Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #3556
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Not sure whether to get The Final Terror or not. Seems a lot here don't think its great.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #3557
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Not sure whether to get The Final Terror or not. Seems a lot here don't think its great.
you can watch it on youtube first
Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #3558
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Well, I like it for its atmosphere. And there are some effective scenes where the kills should be. Plus it's a classic from the golden age with Rachel Ward, Adrian Zmed and Daryl Hannah. Depends where you draw the line in your collection.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #3559
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Well, I like it for its atmosphere. And there are some effective scenes where the kills should be. Plus it's a classic from the golden age with Rachel Ward, Adrian Zmed and Daryl Hannah. Depends where you draw the line in your collection.
It sounds like it's at least worth a watch. Sometimes I'm a sucker for atmospheric movies so I might even like it. I think I'll check it out on YouTube like Thing suggested.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #3560
thing
Maniac

Night before dawn is a top 25 slasher for sure
Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #3561
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thanks. I'll check it out on YouTube before I buy.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #3562
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Another 4-Pack DVD set is coming (all MGM licensed) on 4/22:

Movies 4 You: Film Noir / Thriller

EXPOSED - Screen beauty Nastassja Kinski toplines a moody drama about a young model stalked by both a sinister violinst and a terrorist. Featuring Rudolf Nureyev, Harvey Keitel, and Ian McShane. 1983

THE VISITORS - James Woods stars in this tense drama about a Vietnam veteran whose past - in the form of two fellow ex-soldiers - comes back to haunt him. 1972

THE HOT SPOT - Don Johnson, Jennifer Connelly and Virginia Madsen star in a steamy thriller about a drifter caught between two women in a small Texas town. 1990

TOUGH GUYS DON'T DANCE - Acclaimed author Norman Mailer writes and directs this modern noir about a troubled writer ensnared in a web of murder and intrigue. Starring Ryan O'Neal and Isabella Rossellini. 1987

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #3563
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I liked EXPOSED.

I was surprised at how much I liked THE FINAL TERROR. It's a bit like "Deliverance" and "Just Before Dawn" combined. Good cast, too.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #3564
gobad2003
Stalker

FINAL TERROR!! Holy shit, I just creamed my pants Day one purchase for sure! 2014 is shaping up to be another great year for horror fans
gobad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #3565
Angelman
HackMaster

I'm surprised by the lukewarm reaction to THE FINAL TERROR, it's one of the few movies from the 80s that feels like it should have been from the 70s (in the good way). The end sequence always worked for me.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #3566
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman View Post
I'm surprised by the lukewarm reaction to THE FINAL TERROR, it's one of the few movies from the 80s that feels like it should have been from the 70s (in the good way). The end sequence always worked for me.
The end sequence is the best part but really its pretty bad. Just Before Dawn is a similar film and MUCH better and it feels like a 70's film in a great way, its like a Deliverance slasher. Final Terror is too amateurish for its own good (however I would still be curious to see it with a good transfer because it was terrible quality when I saw it).
Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #3567
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

FINAL TERROR is the best Shout announcement ever. I'm a little bummed that there's no original negative to work from but they did say there's a nice print available. Trouble is, some of these release prints may have been cut up. Nevertheless, we're finally going to be able to see this film a few steps up in quality than piss-poor VHS and bootlegs. Can't wait to see what extras they come up with.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #3568
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
FINAL TERROR is the best Shout announcement ever. I'm a little bummed that there's no original negative to work from but they did say there's a nice print available. Trouble is, some of these release prints may have been cut up. Nevertheless, we're finally going to be able to see this film a few steps up in quality than piss-poor VHS and bootlegs. Can't wait to see what extras they come up with.
Hmm I have not re-read the release but I assumed that there was no original negative for the extended cut.. pretty bad if there isnt one period.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #3569
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Hmm I have not re-read the release but I assumed that there was no original negative for the extended cut.. pretty bad if there isnt one period.
All the more reason we need this blu-ray release. It's digital film preservation.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #3570
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman View Post
Yeah, the ending is great. And even in the horrible vhs bootleg that I saw, there was still a really strong atmosphere that came through (more so than Just Before Dawn, IMO). But I really don't remember much at all about the first 75% of the film. I'm interested in the release, though. I've passed on more than a few of the recent Scream Factory releases, but I think I'll be buying this one. Especially if they add a few nice supplements.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote