Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #3421
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
Never seen witchboard and never cared to, as much as I love horror, cant stand tawny kitan.
I know how you feel. I never gave a damn about that film either. If she's not dry humping the hood of a car at any point in the film then it is not worth seeing.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 AM   #3422
ronnie21
HackMaster

oh yeah. that's when she was with that Robert plant looking dude!!
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 AM   #3423
myhorror
Victim

Whitesnake > Led Zeppelin
Old 01-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #3424
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorror View Post
I think that should be in the unpopular opinions thread.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #3425
Ptflea2
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
More like a new thread entitled "SUPER unpopular opinions"
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #3426
Matt89
HackMaster

Lol omg Whitesnake is fucking awful.

~Matt
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #3427
maybrick
HackMaster

God, I cannot stand those Nathan Milliner covers. They really need to find somebody who can do REAL poster art, not just comic book doodling.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #3428
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

If Angela's head was removed from the cover it would look a lot better. These floating heads are getting real old, especially for covers that are meant to be going back to that retro art look. There seems to be a lack of imagination with these which is really disappointing.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #3429
dave13
HackMaster

I feel a bit ungrateful, complaining about the artwork, since they are doing a bang-up job with their releases and packaging, but it's frustrating that they could be doing such a better job. so far they have literally ALL been floating head jobs (I guess the only exception are the Psycho films, which don't really count since they weren't allowed to create new art). Why don't they ask their artists to create artwork that's a little more abstract, a little more conceptual? The first thing that springs to mind is the cool artwork Olive has on their Thinner DVD. it's a bad movie, but that's some interesting artwork. Or look at the hundreds of interesting covers that Criterion has designed. Hell, people have even designed interesting artwork for FAKE Criterion releases.

Commissioning brand-new cover art for iconic films is a wonderful opportunity to do something interesting, but so far they haven't even come close to exploring the full potential. Which, like I said, is very frustrating. Particularly given how much I like the company and their releases.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #3430
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
If Angela's head was removed from the cover it would look a lot better. These floating heads are getting real old, especially for covers that are meant to be going back to that retro art look. There seems to be a lack of imagination with these which is really disappointing.
Nathan Thomas Milliner had posted something on Scream Factory's Facebook page yesterday about the whole floating heads thing. If I remember, I'll see if I can find it and repost it here, later.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #3431
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorror View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptflea2 View Post
I vote for a third thread titled:
"While everyone is entitled to their opinions, some are just fucking wrong!"
I was playing a game with myself the other day. Without having any Whitesnake cds or looking at track lists, name one song not about sex. I couldn't do it. "Here I Go Again" seemed like a winner, but that's just about breaking up with a girl and going looking for new pussy, so it's about sex just as much as "Slide it In".

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #3432
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptflea2 View Post
Yeah, I mean cmon guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
They should have had a floating penis instead
Old 01-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #3433
ArrowBeach
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Nathan Thomas Milliner had posted something on Scream Factory's Facebook page yesterday about the whole floating heads thing. If I remember, I'll see if I can find it and repost it here, later.
Found it, I dont agree with his claim that ENTER THE DRAGON and other classics uses the floating head concept, but to each his own....

Floating heads. I wanted to touch on this as I know it is something that comes up a lot and needed to be touched on even more. In the 1990s the illustrated movie poster started to take a low death and the studios started utilizing photoshopped photographs to sell their films. One common thing was to simply make a dark background and cut and paste a giant head or three of the stars on there, slap on a title and done.

The thing is, the floating head is nothing new in movie poster or book cover design. You can find it used by artists going back probably to the beginning of movie poster design. I just flipped through my Drew Sturzan poster book (arguably the best movie poster artists of all-time) and about a third of the posters in the book all featured the dreaded floating heads. I flipped through a book I have on movie posters of the 1970s and noticed that about 20 of them had floating heads on them. Some as well known as Chinatown, Godfather, The Long Goodbye, The Driver, Death Race 2000, The Conversation, The Towering Inferno, Enter the Dragon, Apocalypse Now and Star Trek the movie...just to name a few.

In The Mist, Frank Darabont took a shot at the floating heads of today but he was talking about the photoshopping of photographed heads with nothing else and no artwork done. Something thrown together in an hour, if that. Some of the titles mentioned from the 1970s posters were also photos and not illustrations. Its nothing new. But if the poster had much more than just two heads and is actually illustrated, then its pretty much just a part of the history of poster design.

In terms of the dvds and blu ray covers. What one has to consider is this: the area that a movie poster has is not the same as a blu ray cover. A movie poster one sheet is 40X27 which allows a lot of space for people to see anything on a poster. On a blu ray, you have about 5X5 inches and it will sit on a shelf along with hundreds of other 5X5 images. If your cover has small, full figure people they will get lost on that shelf and because of the size it is hard to see or appreciate that kind of image without picking it up and studying it. In blu ray art, there needs to be an immediate eye catcher and nothing works better than...A BIG FACE. Something that stands out and pops off that shelf. Your job is the sell the film and grab attention. This is why the floating head is used. It is also used to celebrate the cast. When a lot of the titles Scream puts out were released, the casts were unknown and they were selling the product, not the characters and cast members. Now that most of these films have 30 years or more of life and fandom, now people know and love and want to see the characters on the cover more than before. Its a release for collectors.

I am not writing any of this in defense of anything it is just something I noticed mentioned often and wanted to share some thoughts on the subject. I understand the issues as I myself dislike the floating head photoshopped photo trend as well but when an artist spent hours illustrating it and there is a story within the art and not just a bunch of faces looking at you then I feel it works. Just my point of view. Thank you for reading.
ArrowBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #3434
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
They should have had a floating penis instead
Instead of the camper's abdomen floating in the sky, it should be a close up of the cook undoing his belt.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #3435
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowBeach View Post
In blu ray art, there needs to be an immediate eye catcher and nothing works better than...A BIG FACE. Something that stands out and pops off that shelf. Your job is the sell the film and grab attention.
I think this is really what it boils down to. Big heads help sell films to people who aren't already familiar with them. I kind of figured that was the case. I would imagine the directions from Scream Factory to the artist probably requires the presence of at least one star portrait. Nothing inherently wrong with that. If it helps them sell product, stay in business, and ultimately offer me more great films, then more power to them, I suppose. Unfortunately though, it means these floating heads aren't going anywhere.