Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #2926
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I've never seen any version of Lizard in a Woman's Skin, so I was kind of looking forward to checking this version out. bummer...
Honestly, this would not be the version of LIZARD to check out -- it'd be both cropped and censored.

The best version to date is Optimum's UK edition:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20

It's a complete, uncut print, sourced from European elements by StudioCanal. However, it's barebones. There also exists two distinct releases from Media Blasters under their Shriek Show label, both with their own set of supplements. Their first release contained two prints -- a new transfer from a censored 35mm print in MGM's vaults, and a cropped fullframe tape master of the international print. Their second disc contained a "restored" edit, piecing together a few different masters, but was still missing a few shots that turn up in the more cohesive import.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #2927
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
Honestly, this would not be the version of LIZARD to check out -- it'd be both cropped and censored.

The best version to date is Optimum's UK edition:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20

It's a complete, uncut print, sourced from European elements by StudioCanal. However, it's barebones. There also exists two distinct releases from Media Blasters under their Shriek Show label, both with their own set of supplements. Their first release contained two prints -- a new transfer from a censored 35mm print in MGM's vaults, and a cropped fullframe tape master of the international print. Their second disc contained a "restored" edit, piecing together a few different masters, but was still missing a few shots that turn up in the more cohesive import.
i think its all that confusion that's kept me from picking it up in any form. there hasn't been an R1 version that actually presented the film in a complete form. i assume that this optimum version is PAL, and that's kind of a deal breaker for me. its kind of the same issue - its not the way the film is actually supposed to be seen.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:00 AM   #2928
Matt89
HackMaster

There was a guy on the blu-ray.com forums who said the new edition of 'The Fog' was a travesty and virtually unwatchable. Honestly....what a fucking tool. I'm trying to find his post so I can tell him. But man, anyone else think the movie looked fucking fantastic? I watched the blu-ray today and sure there's a bit of a speckle here and there but I had a hard time finding anything remotely close to what that guy described. People really like to bitch and moan about NOTHING. The colors are vibrant and the blue tint that this new transfer has only adds to the mood and atmosphere of the film.

The only thing I can complain about is haha...the film itself. I hadn't seen it in years and I have to say I certainly don't love it as much as I used to. I found it a little slow and boring. Regardless, it's a solid release. Definitely one of their best so far.

~Matt

Last edited by Matt89; 07-27-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Matt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #2929
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i think its all that confusion that's kept me from picking it up in any form. there hasn't been an R1 version that actually presented the film in a complete form.
If you're only NTSC-capable, the second Shriek Show LIZARD disc is fine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...ag=cinema09-20

The footage missing from it is minimal and nothing of importance.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #2930
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
There was a guy on the blu-ray.com forums who said the new edition of 'The Fog' was a travesty and virtually unwatchable. Honestly....what a fucking tool. I'm trying to find his post so I can tell him. But man, anyone else think the movie looked fucking fantastic? I watched the blu-ray today and sure there's a bit of a speckle here and there but I had a hard time finding anything remotely close to what that guy described. People really like to bitch and moan about NOTHING. The colors are vibrant and the blue tint that this new transfer has only adds to the mood and atmosphere of the film.

The only thing I can complain about is haha...the film itself. I hadn't seen it in years and I have to say I certainly don't love it as much as I used to. I found it a little slow and boring. Regardless, it's a solid release. Definitely one of their best so far.

~Matt
Yeah, the hyperbole is on overdrive over there. One guy wrote a virtual essay, across multiple posts, nitpicking at the various flaws in the transfer across a number of posts and in a few offhand comments said it's probably the best the film has looked on video.

Personally, I can't wait to get mine.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #2931
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
If you're only NTSC-capable, the second Shriek Show LIZARD disc is fine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...ag=cinema09-20

The footage missing from it is minimal and nothing of importance.
i'll probably pick that up at some point. I am region free, both BD and DVD, but I just have a really hard time dealing with PAL speedup. it just kind of ruins the film for me.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #2932
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Yeah, the hyperbole is on overdrive over there. One guy wrote a virtual essay, across multiple posts, nitpicking at the various flaws in the transfer across a number of posts and in a few offhand comments said it's probably the best the film has looked on video.

Personally, I can't wait to get mine.
I just had another post on blu-ray.com get modded. Good grief. I wish another official blu ray.com site existed. Sigh.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #2933
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I just had another post on blu-ray.com get modded. Good grief. I wish another official blu ray.com site existed. Sigh.
Tell me about that... the mods over there are a bunch of Blu-Nazis. I rarely post anything there because of that, and the fact that the forum is just way too cluttered with useless garbage.

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #2934
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Tell me about that... the mods over there are a bunch of Blu-Nazis. I rarely post anything there because of that, and the fact that the forum is just way too cluttered with useless garbage.
There's a clown on there (I refer to him as Buzz Killington) that continuously drones on about how people shouldn't complain about the poor transfers of current blu-ray's because there are starving people in Africa. With every reply to a post, he refers to the original poster as "old chap" or "old man." (very annoying). My response to another member asking why he even bothers going into a particular thread anymore before a moderator removed it was as follows:

"That's correct old chum. Instead of visiting this thread, you could be donating fresh organs to starving arthritic eskimos like Buzz Killington does. Be a good chap and refrain from any complaints regarding the transfers of any Blu-ray because there are starving gophers in Amsterdam who can't afford the luxury."
Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #2935
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

There's definitely some big ass wankers over at the Bluray.com forum. I tend not to go there often because of it.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #2936
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
There's definitely some big ass wankers over at the Bluray.com forum. I tend not to go there often because of it.
I'm sorry to get so far off topic about this everyone, and I promise this will be the last of this in this thread, but it's just so bizarre. The guy has been suspended for getting "too" off course. Either that or he called me a bad name and I didn't see it. Lol. You can't tell us movie lunatics to appreciate what we have because we're lucky to be in a position to have a collection in the first place on a movie forum. CNN, maybe. Bluray.com? Definitely not.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #2937
dave13
HackMaster

Just got around to watching my first of the Sci-fi movie marathon films: Arena. Holy shit, it was terrible. Painfully bad. I could barely stand even having on in the background. Hopefully the other three are at least a little bit of a step up. Even in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #2938
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I thought Arena was a lot of fun.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #2939
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
I thought Arena was a lot of fun.
i'm happy for you, man. i wish i could have enjoyed it. maybe just wasn't in the right mood.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #2940
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Scream's Facebook updates!:

"Wanted to remind you guys of this once again in case you hadn't heard the news last Thurs regarding an important update regarding the upcoming ALL NIGHT HORROR MARATHON release...

We’re really sorry about the following news but, unfortunately, the ALL NIGHT HORROR MARATHON release has been delayed from its original 8/20 date and is being overhauled due to unforeseen legal issues on one of the films in the set - Schizoid (1971) – which now has to be removed.

The new street date is 10/8.

Schizoid is being replaced by the classic Debbie Reynolds 1971 shocker 'What's the Matter with Helen'. The new Amazon link to pre-order (if you ordered from them) is http://www.amazon.com/Scream-Factory...orror+marathon

The Vagrant, The Outing and The Godsend will stay put on the set as originally planned. New artwork as pictured.

ALL NIGHT HORROR MARATHON VOL 2 (The Dungeonmaster, Catacombs, Contamination 7, Cellar Dweller) will still release as planned on 10/29.

We appreciate your understanding and patience. Thank you."

and...

BREAKING: November street date announces plus artwork for EVE OF DESTRUCTION Blu-ray!

Assault on Precinct 13 (Collector's Edition Blu-ray) - 11/5

Night of the Comet (Collector's Edition Blu-ray & DVD combo) - 11/5

John Carpenter's BODY BAGS (Collector's Edition Blu-ray & DVD combo) - 11/12

The Horror Show (Blu-ray & DVD combo) - 11/12

Eve of Destruction (Blu-ray) - 11/19
- Killer android flick from 199l starring Gregory Hines. First time in anamorphic widescreen!

December brings Saturn 3, The Beast Within, Crawlspace, Darkman and TV Terrors double feature on DVD (The Initiation of Sarah and Are you in the House Alone?)."
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote