Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #2071
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Barbeau's Boobs.
Oh lol. Well, being gay I don't give a fuck about that. Bring it on, Scream Factory!

~Matt
Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #2072
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Can some explain to me the legal issues regarding the uncut version?

While I understand why Scream can't do it, why doesn't MGM do something about it?
I believe it's because Barbeau agreed to do nudity under the condition that it only be shown outside of North America. There's some logic to that, she didn't want to have to explain to the family why they shouldn't go see her latest film, didn't want any stigma to effect her career in America as a nude cutie, meet strangers on the street who's seen her nude, etc, etc. Various reasons I'd imagine. It's not an unheard of stipulation.

While the cat's out of the bag, especially in the internet age, I can see why Barbeau wouldn't want to bother with re-negotiating a contract (or MGM really wanting to bother with it either). Unless you want to start a kickstarter campaign to pay for the lawyers and probably more money for Barbeau it is what it is.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #2073
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
What exactly was cut?

~Matt
First off, the US version of Swamp Thing isn't actually cut as it was always intended to be a PG movie in America. The "International" version just contains extra footage shot for sale overseas as that's what the market demanded. This was simply the already mentioned shot of Barbeau's breasts in the swamp and a scene involving some hookers at Arcane's place near the last third of the movie.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado

Last edited by MorallySound; 03-20-2013 at 04:38 PM.
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #2074
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
No uncut version? Pass.
I'm with ya. Why bother?
crikan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #2075
WesReviews
HackMaster

Yeah, the International version was never intended to be the real version. Craven himself says the PG cut is the director's cut.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #2076
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Another reason it was really getting to me emotionally was because I've honestly never had a problem getting girls and when you're in the position I was, when a girl comes onto you and you know you're not gonna be able to have sex with her (god knows I wanted to), it just started to really make me feel like shit. Feelings of inadequacy, I guess.

But at least that's all over and even though it's painful right now, FUCK am I relieved! Haha I'll be back in the game soon enough!

~Matt
(as quoted from the epic Matt-gets-circumcised thread)

Quote:
Oh lol. Well, being gay I don't give a fuck about that. Bring it on, Scream Factory!

~Matt
i'm confused...just what WERE the long-term effects of that circumcision, Matt?

Last edited by dave13; 03-20-2013 at 08:34 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #2077
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Blu-ray.com review for Phantasm II:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Phanta.../46678/#Review
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #2078
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
(as quoted from the epic Matt-gets-circumcised thread)

i'm confused...just what WERE the long-term effects of that circumcision, Matt?
Heh. It's a long story actually. That quote isn't untrue and yes I was circumcised and part of the reason I was out of the game was because I had a medical condition. But yeah, my gf and I broke up because we were just unhappy (we're still good friends, she was actually one of the first few people I came out to - she told me she always suspected). I always knew I was gay, I fucking knew. But growing up in a really conservative Catholic family I tried to hide it for years. My family was - and still is - extremely homophobic - I've only told my mother. She didn't take it well initially, but she's coming around. I just couldn't deal with the guilt and shame I felt for being gay so I kept telling myself that I wasn't (I even considered myself bi for a long time) but I tried to fight it. God I fucking tried. It's just a losing battle. I've been seeing a psychologist because I ended up in a pretty dark place. Drugs, drinking, I actually had to take a year off school this year to deal with it and get my life sorted out. I took to it really badly. Keeping it in, though, was the hardest part.

Coming out, however, was the most liberating experience of my life. The overwhelming love and support I've received from friends is something I will never forget. I was absolutely terrified to tell my brother. He said he always knew, and I think that was the first time in my entire life that he told me he loved me. It was uhh...PRETTY emotional, for me at least. He hugged me and I literally sobbed.

Anyway, it's a long story but I'm doing a lot better. For the first time in my life, I can actually be myself. It's awesome.

~Matt
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #2079
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Heh. It's a long story actually. That quote isn't untrue and yes I was circumcised and part of the reason I was out of the game was because I had a medical condition. But yeah, my gf and I broke up because we were just unhappy (we're still good friends, she was actually one of the first few people I came out to - she told me she always suspected). I always knew I was gay, I fucking knew. But growing up in a really conservative Catholic family I tried to hide it for years. My family was - and still is - extremely homophobic - I've only told my mother. She didn't take it well initially, but she's coming around. I just couldn't deal with the guilt and shame I felt for being gay so I kept telling myself that I wasn't (I even considered myself bi for a long time) but I tried to fight it. God I fucking tried. It's just a losing battle. I've been seeing a psychologist because I ended up in a pretty dark place. Drugs, drinking, I actually had to take a year off school this year to deal with it and get my life sorted out. I took to it really badly. Keeping it in, though, was the hardest part.

Coming out, however, was the most liberating experience of my life. The overwhelming love and support I've received from friends is something I will never forget. I was absolutely terrified to tell my brother. He said he always knew, and I think that was the first time in my entire life that he told me he loved me. It was uhh...PRETTY emotional, for me at least. He hugged me and I literally sobbed.

Anyway, it's a long story but I'm doing a lot better. For the first time in my life, I can actually be myself. It's awesome.

~Matt
To somehow steer things back to the thread topic, glad to hear you're able to SHOUT it out now and be yourself!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #2080
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Blu-ray.com review for Phantasm II:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Phanta.../46678/#Review
I reallllllly don't understand their reviews. 3.5 AGAIN for a PACKED special edition. Yet, Criterion puts a supplement or two or a Masters of Cinema release has only a commentary and a booklet and gets 5 stars for special features? I just look at the screenshots and judge for myself. I rarely, if ever, actually read what they have to say. They're far too snobby and picky and their opinions piss me off. Their reviews are also wildly uneven. I decided to read the parting thoughts and I'm irritated again. Both video and special features received 3.5/5. Yet, they say the supplements are "superb" and the video is "unspectacular". So....like wtf? 3.5/5 is 70%. So....are they superbly unspectacular? Their reviews don't make sense.

~Matt
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #2081
dave13
HackMaster

wow, that's some deep shit for the upcoming shout factory releases thread. but seriously, good for you. GREAT for you. I'm always impressed by people when they come out, it seems like a pretty courageous, difficult thing to do. So colour me impressed. Too bad about your family issues, I hope things end up well in that regard. A friend of mine struggled with coming out to his traditional Italian parents. What made it more difficult was that his older brother had already come out several years earlier, and it had been difficult for his father particularly. Not in terms of actually caring for his son - he's a decent guy, and there was none of that - but rather in some misguided questioning of his own masculinity/parenting. It was kind of sad. But he (my friend) eventually told them, and it all ended up ok. My hope is that, much like my friend's parents, yours will prove to be more compassionate than you may expect (or fear).

...suddenly your appreciation of James Dean takes on a whole new dimension...

Last edited by dave13; 03-20-2013 at 09:54 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #2082
Matt89
HackMaster

Also explains my love for ABBA. LOL.

Edit: Thanks MorallySound. Nice pun haha.

~Matt

Last edited by Matt89; 03-20-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Matt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #2083
delicreep
Stalker

Quote:
I reallllllly don't understand their reviews. 3.5 AGAIN for a PACKED special edition. Yet, Criterion puts a supplement or two or a Masters of Cinema release has only a commentary and a booklet and gets 5 stars for special features? I just look at the screenshots and judge for myself. I rarely, if ever, actually read what they have to say. They're far too snobby and picky and their opinions piss me off. Their reviews are also wildly uneven. I decided to read the parting thoughts and I'm irritated again. Both video and special features received 3.5/5. Yet, they say the supplements are "superb" and the video is "unspectacular". So....like wtf? 3.5/5 is 70%. So....are they superbly unspectacular? Their reviews don't make sense.

~Matt
I wondered the same thing when reading that review. There is a disconnect between the star rating and what the reviewer writes. How does 'superb' translate into 3.5 stars? At least if you are going to shave off a star or two, explain--do the extras not stack up to a previous/concurrent release? Is it a matter of quality vs. quantity?

As it stands, the rating just seems random.
delicreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #2084
ronnie21
HackMaster

yeah. wasnt impressed with screenshots.. oh well, bring on the burning. hope thats better.
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #2085
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:

~Matt
Very happy for you, it takes much courage.
I wish you well in sorting things out.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote