Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #3481
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Do people really buy movies because of some actor that's on the cover? Now THAT's what I call blind-buying! Chances are if you haven't seen a film you're not going to buy it because of who is on the cover. Joe Sixpack at Walmart: "Honey, do we have an extra $20we don't need? I spotted a DVD over there with Engelbert Humperdinck on the cover. It's a no-budget 70's musical but it's OK - it's Engelbert Humperdinck!". We can fill our gas tank next week.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #3482
maybrick
HackMaster

The only place that I've ever seen Scream Factory blu rays was at HMV in Montreal. I've seen Halloween II and III at Target but only on DVD. I usually visualize the people that are attracted to the floating heads as middle aged house wives, but that probably a touch sexist (although probably not far from the truth). Either way, they're not the type of customer that'd be interested in this product to begin with.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #3483
Ptflea2
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
Pick it up? Wait, do you guys actually see these in stores!? In real life? What's that like? I haven't seen a single Scream Factory title in a honest to God brick and mortar store. Ever. I've ordered them all online. And let's be honest here, they know exactly who they're marketing these titles to. I doubt the casual movie fan perusing whatever mythical store there may be actually selling these on a real wooden shelf is going to pick up a movie called Sleepaway Camp on a whim just because there's a face on the cover.
I've seen every single Scream Factory release at Movie Stop. However, Movie Stop's are only located in the South East up to Virginia I think.
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #3484
zombiehorror
Victim

Saw a bunch of the Scream Factory dvd releases at VStock today most of them weren't any lower priced than normal...especially for being used....but I did pick up Day of the Dead (minus slipcover) for $11.99! Comparing the transfer to the old Anchor Bay Divimax makes me glad I picked it up...you also get the original audio that was screwed up on Anchor Bay's and Arrow's releases!
zombiehorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #3485
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
I still fail to see the point of it all if at actor isn't recognizable. Maybe it helps sell films with famous faces but alot of the faces on these covers aren't recognizable actors to the average Joe. I don't think they dell any less of these if they changed their tune about the cover thing.
You're thinking too far ahead. The face is not to get the person to buy the disc. It's just to attract the person's attention. That's it. It doesn't have to be a face of someone they recognize, or of someone famous, or even of someone that's in the freakin movie at all! it just has to be a face. the person's quickly scanning the rack of discs for sale, contemplating buying something, anything, but not sure what. they pick up a few, but most of them they leave sitting there. so what makes them pick up one disc, but leave the other alone? whether or not the cover catches their quickly-scanning eye. And as human beings, we spend a huge amount of time looking at the faces of other human beings. It's something we're hardwired to recognize and respond to. So it's only natural to think that putting a face on the cover of a disc is a good way to get the person to pick it up.

Everybody seems to think this is a big joke, har-har-har, the idea that somebody might buy a dvd just because it has any kind of face on it. but that's not it at all. its not the face that gets you to buy it. its the face that gets you to notice it at all, on the shelf, surrounded by hundreds of other titles vying for your attention. then, once you've noticed it, maybe you'll pick it up. if you pick it up, maybe you'll read the back. if you like what's on the back, maybe you'll buy it. but none of that would have happened if you hadn't noticed it in the first place - hence the floating faces.

please don't misconstrue this as some kind of defense of the artistic style on my part - i dislike it as much as everyone else. but seriously, if anybody can think of any other reason why they would keep doing this, despite the fact that everybody who follows these things complains about it, then please, tell me.

Last edited by dave13; 01-29-2014 at 01:18 AM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 AM   #3486
MisterTwister
HackMaster

The original VHS art for Sleepaway Camp made me want to rent it and watch it.

This new Scream Factory art does not evoke the same feeling from me.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 AM   #3487
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Yeah, but you at least have to give them credit for including the original art, although it would be amazing if the original art was the slipcover.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #3488
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
You're thinking too far ahead. The face is not to get the person to buy the disc. It's just to attract the person's attention. That's it. It doesn't have to be a face of someone they recognize, or of someone famous, or even of someone that's in the freakin movie at all! it just has to be a face. the person's quickly scanning the rack of discs for sale, contemplating buying something, anything, but not sure what. they pick up a few, but most of them they leave sitting there. so what makes them pick up one disc, but leave the other alone? whether or not the cover catches their quickly-scanning eye. And as human beings, we spend a huge amount of time looking at the faces of other human beings. It's something we're hardwired to recognize and respond to. So it's only natural to think that putting a face on the cover of a disc is a good way to get the person to pick it up.

Everybody seems to think this is a big joke, har-har-har, the idea that somebody might buy a dvd just because it has any kind of face on it. but that's not it at all. its not the face that gets you to buy it. its the face that gets you to notice it at all, on the shelf, surrounded by hundreds of other titles vying for your attention. then, once you've noticed it, maybe you'll pick it up. if you pick it up, maybe you'll read the back. if you like what's on the back, maybe you'll buy it. but none of that would have happened if you hadn't noticed it in the first place - hence the floating faces.

please don't misconstrue this as some kind of defense of the artistic style on my part - i dislike it as much as everyone else. but seriously, if anybody can think of any other reason why they would keep doing this, despite the fact that everybody who follows these things complains about it, then please, tell me.
It still makes zero sense because there is an overabundance of faces on covers these days so it's not really standing out as much as blending in with all the others. Still dumb.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:55 AM   #3489
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
Yeah, but you at least have to give them credit for including the original art, although it would be amazing if the original art was the slipcover.
Agreed on both counts.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 AM   #3490
zombiehorror
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
It still makes zero sense because there is an overabundance of faces on covers these days so it's not really standing out as much as blending in with all the others. Still dumb.
I know your comment is meant as an overall, not just Shout's covers but Nathan recently posted a pic of all his Scream Factory covers on FB and asked, "Which is your favorite?". I looked at all the covers and couldn't help but think that all together like that they're pretty lackluster; maybe at best 2 or 3 stand out. There is definitely such a thing as too much, too soon!
zombiehorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #3491
spawningblue
Deadite

Yeah I think in the US it's hard to find Shout/ Scream titles in store, but here in Canada they are pretty much everywhere. HMV and Cinema One carry all of them, while Best Buy, Futureshop, and Walmart have them occasionally. I don't know why stores in the US don't jump on the bandwagon as genre horror titles are hot right now. A new distributor just took over these titles in Canada, along with Criterion and possibly Troma, so I wonder if they will be more readily available, or less?

As for the faces, I doubt the faces help attract or sell THESE type of movies. These type of movies are for movie fans who don't buy into that bull. The faces are for, like already mentioned, Drew Barrymore or Brad Pitt films. I think Shout/ Scream's marketing team is about 10 years behind times, or looking at the big studios stats instead of the smaller studios that they should be looking at. Personally I think Shout/ SCream look at old stats a little too much. It's stopped them from releasing a lot of great flicks that would probably sell like gangbusters these days. I doubt it's Nathan's fault though. I think he's a great artist and I actually like the Dog Soldiers cover, and most of his art to be honest (Although I wasn't a fan of Sleepaway Camp).

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 01-29-2014 at 07:59 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #3492
Matt89
HackMaster

Where's Movie Stop? Is it a Hamilton thing? The places I've been able to find Scream Factory titles in Toronto are HMV, Sunrise, Bay Street Video (also the BEST place to buy Criterions), and Suspect Video which specializes in cult/horror cinema.

~Matt
Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #3493
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I probably mentioned this already, but F.Y.E. in the US usually has them. One of the stores I was at had them prominently displayed on the wall above their blu-ray section.

Full SRP though, so you're better off ordering online.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #3494
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Full SRP though, so you're better off ordering online.
It's the same with most stores in Canada. I haven't bought anything in store since They Live, which I got at Walmart. It's just better to pre-order on amazon.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #3495
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Where's Movie Stop? Is it a Hamilton thing? The places I've been able to find Scream Factory titles in Toronto are HMV, Sunrise, Bay Street Video (also the BEST place to buy Criterions), and Suspect Video which specializes in cult/horror cinema.

~Matt
Sorry I edited that, meant to write Cinema One.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote