Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #2341
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

Along with Nightmares (1983) and Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)!
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #2342
Body Boy
HackMaster

If they're going for Anchor Bay titles, The Prey and Berserker should be up their alley.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #2343
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Well its not really a spoiler. I mean not even the movie wants to spoil anything. I was expecting something similar to a giallo reveal seeing as the movie keeps throwing hints our way. That's a terrible way to end the film seeing as nothing too exciting happens anyway. The only film I've seen that's pulled that kind of thing off is Black Chrismas which gives you chills at the end.
Saying the killer is never revealed is a spoiler, but whatever. You didn't like the trumpet scene? That shit is burned in my memory forever. The first time I saw Black Christmas the same issue irked me. However, upon a few more viewings it's one of my favorites.

As much as I love the original, I think it could make a great remake if done properly.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #2344
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Saw The Town That Dreaded Sundown the other night and really didn't like it at all. I was very disappointed that the killer was never revealed. Waste of time IMO. I'll be skipping the blu.
It's a movie based on a true story about an unidentified serial killer, what do you expect?

But if you must know, the Phantom Killer's true identity is
Spoiler:
Tom Waits from Seven Pyschopaths.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #2345
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Well its not really a spoiler. I mean not even the movie wants to spoil anything. I was expecting something similar to a giallo reveal seeing as the movie keeps throwing hints our way. That's a terrible way to end the film seeing as nothing too exciting happens anyway. The only film I've seen that's pulled that kind of thing off is Black Chrismas which gives you chills at the end.
Were you also pissed at Zodiac for the same reason?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #2346
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZl7zl2Yozk
Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #2347
Suicide
Space Bastard!

I just put up my review for The Town That Dreaded Sundown if anyone wants to read it. I also have about 10 Blu-ray screenshots on there, so even if you don't want to read it, there are some pictures to show off the video quality, including the shot of the accidental cameraman during the badass slo-mo scene. Overall I'm not a huge fan of it actually, I love the Phantom Killer stuff, but I don't care much for the rest of the movie, especially the dorky comedy. I kinda liked The Evictors more. Great package though, movie looks great and sounds fine. Here's the review:
http://the-manchester-morgue.blogspo...wn-scream.html

Also, my Burning review (with screenshots) for those who didn't see it in the other thread:
http://the-manchester-morgue.blogspo...lu-raydvd.html

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #2348
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
Saying the killer is never revealed is a spoiler, but whatever. You didn't like the trumpet scene? That shit is burned in my memory forever. The first time I saw Black Christmas the same issue irked me. However, upon a few more viewings it's one of my favorites.

As much as I love the original, I think it could make a great remake if done properly.
I don't know, it just didn't seem to do a lot for me. I just found myself bored for most of the film. There were a few exceptions like the hilarious car chase scene. That was gold.
I heard this WAS being remade but maybe I'm mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
It's a movie based on a true story about an unidentified serial killer, what do you expect?

Spoiler:
To be fair, most horror films that say they're based on a true story aren't or are highly exaggerated. I guess I was expecting a little more closure seeing as I wasn't aware the killer was never found in real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
Were you also pissed at Zodiac for the same reason?
Never seen Zodiac. I now know to be weary if I ever do watch it.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #2349
Suicide
Space Bastard!

Yeah, there's a remake happening now actually. I saw some casting news on a few horror news sites

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #2350
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
I don't know, it just didn't seem to do a lot for me. I just found myself bored for most of the film. There were a few exceptions like the hilarious car chase scene. That was gold.
I heard this WAS being remade but maybe I'm mistaken.
Well you can't please everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide View Post
I just put up my review for The Town That Dreaded Sundown if anyone wants to read it. I also have about 10 Blu-ray screenshots on there, so even if you don't want to read it, there are some pictures to show off the video quality, including the shot of the accidental cameraman during the badass slo-mo scene. Overall I'm not a huge fan of it actually, I love the Phantom Killer stuff, but I don't care much for the rest of the movie, especially the dorky comedy. I kinda liked The Evictors more. Great package though, movie looks great and sounds fine. Here's the review:
http://the-manchester-morgue.blogspo...wn-scream.html

Also, my Burning review (with screenshots) for those who didn't see it in the other thread:
http://the-manchester-morgue.blogspo...lu-raydvd.html
Those screenshots of Town look awesome, so psyched. Never noticed the cameraman before -ha!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #2351
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
To be fair, most horror films that say they're based on a true story aren't or are highly exaggerated. I guess I was expecting a little more closure seeing as I wasn't aware the killer was never found in real life.
well, i know a little of the actual case, and that he was never found, but i haven't seen the movie and while if i'd thought about it i would have probably assumed he wasn't revealed, the truth is that i hadn't really thought about it, so your post is a bit of a spoiler for me. no worries, though, i'm still looking forward to it.

Quote:
Never seen Zodiac. I now know to be weary if I ever do watch it.
zodiac is actually a fantastic movie. if you go into it with your expectations regarding the killer's identity being firmly in check, i have no reason to think you wouldn't really enjoy it. its seriously creepy, made even more so because of the lack of closure available.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #2352
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
well, i know a little of the actual case, and that he was never found, but i haven't seen the movie and while if i'd thought about it i would have probably assumed he wasn't revealed, the truth is that i hadn't really thought about it, so your post is a bit of a spoiler for me. no worries, though, i'm still looking forward to it.

zodiac is actually a fantastic movie. if you go into it with your expectations regarding the killer's identity being firmly in check, i have no reason to think you wouldn't really enjoy it. its seriously creepy, made even more so because of the lack of closure available.
Sorry, I just didn't think that mentioning a film doesn't spoil who the killer is was a spoiler in itself. I still don't really see how it is. It's more like a fair warning that should be on the cover itself.

Might check out Zodiac sometime soon then. I've heard many good things about it.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #2353
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Sorry, I just didn't think that mentioning a film doesn't spoil who the killer is was a spoiler in itself. I still don't really see how it is. It's more like a fair warning that should be on the cover itself.

Might check out Zodiac sometime soon then. I've heard many good things about it.
Think of it this way - you watched the movie and say you were let down in the end cause the killer was never revealed. You had anticipation that you might find out throughout the movie however. Someone else that reads your post will now lose that intrigue when they watch it for the first time - "oh I already know it remains a mystery". Not trying to harsh on you at all, just trying to portray a newbie's perspective.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #2354
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
Think of it this way - you watched the movie and say you were let down in the end cause the killer was never revealed. You had anticipation that you might find out throughout the movie however. Someone else that reads your post will now lose that intrigue when they watch it for the first time - "oh I already know it remains a mystery". Not trying to harsh on you at all, just trying to portray a newbie's perspective.
It's cool, your post makes sense. Well yea, looking at it that way I guess it is a slight spoiler.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #2355
startide
Stalker

Quote:
Saw The Town That Dreaded Sundown the other night and really didn't like it at all. Waste of time IMO. I'll be skipping the blu.
At least you made it thru! I didn't and I still think it's as boring as batshit. (Sorry MP. )

I'll still be buying the blu though - The Evictors is a fine film. It's a shame that it's an extra though, because there's no extras for an extra. Funny now I look back on it, a scope film that somehow managed to hook me in on VHS of all things! When I look back at Scope movies on VHS these days I can barely make it through (assuming I do, that is).

Oh and BTW, do not watch Zodiac! Trust me, that's worse!

Last edited by startide; 05-04-2013 at 09:06 AM.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote