Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-30-2010, 01:28 AM   #256
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Watched Galaxy of Terror. Wasn't expecting a lot from the Blu Ray, but the transfer is terrible! The film doesn't hold up real well either! It's been a long time since I've seen it and my memories are better then the film!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #257
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
Watched Galaxy of Terror. Wasn't expecting a lot from the Blu Ray, but the transfer is terrible!
I disagree. It doesn't have the 3D quality that some bigger budget films have, but it's clean, doesn't appear to have been tampered with and the grain levels are perfect for this kind of film. It was exactly what I was hoping for, not better or worse. I haven't read a "professional" review yet that said it looked terrible.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #258
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Synapse's Don May has said before that pre-order help alot because the more you pre-order the more Amazon or DD will also order to cover their in house stocking. The more ordered up front for at a company like Synapse the better idea they themselves have of how many to make for the first run. This reduces their own costs. There are other benefits, like if a distributor sees high pre-orders they may be able to push harder on Best Buy to get it on more shelves, and I'm sure there are many other reasons as well.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to learn.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #259
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Starcrash DVD and Blu-Ray specs have been announced!:

http://www.avmaniacs.com/blog/2010/d...10-full-specs/

"The ultimate ROGER CORMAN science-fiction classic makes its long-awaited debut FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIGH-DEFINITION BLU-RAY™ AND ON DVD!

SHOUT! FACTORY PRESENTS STARCRASH

Starring Caroline Munro, David Hasselhoff, Christopher Plummer, Joe Spinell and Marjoe Gortner

2-DISC SPECIAL-EDITION BLU-RAY™ and DVD

Digitally Remastered and Presented in Widescreen for the First Time with a Galaxy’s Worth of Special Features!

Crashing Home Entertainment Shelves Nationwide September 14, 2010 From Shout! Factory

One of the most eagerly awaited inter-galactic science-fiction adventures, released by Roger Corman’s New World Pictures, will finally be made available for the first time to the home entertainment shelves as StarCrash, directed by Luigi Cozzi, will debut September 14, 2010 on 2-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray and DVD from Shout! Factory, in association with New Horizons Picture Corporation. An adventure like no other, the StarCrash 2-Disc Special Edition contains anamorphic widescreen presentation of the movie with DTS HD 5.1 surround sound (Blu-ray), a reversible cover featuring vintage art for original movie posters and a payload of bonus content including all-new interviews and commentaries with cast and crew, rare behind-the-scenes footage and much more! A must-have for loyal fans of Roger Corman and Luigi Cozzi, science fiction enthusiasts and collectors, StarCrash 2-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray and DVD mark the latest installments from the popular ROGER CORMAN’S CULT CLASSICS home entertainment series from Shout! Factory. Each Special Edition Blu-ray and DVD is sold separately. Blu-ray is priced to own at $26.97; and DVD is available at $19.93.

Produced in Italy in the wake of Star Wars’ phenomenal success, StarCrash (also known as The Adventures of Stella Star in overseas territories) became an international blockbuster in its own right. This 1979 film became one of New World Pictures’ biggest box-office hits. Critics might have laughed, by so did audiences, who grooved to its campy humor, wildly imaginative special effects (some of them quite good!) and non-stop adventure. Where Star Wars dared not go, StarCrash went — at warp speed!

The lasting peace of the galaxy is threatened by the diabolical and relentless Count Zarth Arn (cult icon Joe Spinell, Rocky, The Godfather and The Godfather - Part II), who is determined to take the universe for himself and make each planet his plaything, each inhabitant his slave. There is no question that the Count is evil, given his propensity for cackling at every opportunity.

Can anyone save the universe from this megalomaniacal madman? Indeed there is, and she’s quite a beauty.

Brave, bikini-clad star warrior Stella Star (Caroline Munro, The Spy Who Loved Me, At the Earth’s Core) and her co-pilot Akton (child evangelist-turned-actor Marjoe Gortner, Food of the Gods, Mausoleum) are pressed into service to thwart the evil Zarth Arn’s plot. If they succeed, galactic peace will be achieved. If they fail, the universe will fall into decay and destruction at the hands of its sadistic new overlord.

Have no fear, because Stella Star is here!

The film’s zesty, star-studded cast also includes People’s Choice Award winner David Hasselhoff (Knight Rider, Baywatch) in one of his first big-screen roles, noted screen tough guy Robert Tessier (The Longest Yard, The Cannonball Run) and legendary two-time Emmy® and Tony® Award winner, and Academy Award® nominee Christopher Plummer (The Last Station, Murder by Decree, The Sound of Music) as The Emperor.

StarCrash was written and directed by fan favorite Luigi Cozzi (AKA Lewis Coates), whose other cult masterworks include Alien Contamination (an “homage” to Alien) and the unforgettable Lou Ferrigno vehicle Hercules (an “homage” to Conan the Barbarian). The film also boasts a rousing score by five-time Academy Award® winner John Barry (Dances With Wolves, Out of Africa, 10 James Bond films).

Alas, StarCrash would prove to be the only big-screen Stella Star adventure … but as its worldwide legion of fans will attest, it was one to remember!

STARCRASH 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY and DVD BONUS CONTENT

New Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer (1.85:1) and DTS HD 5.1 Surround Sound (Blu-ray), Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (DVD)

Disc One:
· Interview with writer/director Luigi Cozzi
· StarCrash: the music of John Barry, a detailed analysis of the score by Mars of Deadhouse Music
· 2 feature-length commentaries by StarCrash historian Stephen Romano:
Commentary 1: the history of StarCrash, the making of the film and its importance in 1970s fantastic cinema.
Commentary 2: StarCrash scene-by-scene: production trivia, anecdotes and critical analysis.
· Behind-the-scenes image gallery, featuring storyboards, art, and rare, never-before-seen photos!
· Promotional art gallery, featuring photos, posters, lobby cards and early poster designs by Drew Struzan
· Fan art gallery, featuring an exclusive look at the all-new, sexy Stella Star art from fantasy illustrator Robin Greenville Evans
· Theatrical trailer with commentary by Eli Roth from Trailersfromhell.com and an all-new exclusive trailer commentary by filmmaker/editor Joe Dante!
· TV spots and radio Spots

DISC TWO
· Interview with actress Caroline Munro (60 min.)
· 17 Deleted and alternate scenes
· The complete, original StarCrash screenplay, illustrated with original storyboards and early, full-color concept art
· Exclusive 20-minute behind-the-scenes footage reel, with commentary
· The making of the special effects of StarCrash by Armando Valcauda with exclusive, never-before-seen special-effects footage

Shout! Factory will continue to present ROGER CORMAN’S CULT CLASSICS home entertainment releases on a monthly basis. Upcoming highlights include The Slumber Party Massacre collection, The Evil, Twice Dead, The Warrior and The Sorceress, Barbarian Queen, Not of This Earth, Terror Within, Streets, Angel in Red, Lady in Red, Crazy Mama, Big Bad Mama, among others.

Independent filmmaker-producer Roger Corman’s storied career ranks as one of Hollywood’s most amazing success stories. Having produced more than 350 films and directed 50 others, his influence on American film goes far beyond his own energetic, creative low-budget movies. He is arguably one of Hollywood’s most gifted and masterful filmmakers. In 2009 he was the recipient of an honorary Academy Award for his contribution to the medium of film.

Noted for his keen ability to spot young talent, Corman’s most lasting legacy will undoubtedly be the legion of producers, directors, writers and actors he has fostered, among them: Jack Nicholson, Francis Ford Coppola, Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese, James Cameron, Ron Howard, Peter Fonda, Jonathan Demme, Gale Anne Hurd, Diane Ladd, Tommy Lee Jones, William Shatner, Sandra Bullock, Bruce Dern, Talia Shire, Charles Bronson, Joe Dante, Carl Franklin, Jonathan Kaplan, Bill Paxton, Dennis Hopper, Curtis Hanson, Peter Bogdanovich, John Sayles, David Carradine and Sally Kirkland.

Shout! Factory is a diversified entertainment company devoted to producing, uncovering and revitalizing the very best of pop culture. Founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos have spent their careers sharing their music, television and film faves with discerning consumers the world over. Shout! Factory’s DVD offerings serve up classic, contemporary and cult TV series, riveting sports programs, live music, animation and documentaries in lavish packages crammed with extras. The company’s audio catalogue boasts GRAMMY®-nominated boxed sets, new releases from storied artists, lovingly assembled album reissues and indispensable “best of” compilations. These riches are the result of a creative acquisitions mandate that has established the company as a hotbed of cultural preservation and commercial reinvention. With its fingers on the pulse of pop culture, Shout! Factory continues to impact the entertainment media landscape through acquisition of top quality programming for home entertainment releases. Shout! Factory is based in Santa Monica, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit www.shoutfactory.com"
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #260
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Sounds great Nailwraps. I always appreciate you keeping us up to date with releases and their contents...thanks man.

Man, I was hoping the new remastered transfer of Galaxy of Terror would have made it a little easier to sit through...nope. Its still one hell of an atrocious flick. Which really brings up the question why Shout! would choose to master GOT and FW in HD, bet let Slumber Party Massacre stay in standard-def. Surely, SPM has a broader audience who actually enjoy watching the flick. Whatever I still love Shout!
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #261
x666x
HackMaster

Nice

I am enjoying buying Shout Blu's every 2 weeks. I don't want it to end. Was getting worried Aug 3 would be the last good Tuesday I'd be having in a while.

And 5.1? Hot diggidy
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #262
HAEMORRHAGE
If he dies, he dies

Not familiar with this one, I had no idea that Joe Spinell and Caroline Munro were in a third movie together. Very interesting.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 AM   #263
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Which really brings up the question why Shout! would choose to master GOT and FW in HD, bet let Slumber Party Massacre stay in standard-def. Surely, SPM has a broader audience who actually enjoy watching the flick. Whatever I still love Shout!
Agreed! Slumber Party Massacre is the one I'd most like to see on blu-ray! But I believe Shout Factory has said that they don't believe it will sell well enough to justify a blu-ray release.

Then a few weeks later they announce Starcrash on blu-ray? Baffling.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #264
springjack
Maniac

Already pre-ordered...

Star Crash
The Evil / Twice Dead
Slumber Party Massacre
________
Honda Cl200 Specifications

Last edited by springjack; 03-20-2011 at 09:58 PM.
springjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #265
Katatonia
Master of Doom

The Starcrash Blu-ray sounds excellent. The film is an old guilty pleasure of mine, and I'll be happy to replace the Female Space Invaders DVD I have of it. I never dreamed that it would receive such a high-quality release.

And the Humanoids from the Deep and Piranha Blu-rays shall arrive to my doorstep on Tuesday from Amazon, along with the Death Sport/Battle Truck DVD. Yay!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #266
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Forbidden World was a much better transfer than Galaxy of Terror, but I'm not sure why they had to give the director's cut in an untouched crappy 4:3 DVD, unless that is the only master they could find. Still, I'm happy some of these films are finally coming out in one form or another. They are films I loved from the VHS era and it is just surprising that they are getting a release at all! I want to get almost all of the Corman collection and the other stuff that Shout is releasing!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #267
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I don't recall GALAXY OF TERROR ever looking very clear. But - I only have my VHS to go by. When it was Showtime in 1982, I thought it was too dark and really couldn't see the special effects too well.
I'm hoping to get it soon on DVD to see the difference in qualities. I love the flick! Now one release I wish could be made: the USA drive-in release of SCREAMERS with inserted man-turned-inside out scene (what a complicated release that was!). too obscure, I know.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #268
fceurich39
HackMaster

The Ubiquitous, Outrageous Icon Max Headroom Is Baaack!

MAX HEADROOM:
THE COMPLETE SERIES

Starring Matt Frewer, Amanda Pays,
W. Morgan Sheppard and Jeffrey Tambor

Featuring Eye-Popping Limited-Edition 3-D Lenticular Packaging,
This Long-Awaited Collectible 5-DVD Box Set Is Packed With All
14 Original Enthralling Episodes And Bountiful Bonus Content

OWN IT ON DVD!
IN STORES NATIONWIDE AUGUST 10 FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

July 6, 2010 - In the futuristic world of computers and fantasy, anything is possible, including the rise of the opinionated, computer-simulated multimedia personality Max Headroom. A pervasive pop culture icon, Max Headroom heralded the coming of trans-media age like a mad prophet of the airwaves, bolstered by his own international talk show, music video, countless major brand endorsement, merchandising and TV series. The landmark 1980s TV satire Max Headroom explored the television industry through the unique view of a sci-fi lens, featuring quirky visuals and adventurous, timely plotlines. One of the first TV series aimed at the video/computer generation, the critically acclaimed Max Headroom, starring Matt Frewer, W. Morgan Sheppard, Jeffrey Tambor and Amanda Pays, found instant fan support from the moment it debuted on ABC in 1987. Never mind Broadcast News or Network: it was Max Headroom taking on the truth about TV, in what was then an unthinkable 4,000 channel universe, where television sets are never turned off and cameras watch you everywhere.

For a longtime, fans have been anticipating the home entertainment debut of the show critics called the first cyberpunk series. On August 10, 2010, Shout! Factory, in association with Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc., will unleash Max Headroom: The Complete Series in a collectible 5-DVD box set featuring all 14 episodes and a payload of exclusive bonus features that reveal the genesis, life and afterlife of the series with all-new interviews featuring the cast and creative team! A must-have for collectors and loyal fans, this deluxe DVD box set is further sparkled with a visually stunning 3-D lenticular exterior packaging and is priced to own at $49.97 SRP.

EXTENSIVE DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE:
Live On Network 23: The Story Of Max Headroom - Co-creators/directors Annabel Jankel and Rocky Morton, co-creator George Stone, executive producer Peter Wagg, producer Brian Frankish and writers Steve Roberts and Michael Cassutt share their stories behind the British movie and American TV series that created an icon.
Looking Back At The Future - An intimate roundtable discussion with Amanda Pays, Jeffrey Tambor, Concetta Tomei and Chris Young, moderated by Max Headroom superfan and creator of The Middleman Javier Grillo-Marxuach.
The Big-Time Blanks - Morgan Sheppard and Concetta Tomei reflect on Max Headroom and the friendship that has endured over the 20+ years since the series' cancellation.
The Science Behind The Fiction - Co-creator George Stone reveals his own philosophies and technology's role in the creation of Max Headroom.
Producing Dystopia - Producer Brian Frankish recounts the chaotic and rewarding task of producing a series set 20 Minutes into the Future.
The Writers Remember - Executive story editor Steve Roberts and story editor Michael Cassutt share their stories of writing for the world's first computer-generated TV star.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Max...#ixzz0vIKo1Zub
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #269
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Just watched Death Race 2000 for the first time and was disappointed. Some cool carnage aside it was too cheesy and dated for my tastes.

Watching Rock n Roll High School and I really like it so far.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #270
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Shout Factory seems to be the new Anchor Bay! They are really making us cult / horror / exploitation fans happy!