Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #1801
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
wow, that looks so cool...
iam not impressed with phantasm II's artwork. but this is master..
Yea Phantasm II's cover is rubbish. Most uninspired cover they've released for sure. Wish they'd go back and revise that artwork.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 AM   #1802
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I won't argue Phantasm II's art is worse. Still dislike The Burning one as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #1803
Body Boy
HackMaster

Yeah, I don't care for The Burning's new cover either, but I think that's because of Cropsy's face... if that were a moon or something, I might enjoy it.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #1804
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Yeah, I don't care for The Burning's new cover either, but I think that's because of Cropsy's face... if that were a moon or something, I might enjoy it.
That's my main issue with it. The face looks awkward and he's puking a river of blood. It looks ridiculous.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #1805
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

It still beats The Burning's dvd cover.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #1806
startide
Stalker

I must be the only one here who doesn't like the covers on these releases. I appreciate the effort, but as "art" they don't really work. There's too many incohesive elements in them for them to work properly. They come off as more painted collages than anything else. (The ugliest Prom Night poster I own is exactly that - a collage.)

There's a lot to be said for simplicity.

Last edited by startide; 01-12-2013 at 03:12 AM.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #1807
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
I must be the only one here who doesn't like the covers on these releases. I appreciate the effort, but as "art" they don't really work. There's too many incohesive elements in them for them to work properly. They come off as more painted collages than anything else. (The ugliest Prom Night poster I own is exactly that - a collage.)

There's a lot to be said for simplicity.
i agree, although i think you're actually in the majority on that one, most people tend to not like them. and i think you're right about most of them just having too much going on. that said, the burning is one of my favorites so far. its a little busy at the top, but the bottom is fantastic, and the colours are great. i've said this before, but i think the best alternate cover they've done has been terror train. it was simple and elegant.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #1808
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

On second thought, while I like this artwork, some of you here are right. It doesn't work.
For one, Cropsy's facial reveal at the end of the film was a 'shock'. They're sort of spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen the film by slapping his ugly mug right in the center of things. And that river of blood pouring out of his mouth is a bit overly symbolic.

It also doesn't make sense to have him in the picture twice (also rising up from the waters). Alfred's face on the left is just kind of goofy. I've never been a fan of posters where the cast's faces are lined up (Scream is a good example).

Seriously, remove the 3 heads in the center and the waterfall but leave everything else and we'll be in business.

Then again, they could just scrap the whole thing and use the Alamo Drafthouse poster :-)
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #1809
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

If anything the head in the middle is the issue. The river of blood is great. I'd definitely keep that. I agree that the head and having him twice in the image is too much. I like it on my Burning 2 poster though
Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #1810
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

I love this cover. Definitely can sit alongside Halloween II, Lifeforce and They Live as my favorites of the line so far. As with all of the Scream Factory releases I'll be keeping my slipcover with this new artwork, but using the original artwork for the Blu-ray sleeve. Even on the new covers that I like, I always prefer the original. And for those who don't like it, it could've been much worse, it might have been uninspired (Phantasm II) or just a busy mess with some terrible drawings (From Beyond).
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #1811
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlockjock81 View Post
For one, Cropsy's facial reveal at the end of the film was a 'shock'. They're sort of spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen the film by slapping his ugly mug right in the center of things.
I disagree somewhat. First of all, we learn early on that Cropsey is startlingly disfigured, so while the reveal maybe shocking, it's not surprising. Secondly, that art is very much an artistic interpretation - in the movie, one of Cropsey's eyes is white with scar tissue, and his nose is mostly gone. I don't think the poster gives too much away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlockjock81 View Post
I've never been a fan of posters where the cast's faces are lined up (Scream is a good example).
I don't like those either. It's almost as if the plot is secondary to the cast - The Faculty and I Know What You Did Last Summer also spring to mind. But Milliner's artwork is doesn't really qualify... For one thing, he only has one cast member up there with the bogeyman. It could have been amusing if he had spoofed the Scream lineup by having Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens, and Holly Hunter there as well. But I'm glad he didn't.

In the end, while I'm happy with the artwork, what counts for me is the feature itself.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #1812
ronnie21
HackMaster

well, they do give the reverse original artwork, what i do is leave the slipcase on with new artwork, and have the original artwork when the case comes out of slipcover. so you get best of both worlds.
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #1813
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Reviews for Crime Story/The Protect Double Feature Blu-ray:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/58398...the-protector/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jackie...Blu-ray/56991/

Ultraseven The Complete Series review:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/58039...mplete-series/
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #1814
spawningblue
Deadite

Some tidbits from Bluray.com forum.

X-Ray

Cmac, is X-RAY going to be a blu-ray or is that still uncertain to you guys?

pretty doubtful. it just won't sell enough copies to warrant the new transfer.

Town That Dreaded Sundown

The Town that Dreaded Sundown has been shown on television in a nice looking HD print. I can not imagine the Shout Factory would have good high definition elements avaliable to them but just put this out on standard definition. I'm not sure about The Evictors but imagine even if there were source material problems they could put a lower quality encode on the blu-ray (Criterion has done this with Certified Copy, etc).That's the first I've hard of I Come in Peace being avaliable to Shout Factory, great news!

There is no HD master at MGM so they are just up converting from an SD master

Cliff, so is this confirmation that Town will be DVD only? I personally would be ok with that...to own the film on any form of physical media would still be a real treat.

Nope

Phantom of the Paradise

For THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN you guys probably couldn't get any Special Features due to death or unwillingness to cooperate, but for THE EVICTORS maybe you could or have already gotten Jessica Harper. Maybe get it in good with her and she could persuade her husband to sub-out PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE to you guys, since he was iffy about it before.

I'm still trying to get PHANTOM from Fox

Any more Friday announcements?

People keep asking this and I know they're probably isn't a straight-up answer.

When are the Friday announcement's expected to resume??

I'm more that satisfied with what we've been given already, but those announcements are what helped me make it through the week. Lol.
I don't really care if its anytime soon, but is there any way we can get some sort of vague estimation at what month or how many weeks from now we'll see them return?

there are no plans to return to the Friday announcements. One can only take so many negative comments on the FB page. We get them for the artwork...and our choice of releases. So, by eliminating the announcements, we cut our daily negative comments in half.

So once again whiny horror fans ruin it foe the rest of it. people complaining about the covers really need to stop considering the original poster is always included!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #1815
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
When are the Friday announcement's expected to resume??

I'm more that satisfied with what we've been given already, but those announcements are what helped me make it through the week. Lol.
I don't really care if its anytime soon, but is there any way we can get some sort of vague estimation at what month or how many weeks from now we'll see them return?

there are no plans to return to the Friday announcements. One can only take so many negative comments on the FB page. We get them for the artwork...and our choice of releases. So, by eliminating the announcements, we cut our daily negative comments in half.

So once again whiny horror fans ruin it foe the rest of it. people complaining about the covers really need to stop considering the original poster is always included!
See, this irks me - it's very Bill Olsen. "Oh we're not posting anymore releases because everyone's complaining, now you all are just going to have to wait and see what we have! So na.

Seriously, f**k that noise. The complaints were few and far between and so what if people don't like the newly commissioned cover art? Maybe stop spending the extra money on them and put the money into the discs themselves. Personally I've taken no issue with the covers, and because the original art is always included - the one or two I have been eh on - I've never felt the need to complain. Even those that do have often ended with, "thank god it includes the original cover!"

So what's the big deal?

I apologize if this is coming off a bit bitchy but some of these companies need to get off the soap box and stop playing the violins. Your work is going to have opinions thrown towards it, positive and negative, for the majority of Shout's title announcements - the buzz has been overwhelmingly positive with a couple of whiners throwing down their two cents that they're unhappy about something. It's part of the job, get over it and move on, please the ones who are happy to see those Friday announcements that kept fans flocking to the Facebook page to see what was next every week, don't come on and tell those who are waiting for it to resume that it's not because you got too many complaints.

Who the fuck complained that much? I really DON'T see much, again, the majority is positive - not negative.

Rant done.