Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #1696
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Interesting interview. Sad that Roger Spottiswoode is embarrassed by Terror Train. It's no masterpiece, but neither is Turner and Hooch. Maybe he just isn't comfortable with doing commentaries.

Also, it doesn't seem like MacMillan has much hope of Warner releasing the Friday films on blu-ray. The story he told about Paramount feeling they had it covered with the hockey mask DVD set says a lot about the companies feelings on the series, and what the fans want.

And it's also interesting to know it was his hard work (and that of the studio) that ended up getting all of those horror favorites released on netflix and the MOD program. That must have been frustrating.

On a side note, the cover for From Beyond makes me think Evil Dead.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #1697
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
REALLY interested in hearing what those Jackie Chan films are.
A double-bill of CRIME STORY and THE PROTECTOR has already been announced:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20

Apparently it will include the HK cut of THE PROTECTOR as a bonus, which deleted footage from the US release and added some Chan-directed fight scenes.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #1698
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical marsh View Post
Cover art for From Beyond. Pretty awful, if you ask me. This dude's art has been getting worse and worse for Shout. Maybe it's time to change things up?
Thatís the first cover art Iíve seen Zornow do for Shout! (I think heís doing The Prison artwork as well) It is still rather disappointing though. The drawn characters barely resemble their film counterparts. Itís a shame too because Zornow usually does some pretty wicked stuff. This one, not so much.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #1699
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

They should just hire The Dude Designs to do all of their artwork. That guy is goddamned amazing.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #1700
WesReviews
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
They should just hire The Dude Designs to do all of their artwork. That guy is goddamned amazing.
I second this, although didn't he do the awful Phantasm 2 cover? Or was that someone else?

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #1701
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I think that was someone else. I forget his nameÖhe does posters that are albeit hand drawn, but look like 2-min Photoshop jobs. Not a fan of anything he does.

Iím usually fond of what The Dude Designs does (Savage Streets, Fatherís Day, Dear God No) but I thought his artwork he did for They Live was hideous.

I still think the commissioned covers for Halloween 2 & 3, Terror Train, Funhouse are still the best thus far.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #1702
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen View Post
Sad that Roger Spottiswoode is embarrassed by Terror Train. It's no masterpiece, but neither is Turner and Hooch.
untrue.

"The muffin, Hooch! The muffin!"

gets me every time
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #1703
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
I still think the commissioned covers for Halloween 2 & 3, Terror Train, Funhouse are still the best thus far.
absolutely. I think Terror Train is the best of them all. the other 3 you mentioned, while all good, are a bit too busy for my taste. i like the simplicity of Terror Train.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #1704
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
I second this, although didn't he do the awful Phantasm 2 cover? Or was that someone else?
No, that was James Rheem Davis and his Phantasn II artwork is just abysmal. Nowhere near the level of being official cover art. They should just stick with The Dude and Nathan Thomas Milliner. Those guys are ridiculously talented.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #1705
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
They should just stick with The Dude and Nathan Thomas Milliner. Those guys are ridiculously talented.
Exactly. All the covers drawn by these guys (H2 & 3, Funhouse, Terror Train, They Live, Deadly Blessing) have been great. Everything else they've commissioned from others has been pretty hideous.

Last edited by fattyjoe37; 11-20-2012 at 02:58 AM.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:36 AM   #1706
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
It's a tad on the naive side to think that Shout/Scream will be giving us every title we want from the MGM MOD list. Based on what Shout said about the Corman line, I would think they would be a great deal more careful with obscure titles going forward. That's why you see low-sell titles like The Video Dead and Terror Vision being paired up. Better chance of a blind-buy if you its a two-fer.
There's several reasons not to buy MOD. The fact that companies like Warner occasionally come back to press one or two and companies like Shout or Olive release one or two more, and overseas, is all the more reason not to.

There's already too many pressed discs I need to buy to worry about blind buying some more DVD-R's. I'm done with MOD.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #1707
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
There's already too many pressed discs I need to buy to worry about blind buying some more DVD-R's. I'm done with MOD.
As me I only have two of those (Pretty Maids All in a Row and Return to Salem's Lot) and, even if I don't consider them the same way, the 'Gator Bait films (if they finally show up) and The Devil's Sisters. So 4 on more than 2000 DVDs, I guess I can easilly say I never cared for that format.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #1708
Vance Vandy
Stalker

Gotta' admit I'm digging that From Beyond art. Too bad I'm not a fan of the movie at all. Already knew I Come in Peace and Rolling Thunder were coming, but cool to know about Exterminator 2. As for MOD, never have bought one of those and never will.
Vance Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #1709
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

LOVE the From Beyond artwork. I hope they release a poster for this one!!!
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #1710
Spacetraveler
Stalker

Since Shout is releasing The Horror Show next year which is also House 3, does that mean there's a possibility of House 4 being released too or is the rights being held by a different company?
Spacetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote