Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #1816
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
Who the fuck complained that much?
Do you read blu-ray.com? A lot of the complaints are from there...
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 AM   #1817
highclassrob
Stalker

Quote:
See, this irks me - it's very Bill Olsen. "Oh we're not posting anymore releases because everyone's complaining, now you all are just going to have to wait and see what we have! So na.

Seriously, f**k that noise. The complaints were few and far between and so what if people don't like the newly commissioned cover art? Maybe stop spending the extra money on them and put the money into the discs themselves. Personally I've taken no issue with the covers, and because the original art is always included - the one or two I have been eh on - I've never felt the need to complain. Even those that do have often ended with, "thank god it includes the original cover!"

So what's the big deal?

I apologize if this is coming off a bit bitchy but some of these companies need to get off the soap box and stop playing the violins. Your work is going to have opinions thrown towards it, positive and negative, for the majority of Shout's title announcements - the buzz has been overwhelmingly positive with a couple of whiners throwing down their two cents that they're unhappy about something. It's part of the job, get over it and move on, please the ones who are happy to see those Friday announcements that kept fans flocking to the Facebook page to see what was next every week, don't come on and tell those who are waiting for it to resume that it's not because you got too many complaints.

Who the fuck complained that much? I really DON'T see much, again, the majority is positive - not negative.

Rant done.
In my head I picture Eric Cartman saying, screw you guys I'm going home! Why have a Facebook page at all if you don't want feedback? All of life is not a pat on the back.
highclassrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:22 AM   #1818
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
Do you read blu-ray.com? A lot of the complaints are from there...
Okay so if the complaints are coming from one site with maybe 100 active members, why would you stop posting on the site that the majority of your positive feedback was coming from? Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Again, criticism is going to come; positive and negative, don't focus on the negative and keep the people who are bringing the positive criticism to your product happy - not give the naysayers some kind of authority because they feel like they contributed to something.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #1819
The Tall Man
Stalker

I've always wondered why so many people complain and hate over covers anyway. Who here actually displays their dvd/blu collection so all the covers can be seen anyway ? No one, that's who. All we see are the spines. Sure a cover is nice to look at for a few seconds, then it gets tucked away with the others on the shelf. I don't get it ....
The Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #1820
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Doesn't make a lick of sense.
Never said it does. But the problem is that they are the most vocal and aggressive. What I mean is that a message telling "your label is the crappiest ever because I hate your reversible new cover art" will stick in the mind more than 10 telling "good work once again" if someone put a lot of care and effort in what he do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tall Man View Post
I've always wondered why so many people complain and hate over covers anyway.
Same thing for me. I don't care about a cover as long as a film look good I'm happy. I purchase films not paintings to put on my wall.

Last edited by Jimmy S; 01-16-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #1821
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

I just gonna throw something out there.

When I said that it was "very Bill Olsen of him", I didn't mean he was behaving like Bill - as we all know, Bill has had his fair share of rants about fans and the like, that does not appear to be what Cliff is doing - however, to me it seemed as if that it could be the direction he was heading.

Fans have an influence sure, but don't let the negative ones rule the world which is what Bill does as opposed to what Shout has normally done in letting the good outweigh the bad. In this case they've chosen the latter which I feel is in poor taste and to be honest, he shouldn't have said anything at all.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #1822
X-human
I ate my keys

Brand NEW transfer for The Fog:
Quote:
Tonight we start the new HD transfer of THE FOG, supervised by the great cinematographer, Dean Cundey!

Stayed tuned to us at "KAB Antonio Bay" for more release details this Spring.
https://www.facebook.com/ScreamFactoryDVD?ref=stream

I agree Shout is over reacting somewhat. While there's 81 comments on The Burning's cover art (both good and bad) there's also 469 likes. The positive feedback outweighs the negative by a wide margin. But if they don't have enough news for weekly updates that's fine. They're much more talkative than any other large distributor so there's really nothing for us to complain about.

Also Phantom of the Paradise would be awesome. So awesome.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #1823
Matt89
HackMaster

I really like the custom covers. The one for The Burning looks great! Seems like this custom art served as inspiration:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XREkisFMAb...ntom+City+.jpg

~Matt

Last edited by Matt89; 01-16-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Matt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #1824
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
I really like the custom covers. The one for The Burning looks great! Seems like this custom art served as inspiration:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XREkisFMAb...ntom+City+.jpg

~Matt
i hate to say it, since it seems like exactly the kind of thing thats being talked about here, but: that art is much better than the alternate art for the blu ray.

personally, i've preferred the original poster art on every single scream factory release i've seen. that being said, i'm really happy to have the alternate art available on the slipcovers and flipsides of the cover sheets. it may not replace the original poster art, but in each case they add a little extra to each release. they're always interesting takes on producing new artwork associated with the film. i certainly hope scream doesn't stop with the alternate cover art. i've missed it on releases like The Island and Death Valley.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #1825
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

That cover art for The Burning is absolutely bonkers! Holy shit! The river of blood coming out of Cropsy’s mouth is ingenious. Haha…love it.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #1826
Egg_Shen
broomhead

I like the poll they have up allowing folks to vote on the title they'd most like to see released. It looks like Prince of Darkness is leading the lot. I'd like to think that it's not just an idle tease but a title they're readily pursuing. The Fog is good and all, but Prince of Darkness on blu-ray would be superb!
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #1827
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I can remember in the 80's when companies would try to push older films by obscuring their age and baiting customers with artwork to make them look "current" - as if one is discovering some (then) modern, undiscovered classic.
Sometimes that notion stays with me when companies release popular films with iconic imagery on their one sheets to DVD/Blu with different artwork. That may be what irks some people deep down inside.
I prize the discs in my collection with their original ad slicks intact. I also applaud those companies who give you a double-sided option for the cover.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #1828
Nailwraps
HackMaster

If I may throw my hat in the ring, so far Scream's covers have been really good.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #1829
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
That's awesome. I can't wait. Hopefully "Day of the Dead" will receive a new transfer and remastered audio.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #1830
Jimmy S
Stalker

I'm more curious about the Howling, the widescreen version of my DVD doesn't work anymore (it freezes at some point). Seem to be a problem with the old MGM DVD as Jeeper creepers do the same thing...