Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #2686
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
That and Criterion keeps it simple which I like.
Exactly. A true artist knows how to focus their creativity to achieve maximum impact. Scream Factory illustrators, on the other hand, can't seem to come to a decision on what specifically to highlight from the film and so they throw everything including the kitchen sink at the canvas. What the hell am I supposed to be focusing on when I look at the Funhouse cover? Or Terror Train? Halloween III? I've had these discs for months and I still can't figure them out. Did any of these guys ever take a design class? Christ, the more that I talk about the covers the less that I like them. At this rate pretty soon I'll be striking a match to them!

Last edited by maybrick; 06-13-2013 at 02:10 AM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #2687
ronnie21
HackMaster

Well, at least its not as bad as the 90's horror posters with the entire cast plastered on the front. not scary at all, no creativity at all..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #2688
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
Well, at least its not as bad as the 90's horror posters with the entire cast plastered on the front. not scary at all, no creativity at all..
It isn't as bad, no. But it's close. One of the main criticisms of these posters is of all of the floating heads of the main cast. That makes these covers very '90s. The only real difference is that these are illustrations, not photographs. The end result, however, is the same.

Last edited by maybrick; 06-13-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #2689
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
That is with any digital release these days putting spoilers all over the artwork and menus.
I'm sure it doesn't beat this DVD menu in the spoilers domain

Never seen The Burning, at least I don't think I did but when I was that age my movie watching was in french dub so we never know, and I'm not sure yet if I will get it... I just don't see the point of getting a movie when the cover and the menu will spoil it anyway. If I do it will be a second hand copy since I don't want to support that practice even if one copy doesn't make a difference for Shout!
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #2690
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

Prince of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide View Post
I wouldn't say the new Burning art is great, but I never liked that old romance novel poster either. People are also bitching about the Prince of Darkness cover, which really has me baffled. Even if you don't like the new cover art, the original poster for Prince of Darkness is hideous, one of my least favorite original posters ever.
All of this whining about the new Scream Factory artwork is completely unfounded! I'm sure that we would both agree. Some people would bitch and moan about any damn thing! The fact of the matter is Scream Factory is FUCKING AWESOME! :-) PERIOD!
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #2691
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

Prince of Darkness

Quote:
I wouldn't say the new Burning art is great, but I never liked that old romance novel poster either. People are also bitching about the Prince of Darkness cover, which really has me baffled. Even if you don't like the new cover art, the original poster for Prince of Darkness is hideous, one of my least favorite original posters ever.
Yeah the original movie poster for Prince of Darkness isn't great but it's better than the original one-sheet for The Burning. It just looks so romance novel. It makes me sick actually!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #2692
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Lot's of sexual innuendos cumming from you.
Seriously you little bitches does have a tendency to whine a lot! As William Shatner said, "Get a life"!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #2693
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
All of this whining about the new Scream Factory artwork is completely unfounded! I'm sure that we would both agree. Some people would bitch and moan about any damn thing! The fact of the matter is Scream Factory is FUCKING AWESOME! :-) PERIOD!
I have to agree. A lot of the covers look pretty awesome. It beast the photoshop phase they were going through where half the time the cover didn't even represent the film at all.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #2694
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Quote:
Seriously you little bitches does have a tendency to whine a lot! As William Shatner said, "Get a life"!

You like the art. Fine. Good for you, but there is absolutely no need to be insulting to those of us that don't. These are called honest and valid criticisms. I'm sorry if the concept is so alien to you, but you actually can like something without being 100% gung ho about it. Scream Factory is awesome because even THEY realize that the new art wouldn't be for everybody and it's for people like us that they left the original covers as an alternative. Have you ever thought that maybe if they listened to some of our concerns that Scream Factory might actually produce BETTER artwork in the future? This isn't just petty bitching for the sake of bitching. We aren't asking Scream Factory to stop producing new art. What we ARE doing is being constructive and offering ways to make artwork better. Chiefly, stop using floating heads and simplify the designs.

Last edited by maybrick; 06-13-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #2695
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Dobby could find sexual innuendo in an episode of Spongebob, just sayin'.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #2696
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Yeah the original movie poster for Prince of Darkness isn't great but it's better than the original one-sheet for The Burning. It just looks so romance novel. It makes me sick actually!
I LOVE the one sheet art for THE BURNING...however, I will say this: even as a wee 10 year old as I was looking up at this very poster while standing in line at the drive-in concessions I couldn't quite tell if it was a horror movie! I mean, I saw no trailers (the movie just showed up that fine June 5th on a double bill with "Dressed To Kill"). With other horror titles in recent months with titles like "Friday the 13th Part 2", "My Bloody Valentine" and "Alligator" (incidentally playing that same night on another screen) the title "The Burning" just didn't seem to lend itself to a horror flick about a scary summer camp. So...as my folks were enjoying "Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams", I sat in the back seat watching the events of "Burning" unfold...and confirm that yes, it was a horror flick...and given the low number of cars in the lot, was going to vanish without fanfare.
Good times.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #2697
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
one thing I don't like about the Burning Blu-ray. is that in the opening menu, it gives away the raft massacre right away. I wanted that to be a surprise for those who never seen it..
My first thought when I launched it was "Thanks for ruining the movie Shout Factory". I haven't seen THE BURNING in about 4 years, and having the highlights shotgun'd at me right before I watched it took some of my anticipation for the film away. Morons!
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #2698
ronnie21
HackMaster

I quess they just assume everyones seen it by now..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #2699
Suicide
Space Bastard!

Good news for those of you who dislike the new cover art, Pscyho II and III will only feature the original artwork:

"***PSYCHO II & III Key Art Update***

Sorry but we have some unfortunate news to report about our upcoming Collector's Editions of PSYCHO II & III.

It was always our original intention to have new art commissioned for both (which would be consistent with our other "Collector's Edition" releases) but the studio asked to go with the original theatrical poster artwork on these films instead. As much as this decision disappoints, we respect it and are still pleased that the original art will still be represented, but this time front and center. We hope you will be too.

For those curious, a slipcase will still be on the releases like our other Collector's Editions. Be on the lookout soon for the finalized specs and artwork within the next couple of months. Street date is 9/24. Thanks for understanding."

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #2700
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Good news for those of you who dislike the new cover art, Pscyho II and III will only feature the original artwork:

"***PSYCHO II & III Key Art Update***

Sorry but we have some unfortunate news to report about our upcoming Collector's Editions of PSYCHO II & III.

It was always our original intention to have new art commissioned for both (which would be consistent with our other "Collector's Edition" releases) but the studio asked to go with the original theatrical poster artwork on these films instead. As much as this decision disappoints, we respect it and are still pleased that the original art will still be represented, but this time front and center. We hope you will be too.

For those curious, a slipcase will still be on the releases like our other Collector's Editions. Be on the lookout soon for the finalized specs and artwork within the next couple of months. Street date is 9/24. Thanks for understanding."
That's fine with me. Most of the commissioned artwork so far hasn't been setting my world on fire anyway. I actually wish that this is what they would have done from the start.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 06-13-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Mikey Horror is online now   Reply With Quote