Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 AM   #3466
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
What's even stupider is having the tagline "Six Men.." when there are only five floating heads prominently displayed. And ONE of them is a woman!
The sixth man wasn't a big enough star to make the cover.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #3467
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
The sixth man wasn't a big enough star to make the cover.
Well then I'm truly afraid to ask about the fifth one then.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #3468
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
I don't understand using the heads for marketing purposes. It's not like we're talking marquee level stars here. The only people that are going to recognize the faces on these heads are those who are already genre fans, have more than likely seen these movies and therefore already know if they like it enough to purchase it or not. I can see if Brad Pitt or George Clooney are in your movie, but who the hell outside of genre fans are going to recognize Felissa Rose?! I don't blame Nathan at all, I blame Scream Factory because you know they're the ones telling him he has to do it. Faces sell A list Hollywood movies, not mid-shelf video store horror movies.
Amen. You hit the nail on the head, it makes absolutely no sense when the actor isn't a big name star.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:55 AM   #3469
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Look, Scream Factory is doing great work and I appreciate the hell out of them for bringing all of this shit to hi-def, but come on. When you walked through the horror section of the video store years ago did you see heads all over the VHS boxes in the horror section? No, you saw kick ass artwork because with titles like these they were selling the idea of the movie, not the actors in it. I still think the original poster art should be the slipcover and let the "newly commissioned artwork" be the reverse.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #3470
dave13
HackMaster

I think you guys are reading too much into it. I don't think that they care if the faces are recognizable or not. i'm thinking that all they care about is that there is ANY face on the cover. Maybe these hypothetical shoppers see a face and assume it's someone famous they don't know, which - obviously! - must mean the movie is worth looking at. Maybe it gets them to pick it up just to SEE if it's someone they recognize. and then they have it in their hand, and the cover has done its job.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:21 AM   #3471
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Look, Scream Factory is doing great work and I appreciate the hell out of them for bringing all of this shit to hi-def, but come on. When you walked through the horror section of the video store years ago did you see heads all over the VHS boxes in the horror section? No, you saw kick ass artwork because with titles like these they were selling the idea of the movie, not the actors in it. I still think the original poster art should be the slipcover and let the "newly commissioned artwork" be the reverse.
I totally agree. This new artwork is lacking in comparison to those old VHS tapes. The whole floating heads thong has to go. Like you say thought, at least they're bringing these films to hi-def.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 AM   #3472
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I think you guys are reading too much into it. I don't think that they care if the faces are recognizable or not. i'm thinking that all they care about is that there is ANY face on the cover. Maybe these hypothetical shoppers see a face and assume it's someone famous they don't know, which - obviously! - must mean the movie is worth looking at. Maybe it gets them to pick it up just to SEE if it's someone they recognize. and then they have it in their hand, and the cover has done its job.
The thing is, an interesting cover should do that regardless. I don't buy that angle at all.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 AM   #3473
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I'm just glad that the covers are all we have to piss-and-moan about.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #3474
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Maybe it gets them to pick it up just to SEE if it's someone they recognize. and then they have it in their hand, and the cover has done its job.
Pick it up? Wait, do you guys actually see these in stores!? In real life? What's that like? I haven't seen a single Scream Factory title in a honest to God brick and mortar store. Ever. I've ordered them all online. And let's be honest here, they know exactly who they're marketing these titles to. I doubt the casual movie fan perusing whatever mythical store there may be actually selling these on a real wooden shelf is going to pick up a movie called Sleepaway Camp on a whim just because there's a face on the cover.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 01-28-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Mikey Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 AM   #3475
X-human
I ate my keys

I can't count the number of times I've picked up a DVD or Blu-ray only to have to put it back disappointed that the heads on the cover weren't big enough.

I really can't.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 AM   #3476
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Yes yes, the heads are lame, that's old hat. At this point I just hope there's a serious PQ improvement from the last Dog Soldiers Blu. I dislike when a company releases something on Blu that's already been done by someone else when they could be spending their time on something completely new!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #3477
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

What has me worried is that they were asked quite a few times on Facebook if this would be a new transfer and they've avoided the question like the plague and in this business, we all know what that means.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:33 AM   #3478
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
The thing is, an interesting cover should do that regardless. I don't buy that angle at all.
If they really were designing these covers solely for fans (like you and I), then what possible reason could they have for consistently ignoring all the fans who complain about the omnipresence of floating heads in their artwork? Whether you buy it or not, the fact remains that in this case (and thankfully, this case alone) they are pretty much completely ignoring us. If you can think of any other reason why they would be doing this, I'd love to hear it. But it seems pretty clear to me that they are ignoring us because this marketing decision is not made with you and me in mind.

Quote:
Pick it up? Wait, do you guys actually see these in stores!? In real life? What's that like? I haven't seen a single Scream Factory title in a honest to God brick and mortar store. Ever. I've ordered them all online. And let's be honest here, they know exactly who they're marketing these titles to. I doubt the casual movie fan perusing whatever mythical store there may be actually selling these on a real wooden shelf is going to pick up a movie called Sleepaway Camp on a whim just because there's a face on the cover.
Walmart used to have them all the time, although not anymore. And HMV and Best Buy still carry them. Those are all pretty "average joe" places to shop. But that's beside the point. I'm not saying that I believe it's effective. I don't really expect that it is. But I wouldn't be surprised if a team of marketing people somewhere thinks it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
I'm just glad that the covers are all we have to piss-and-moan about.
absolutely. i more-or-less said the same thing myself a few posts ago.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #3479
chancetx
Stalker

Quote:
and Best Buy still carry them.
Really? Maybe it's a Canadian thing. I haven't seen any Scream Factory titles in Best Buy in quite a while - probably since the "Halloween" releases a couple years ago. All the Best Buys in my area have drastically cut shelf space for movies and music. Their "horror" section is a joke.

Barnes and Noble is the only chain store I've seen carrying these. Target did get the 2 "Halloween" releases and maybe "The Funhouse" or "Terror Train" from around the same time but only on DVD and they haven't stocked any titles since.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #3480
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
If they really were designing these covers solely for fans (like you and I), then what possible reason could they have for consistently ignoring all the fans who complain about the omnipresence of floating heads in their artwork? Whether you buy it or not, the fact remains that in this case (and thankfully, this case alone) they are pretty much completely ignoring us. If you can think of any other reason why they would be doing this, I'd love to hear it. But it seems pretty clear to me that they are ignoring us because this marketing decision is not made with you and me in mind.
I still fail to see the point of it all if at actor isn't recognizable. Maybe it helps sell films with famous faces but alot of the faces on these covers aren't recognizable actors to the average Joe. I don't think they dell any less of these if they changed their tune about the cover thing.