Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #1861
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Did you like the film? I just recently got American Netflix and was surprised to see that on there so I watched it. Good atmosphere but I felt the movie was rather drab overall. I dunno. Maybe I was expecting more and need to give it another watch.

~Matt
I saw it on Netflix maybe a year or two ago and really liked it. I was surprised, because I was expecting a ghost movie, but it turned out to be sort of (and I might be pushing it here) a slasher film. The chase scenes are really well done, it has great atmosphere, and it stars the always wonderful Jessica Harper.

I'm really excited to own this on disc. And the Netflix transfer did look really good, even if it's not HD.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #1862
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollman View Post
Yeah, but it's dishonest to knowingly release SD materials as a blu ray.
"Dishonest" is incorrect. A bad business practice would be a better way to put it. If a company wants to put a VHS rip on BD there is nothing "dishonest" about it. They make a product and you can choose to purchase it or not. If you think the product is crap then you have the rite to complain about it. But in doing so you should be mindful of the way you conduct yourself. If you incorrectly call out a man's integrity be prepared for some push back. And IMO you crossed the line. You don't know all of the facts of the situation.

You also have unrealistic expectations. Just about everyone posting on a forum dedicated to exploitation/horror/martial arts or lesser known films owes Cliff unending respect. Due to his work we have hundreds of amazing releases with transfers and special features that exceed what those films deserve. He's also endured on onslaught of spoiled brat fanboys that will complain and nitpick about the smallest things.

If I am ever lucky enough to meet him, his drinks will be one me as long as he's in my town.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #1863
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Yeah, but it's dishonest to knowingly release SD materials as a blu ray.
He wouldn't do that for The Evictors, what does that tell you?
It tells you that it involves a line he'll only cross when nobody's looking.
I respect the man, but he could have said that Fortune Star provided the elements and we were obligated to use them for Blu Ray.
Instead he deflected and attacked.

I do realize posting a PM is chicken shit move, but I'm just returning the favor.
Once again - no one ever said they were SD masters. All that was said was he personally questioned the quality to himself, but didn't to the company which as he said is a bad business move. You don't question a company supplying you with materials that you plan to do business with in the future; again it puts a bad taste in their mouth and that could mean the end of that business relationship.

He's not doing it for THE EVICTORS because THE EVICTORS is most definitely SD material - MGM's not claiming they have an HD master nor have they ever shown one, but if they told Cliff the master they have is HD; you think he's going to question it? They're a reputable company, not to mention one I'm sure Cliff wants to remain in good standing with so they can continue to do business. Questioning the quality of a master that's claimed to be one thing over another is almost like telling the studio someone didn't do their job and that's beyond insulting to any studio.

And even if he did say that they were obligated to release these on Blu Ray - who's to say you would question that issue further? You've done it several other times so what are the chances you wouldn't have done it again?

You can only poke the bear so many times before he strikes my friend.

And I'm sorry but what favor are you returning exactly by posting the PM? Because he got tired of your attacks and finally retaliated? Again, while it might not be the most adult thing to do, your constant questioning/attacking of him whether privately or publicly is uncalled for - you say you've got a lot of respect for the guy but I've seen your posts, I've also seen your posts on Facebook that clearly suggest otherwise. If you have even an ounce of respect for someone, you don't post something they sent you privately especially when you're using it to try and demean them or their character. Not to mention it doesn't prove any kind of a point sans that Cliff is just another human being who had all the wrong buttons pushed.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #1864
Marshall Crist
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post

You also have unrealistic expectations.
I also have unrealistic expectations. Shout has disappointed me many times with low-quality releases. (Next up: JOHNNY SOKKO.) Ultimately the marketplace is to blame--not enough demand to justify spending by labels for top-notch presentations. I have no interest in dragging Cliff or any individual into a discussion of something that I perceive as being beyond their control.
Marshall Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #1865
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I'm counting on you guys to let me know as soon as the pre-orders for The Burning and Town That Dreaded Sundown go live, so that I can pre-order the shit out of them.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #1866
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I'm counting on you guys to let me know as soon as the pre-orders for The Burning and Town That Dreaded Sundown go live, so that I can pre-order the shit out of them.

Haha, no worries, I'm on the case. I'm curious to see what else the company has lined up for May; April was a stacked month! I know we're getting ELECTAGLIDE IN BLUE at some point soon.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #1867
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

Jeez, some people just need to get a life... If you don't like Cliff's "dishonest" approach, then don't buy Scream Factory's product, boycott 'em. I've been happy with most of their releases and will continue to support the company. How many of these company guys frequent these boards or others, because of crap like this?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #1868
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

What a glorious Blu dual release these will be. Can't wait. We're getting some really great stuff this year.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #1869
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
Posting a private message is a chicken shit move and shows a lack of integrity on your part. It also shows that his message has some truth to it.
+1000
I have zero respect for people posting private discussion in public.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #1870
Zollman
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
Once again - no one ever said they were SD masters. All that was said was he personally questioned the quality to himself, but didn't to the company which as he said is a bad business move. You don't question a company supplying you with materials that you plan to do business with in the future; again it puts a bad taste in their mouth and that could mean the end of that business relationship.

He's not doing it for THE EVICTORS because THE EVICTORS is most definitely SD material - MGM's not claiming they have an HD master nor have they ever shown one, but if they told Cliff the master they have is HD; you think he's going to question it? They're a reputable company, not to mention one I'm sure Cliff wants to remain in good standing with so they can continue to do business. Questioning the quality of a master that's claimed to be one thing over another is almost like telling the studio someone didn't do their job and that's beyond insulting to any studio.

And even if he did say that they were obligated to release these on Blu Ray - who's to say you would question that issue further? You've done it several other times so what are the chances you wouldn't have done it again?

You can only poke the bear so many times before he strikes my friend.

And I'm sorry but what favor are you returning exactly by posting the PM? Because he got tired of your attacks and finally retaliated? Again, while it might not be the most adult thing to do, your constant questioning/attacking of him whether privately or publicly is uncalled for - you say you've got a lot of respect for the guy but I've seen your posts, I've also seen your posts on Facebook that clearly suggest otherwise. If you have even an ounce of respect for someone, you don't post something they sent you privately especially when you're using it to try and demean them or their character. Not to mention it doesn't prove any kind of a point sans that Cliff is just another human being who had all the wrong buttons pushed.

I respect Cliff's work.
I also respect him as a sandbox warrior, and that respect requires me to defeat him in a spectacular fashion.
He accused my of being a nitpicking "fanboy" when I asked if he questioned the Fortune Star materials- he drew first blood.

He should have said, "yeah the two Chan films come from a SD source, but we were obligated by Fortune Star to promote them. It's business, it isn't always great"

That is the correct response to my query, and why the Flame War began.
Zollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #1871
promnight13
Victim

Quote:
I respect Cliff's work.
I also respect him as a sandbox warrior, and that respect requires me to defeat him in a spectacular fashion.
You are certifiably a nut. Seriously dude, you need help and a life.
promnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #1872
Zollman
Victim

Dude don't be mean.

I busted a dude on a lie, and he flipped out.
Had to be done.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #1873
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Dude don't be mean.

I busted a dude on a lie, and he flipped out.
Had to be done.
And the reason a lot of companies tend to want to steer clear of releasing niche titles to cult fan bases in general. If you want to contact companies like Sony, Paramount, Disney, or any other major studio to piss and moan about how a particular title was handled, they'll just laugh and blow if off if such a complaint is even read at all. Smaller companies like Shout, Synapse or Blue Underground are in business to make money of course, but they're run by people who are fans of the movies that most of us are fans of. I love what Shout and Synapse are doing and appreciate the extra effort that goes into the titles that they release. Take Shout for instance, they're not making millions of dollars on these titles and could easily just shit out Echo Bridge quality shit if they wanted to cause they know the fans of these films will most likely buy them no matter what, but they try to create the best special features they can and even give them reversable artwork for the people who don't like the newly commissioned artwork that they have made. Bottom line is that they're putting the best effort they can into their releases which is more than I can say for any of the billion dollar major movie studios. What's the matter man? Were your feeling hurt? Get the fuck over it. I'd be frustrated too if I was doing my best to get these titles out there for those who want them and still people find shit to piss and moan about. Like someone said earlier in the thread, if you don't like it, don't buy it. That's your right as a consumer and sure it is also your right to register complaints, but for fucks sake, spend that time bitching about something that deserves to be bitched about. They're fucking movies dude, I'm sure there's more important shit in life that deserves your attention. Seriously, what did you hope to accomplish by coming here and posting that message that Cliff sent you? Did you honestly think it would make you look good somehow 'cause honestly, it makes you look like a fucking douchebag.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 02-03-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Mikey Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #1874
Zollman
Victim

Yeah the Echo Bridge thing, thats what set me off.
Paradoxically the EB Jackie Chan movies actually come from HD masters.

Thats what got me most distressed, that Shout did worse the EB.
Which is almost unthinkable.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #1875
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Yeah the Echo Bridge thing, thats what set me off.
Paradoxically the EB Jackie Chan movies actually come from HD masters.

Thats what got me most distressed, that Shout did worse the EB.
Which is almost unthinkable.
Then don't buy them and move on. This thread has been derailed enough with this bullshit. Let it go.