd rather see more obscure stuff like that personally.

Since no one asked, here's how I feel about the announced titles.

I like The Burning and The Howling, but I don't think I need to see either again for a few years.

Love Day of the Dead, I'll probably get this one

Lifeforce I just saw a few months ago, might pick up in the future sometime but not for $20.

Night of the Comet - this is a movie I should love but I've seen it 2 or 3 times and it just doesn't seem to grab me for some reason.

Atmosphere aside I actually found The Fog pretty boring. Probably an unsafe place to admit this but I'm not really a big Carpenter fan. I mean I adore The Thing and consider it one of my favorites, Assault on Precinct 13 and Christine are pretty solid and Big Trouble in Little China is a goddamn blast, but apart from those four most of his movies don't do much for me. Yes, even Halloween. It's an important film and I respect the hell out of it but I've seen it probably 6 times over the years and it's never really clicked for me. It's good but that it's considered the absolute best horror movie out there by a great deal of people who watch a great deal of horror has always kinda confused me. Not that the first Halloween has anything to do with anything in this thread, sorry, got a bit sidetracked there.

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #1671
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide View Post
Yes, even Halloween. It's an important film and I respect the hell out of it but I've seen it probably 6 times over the years and it's never really clicked for me. It's good but that it's considered the absolute best horror movie out there by a great deal of people who watch a great deal of horror has always kinda confused me.
Thank you. I concur. Not even going into the broad horror genre, but even in slasher films, I don't think that it stands out. I'd pick close to 100 slashers over Halloween. But, seems like for a lot, it's a perfect movie. I don't get it, and I may never get it, but it is what it is.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #1672
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Cliff MacMillan, the acquisitions guy at Shout Factory, is a huge horror buff. I guess he's got enough pull over there that he's able to get most of his favorite films greenlit for release. The horror stuff must be doing very well for them because they're ramping up production and, as most people know by now, gearing up for all of these cult titles next year. We're very lucky that someone like Cliff is running things over there and going to bat for those of us who love horror films.
Too bad he didn't have enough pull to get MS 45 released. The guys calling the shots over at Shout batted that one down (as Cliff mentioned over at blu-ray.com).

As far as the "super six" is concerned--yeah, it's kind of anticlimactic. Most of them were predicted ahead of time (besides Day of the Dead *yawn*), and a few of 'em I'm in no hurry to upgrade. I guess Lifeforce is probably the most exciting announcement, since we'll finally have an anamorphic release. I've been putting off watching The Howling for a while now, as I anticipated an impending blu release. So, I'm down for that when it drops. Night of the Comet, I really like--but I'm not so sure the blu will be much of an upgrade (low budget and cruddy looking as it is).

Oh well. Shout has already announced so many fucking gems for next year, I feel like a jerkoff for saying anything even remotely negative about them. These dudes are truly doing some Herculean shit in the next year or so...
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #1673
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Thank you. I concur. Not even going into the broad horror genre, but even in slasher films, I don't think that it stands out. I'd pick close to 100 slashers over Halloween. But, seems like for a lot, it's a perfect movie. I don't get it, and I may never get it, but it is what it is.
I think no matter how objective you are, there will always be good movies that don't click with you. Halloween still gets under my skin, and I consider it a good movie (I feel that Carpenter "wrote the book" on a particular way of building suspense). I've seen Romero's Dawn of the Dead only once, and I consider it an artistically strong movie, but I couldn't really get into it - something about the way it was structured coupled with Romero's visual style missed me, if not by a mile, then enough to leave me feeling disengaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical marsh View Post
Oh well. Shout has already announced so many fucking gems for next year, I feel like a jerkoff for saying anything even remotely negative about them. These dudes are truly doing some Herculean shit in the next year or so...
Indeed they do! I don't really get the dissatisfaction at all. Do some people actually expect them to release only stuff that isn't already on DVD? There are plenty of those already announced for next year. Sure, there is stuff on that list I would rather have seen replaced by something else, but overall, I think they're smart to have fan favourites as well as unreleased obscurities on their slate for next year.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #1674
SickNick89
Stalker

Different strokes I guess. I am thrilled about Night of the Comet! The director had a ton of stuff he wanted to put on the dvd from a few years back but mgm wasn't interested. Also Lifeforce and The Burning are day 1 purchases. We've never had a good edition of Lifeforce (I still have my laserdisc) and The Burning is a favorite and I can't wait to see what they have in store extras wise for that one! The only title im even a little ehh about is Day of the Dead since I've bought it so many times but even that is like picking the worst of the best as far as this list is concerned. It would have been cool to have a Fright Night 2 or Boggy Creek on this list but reguardless I will be buying all these titles on blu ray.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #1675
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Hey, to anyone looking for new-to-DVD titles, Shout isn't the only company releasing good stuff next year. Check these out:

THE POWER
THE RETURN
THE FARMER (Just teased on Facebook)
HUMAN EXPERIMENTS
THE ELECTRIC CHAIR
THE MAD BOMBER
ZULU
ANGEL'S BRIGADE (Greydon Clark)
THE ALLEY CAT
THE MONSTER CLUB (Scorpion)
TICKS (Olive)
DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS (Olive)

And these are just the known titles. Scorpion just posted on Facebook that they had a lot more titles TBA, plus there's an interview going up soon on AV Maniacs conducted at the HorrorHound convention featuring Cliff, where it is said there will be more unannounced titles to be revealed. If anyone is still disappointed, they'll need to look elsewhere for kicks. Take up reading or needlepoint.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #1676
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Hey, to anyone looking for new-to-DVD titles, Shout isn't the only company releasing good stuff next year. Check these out:

ZULU
You're sure you don't mean Zulu Dawn?
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #1677
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide View Post
I'm kinda with this guy. I've seen all of these movies they're putting out lately a bunch of times over the years. So these releases are great and all and I hope they crank this Scream Factory line out for years, but I'd rather see previously unreleased stuff coming out. We do get Terrorvision (yay) and Video Dead (great zombies, but, eh) soon at least. I'd rather see more obscure stuff like that personally.
All new to DVD (R1):
Death Valley
Evictors, The
Godsend, The (1980)
Horror Show, The (1989)
Hospital Massacre (1981)
Prison (1988)
Schizoid (1980)
TerrorVision (1986)
Town That Dreaded Sundown, The (1977)
Vagrant, The (1992)
Video Dead, The (1987)

I count 11 mostly obscure unreleased titles there. With more to come. One a month for the next year to come. What. More. Do. You. Want? You want them to bury Day of the Dead's negatives on the moon because it's been released so many time?

The problem with wanting the obscure and only the obscure is that they are in fact obscure. Not many people want to buy them and of those that want to buy them even fewer actually do. If it's that obscure even the obscure crowd won't really want them because it's not their personal obscure flick. It becomes impossible to please all that many with an individual obscure announcement. This thread is a perfect example because they've lined up a monthly release schedule of new to DVD obscure horror and people are still bitching.

And what The Fog or The Howling shouldn't have a Blu-ray release until every obscure horror movie under the sun has been released by Scream Factory and only Scream Factory first?

Of that list of obscure new to DVD none are going into my Buy list and a couple are going on my Rent list. Of the "repeat offenders" offered up I'll be gladly double dipping on The Fog, Lifeforce, Night of the Comet, Day of the Dead, Vampire Lovers, Phantasm II and even The Nest. Those will keep Scream Factory afloat, not Scanners II or III.

Overall I think Scream has put together a nice healthy mix of perennials and new.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #1678
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Scream has posted their current release schedule on Facebook and have given From Beyond and Phantasm II a March release date.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #1679
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
You're sure you don't mean Zulu Dawn?
The artwork that was posted on Amazon just had a giant "Zulu" title on the cover - I didn't see Dawn. Maybe it's there and I'm just losing my vision
Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #1680
Suicide
Space Bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
All new to DVD (R1):
Death Valley
Evictors, The
Godsend, The (1980)
Horror Show, The (1989)
Hospital Massacre (1981)
Prison (1988)
Schizoid (1980)
TerrorVision (1986)
Town That Dreaded Sundown, The (1977)
Vagrant, The (1992)
Video Dead, The (1987)

I count 11 mostly obscure unreleased titles there. With more to come. One a month for the next year to come. What. More. Do. You. Want? You want them to bury Day of the Dead's negatives on the moon because it's been released so many time?

The problem with wanting the obscure and only the obscure is that they are in fact obscure. Not many people want to buy them and of those that want to buy them even fewer actually do. If it's that obscure even the obscure crowd won't really want them because it's not their personal obscure flick. It becomes impossible to please all that many with an individual obscure announcement. This thread is a perfect example because they've lined up a monthly release schedule of new to DVD obscure horror and people are still bitching.

And what The Fog or The Howling shouldn't have a Blu-ray release until every obscure horror movie under the sun has been released by Scream Factory and only Scream Factory first?

Of that list of obscure new to DVD none are going into my Buy list and a couple are going on my Rent list. Of the "repeat offenders" offered up I'll be gladly double dipping on The Fog, Lifeforce, Night of the Comet, Day of the Dead, Vampire Lovers, Phantasm II and even The Nest. Those will keep Scream Factory afloat, not Scanners II or III.

Overall I think Scream has put together a nice healthy mix of perennials and new.
I didn't mean to come off like I was bitching. Sure stuff like The Fog or The Howling deserve a blu-ray release before more obscure stuff, and it's great they're releasing them. I was just saying for me personally these are movies I've grown bored with and there aren't a lot of things coming from them that I want to buy. No big deal, I realize other people are happy these are coming, I know I'm in the minority with my bitching.

After looking at your list, I admit I had actually forgotten some of those titles were coming out, so I do feel kinda like an idiot. Apart from Hospital Massacre there aren't a lot I need, but I'd definitely check a couple of them out that I haven't seen yet.

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote