Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #2086
Bluenoser
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Heh. It's a long story actually. That quote isn't untrue and yes I was circumcised and part of the reason I was out of the game was because I had a medical condition. But yeah, my gf and I broke up because we were just unhappy (we're still good friends, she was actually one of the first few people I came out to - she told me she always suspected). I always knew I was gay, I fucking knew. But growing up in a really conservative Catholic family I tried to hide it for years. My family was - and still is - extremely homophobic - I've only told my mother. She didn't take it well initially, but she's coming around. I just couldn't deal with the guilt and shame I felt for being gay so I kept telling myself that I wasn't (I even considered myself bi for a long time) but I tried to fight it. God I fucking tried. It's just a losing battle. I've been seeing a psychologist because I ended up in a pretty dark place. Drugs, drinking, I actually had to take a year off school this year to deal with it and get my life sorted out. I took to it really badly. Keeping it in, though, was the hardest part.

Coming out, however, was the most liberating experience of my life. The overwhelming love and support I've received from friends is something I will never forget. I was absolutely terrified to tell my brother. He said he always knew, and I think that was the first time in my entire life that he told me he loved me. It was uhh...PRETTY emotional, for me at least. He hugged me and I literally sobbed.

Anyway, it's a long story but I'm doing a lot better. For the first time in my life, I can actually be myself. It's awesome.

~Matt
Good for you man... very courageous. Great to see it's had a good impact.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #2087
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i'm confused...just what WERE the long-term effects of that circumcision, Matt?
I'm glad you asked because I too was confused thinking back to the anteater thread.

Glad you're free now Matt. Watch out though because Snowbeast323 might write one million love messages on your wall (if you recall CrazyFatEthel's).

Last edited by Mutilated Prey; 03-21-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Mutilated Prey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #2088
Stige
HackMaster

welcome to the club MAtt, the James Dean thing always made me wonder;-)

on to Shout....
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #2089
Suicide
Space Bastard!

I'm excited about their horror stuff that comes out in a few days. Actually, the press guy from Shout said he was going to add me to the list and send me some review copies but I haven't seen them yet. I don't know if they just send screeners out to the big sites like Blu-ray.com or DVDTalk first, then to the smaller sites later. Maybe he just forgot, or he changed his mind. Anyone on here run a smaller site that gets review screeners know anything about this kind of stuff? I don't know, I emailed him last week and never heard back, so I figured he changed his mind, but then I got another email that was like "Attention press colleagues...", so I'm pretty confused.

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #2090
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
I reallllllly don't understand their reviews. 3.5 AGAIN for a PACKED special edition ... I rarely, if ever, actually read what they have to say.
~Matt

When it comes to judging the Video Quality of a release, blu-ray.com is very consisent and informative. Perhaps if you "actually read what they have to say" you would feel the same.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #2091
chancetx
Stalker

Quote:
Also explains my love for ABBA. LOL.

~Matt
I've had more than one cashier look at me funny when I plop down a stack of horror DVDs alongside an ABBA CD or dance music compilation! Glad to know there's another kindred spirit out there! We like what we like.

Best of luck to you, Matt. I came out over 20 years ago and it was extremely difficult at the time but the weight off my shoulders was such a relief. It's amazing how much has changed and how more accepting people are in such a short time. Great to see so much support on this site.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #2092
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
I reallllllly don't understand their reviews. 3.5 AGAIN for a PACKED special edition. Yet, Criterion puts a supplement or two or a Masters of Cinema release has only a commentary and a booklet and gets 5 stars for special features? I just look at the screenshots and judge for myself. I rarely, if ever, actually read what they have to say. They're far too snobby and picky and their opinions piss me off. Their reviews are also wildly uneven. I decided to read the parting thoughts and I'm irritated again. Both video and special features received 3.5/5. Yet, they say the supplements are "superb" and the video is "unspectacular". So....like wtf? 3.5/5 is 70%. So....are they superbly unspectacular? Their reviews don't make sense.

~Matt
I said the exact same thing in the related thread on Bluray.com. They reviews and scores are whack when it comes to horror films.

As for coming out, good for you man! No need to hide that shit these days, even if it is still unfortunately hard for some to accept. Times have changed, people need to change with them, and hopefully your parents realize this. I'm sure it's just a big change for them and they will just want what's best for you in the end.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #2093
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I said the exact same thing in the related thread on Bluray.com. They reviews and scores are whack when it comes to horror films.
Of course, Bluray.com deleted my post because they can't handle criticism. Not liked I attacked anyone, or was rude with what I said.

My Movie Collection

Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #2094
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
When it comes to judging the Video Quality of a release, blu-ray.com is very consisent and informative. Perhaps if you "actually read what they have to say" you would feel the same.
Well I used to read them and found their reviews to be inconsistent. Now when I did decide to read this one, surprise surprise. Same shit.

And thanks again guys. It's nice to hear it. And sorry to everyone else lol. I didn't mean to hijack this thread!

~Matt
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #2095
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Of course, Bluray.com deleted my post because they can't handle criticism. Not liked I attacked anyone, or was rude with what I said.
I barely even post anything on that forum. There's just way too many useless threads and dumbass replies. They could ban me and I wouldn't really give a shit.

And I agree, their reviews are often inconsistent.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #2096
crikan
HackMaster

I've bought well more than 300 blu-rays and I've read the reviews at blu-ray.com for the vast majority of them. I can't think of one time they didn't nail the Video Quality part of the review.

I get the impression that some cult fans don't like blu-ray.com because they are too objective or technical in their reviews. If a cult favorite publisher like Shout Factory releases a cult favorite title like PHANTASM II, then nothing less than a 5/5 is acceptable. Because Shout Factory is awesome and so is PHANTASM II. Somehow giving anything PHANTASM II or Shout Factory less than a perfect score is uninformed hackery. Blu-ray.com tells me when a title uses DNR, has natural grain structure or exhibits "telecine wobble" and that's what is important to me. I'm not looking for them to give out gold stars to my favorite labels and films. I'm also not looking for their opinions of the films themselves. For those kind of reviews I consult Horror Digital, AVManiacs and RockShockPop.

I agree that their forum is shit.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #2097
ronnie21
HackMaster

they gave Halloween III's video quality a 3.5, come on. that was the best of the best shout transfers. awesome quality.. Btw. got my Timerider today. looks really good...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #2098
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
they gave Halloween III's video quality a 3.5, come on. that was the best of the best shout transfers. awesome quality.. Btw. got my Timerider today. looks really good...
I think that site is pure bullshit personally, I used to visit frequently for the first two weeks after I upgraded to blu, however I quickly got fed up with their elitist nonsense.
The problem is many people reviewing obviously have disdain for the genre and the relevance these more obscure films have to the genre fans.
It's like expecting a Julio Iglesias fan to impartially review the new Jimi Hendrix remasters.
I always found DVDtalk and its offshoots far more entertaining and factual.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #2099
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
I've bought well more than 300 blu-rays and I've read the reviews at blu-ray.com for the vast majority of them. I can't think of one time they didn't nail the Video Quality part of the review.

I get the impression that some cult fans don't like blu-ray.com because they are too objective or technical in their reviews. If a cult favorite publisher like Shout Factory releases a cult favorite title like PHANTASM II, then nothing less than a 5/5 is acceptable. Because Shout Factory is awesome and so is PHANTASM II. Somehow giving anything PHANTASM II or Shout Factory less than a perfect score is uninformed hackery. Blu-ray.com tells me when a title uses DNR, has natural grain structure or exhibits "telecine wobble" and that's what is important to me. I'm not looking for them to give out gold stars to my favorite labels and films. I'm also not looking for their opinions of the films themselves. For those kind of reviews I consult Horror Digital, AVManiacs and RockShockPop.

I agree that their forum is shit.
So how do you explain this only getting a 3.5 for extras when it is as stacked as possibly could be. What more would you want? Yet, just about all of their Criterion releases get a 4.5-4 for extras even the ones that just have a commentary, trailer and booklet. You are right, no Scream release is perfect, nor do they deserve 5 across the board, but give credit where credit is due. This reviewer has disliked every Scream movie that has come across his way, and I'm fine with his not liking the movie, but don;t bring down the scores in every other department. This definitely deserves a 4.5-5 for extras, nuff said.

My Movie Collection

Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #2100
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
I get the impression that some cult fans don't like blu-ray.com because they are too objective or technical in their reviews.
I stopped reading them for the opposite reasons: too often they overlook problems if the movie itself has enough explosions in it as "demo material" and they make technical mistakes all the time.

All too often I read glaringly obvious mistakes about film and video on simple stuff like frame rates. Their review of The Phantom of the Opera was the last one I read because they obviously had no idea what the fuck they were talking about. Even claimed to consult "various sources."

They're also notorious for supporting excessive DNR and crying foul on natural grain levels. They do jump all over EE I'll give them credit for that. But their screenshots are also compressed so they're not even useful as true comparisons to other transfers. So their video reviews are completely worthless to me.

Basically if you want your man cave to impress frat boys read Blu-ray.com reviews. If you want a theatrical experience true to the film maker's intentions read Home Theater Forum.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote