Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #3691
dave13
HackMaster

i was inches away from pulling the trigger on the motel hell/deranged mgm double feature a few nights back. less than $10 used on amazon. glad i held off!
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #3692
X-human
I ate my keys

I'm down for Legend of Hell House, certainly.

I didn't listen in, but it sounds like the Vincent Price set did very well, (I was wondering, 'cause the price dropped like a rock early on. That's either a good thing or a bad thing) so they're at the preliminary stages of a followup set. I don't expect to get it by Fall '14 but it's awesome to hear that it's on its way.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #3693
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Barker
The other movie of mine that Shout is preparing a definitive new edition of (I've just seen the art-work for theDVD.It's superb ) is indeed LORD OF ILLUSIONS,as many of you have already guessed.The edition will have both cuts of the film,interviews,analysis,a profile of D'Amour traced through all his literary and cinematic journeys and Nix knows what else...It's going to be a whole new vision of D'Amour's world,all the way up to,and including ,THE SCARLET GOSPELS.My love to you all, Clive Barker
https://www.facebook.com/officialcli...l_comments=103

Not yet confirmed by Scream Factory.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:10 AM   #3694
Nailwraps
HackMaster

On the contrary, it has on Facebook:

""**SURPRISE TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT!**

1995's LORD OF ILLUSIONS will be coming to Blu-ray for the first time later this Fall as a Collector's Edition. The cat was let out of the bag from it's Director himself -- the legendary Clive Barker - today on his Facebook page.

We have no other details to report ay this time but we know a lot of you are excited about the news. More info will become more clearer in the Summer when we begin to work on the title."
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 AM   #3695
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Love Barker's work but for some reason I've never been a fan of that one.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #3696
The Tall Man
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
On the contrary, it has on Facebook:

""**SURPRISE TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT!**

1995's LORD OF ILLUSIONS will be coming to Blu-ray for the first time later this Fall as a Collector's Edition. The cat was let out of the bag from it's Director himself -- the legendary Clive Barker - today on his Facebook page.

We have no other details to report ay this time but we know a lot of you are excited about the news. More info will become more clearer in the Summer when we begin to work on the title."
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Illusio...d+of+illusions

It's on bluray before scream factory will release it. Not exactly accurate when they say "bluray for the first time", unless they mean in the United States.

The bluray rip was released a few hours ago, Lord.of.Illusions.1995.iNTERNAL.BDRip.x264-ARCHiViST, so this means the retail can't be far away.
The Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:07 AM   #3697
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tall Man View Post
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Illusio...d+of+illusions

It's on bluray before scream factory will release it. Not exactly accurate when they say "bluray for the first time", unless they mean in the United States.
I don't think it's actually been released on Blu-ray anywhere yet, so it would seem accurate.

I had it on pre-order, but just cancelled it. I'm sure the Shout version will be superior if it's getting a full Collector's Edition.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #3698
foller
Stalker

The new UK Blu only contains the theatrical version. The Diretor's Cut is only on the DVD! So there is hope that Shout will release the DC.
foller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #3699
Nailwraps
HackMaster

L.A. Law Season 1 review:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/62689/la-law-season-one/
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #3700
Matt89
HackMaster

I grabbed the Slumber Party Massacre blu-ray today. A store had it out early.

Yes I'd say this has been remastered, because in many scenes (especially the night ones) it looks more film-like (the grain on the DVD looks harsh) and grain and skin tones look more accurate this time around. The DVD looks very "red" in comparison. However, like every other print of the movie it seems, the opening credits are an absolute mess. There's print damage fucking everywhere. It's actually distracting. Some dirt marks actually follow the camera and every time a credit comes onscreen, there's static print damage along with it.

But, this does clean up after the credits and where there is print damage later in the film on the DVD, most of it is gone on the blu-ray. I compared it directly with Shout's DVD and in some spots the print damage is exactly the same (the blu-ray just had a more thorough clean-up job, even though there is still a fair bit of print damage in some places) which makes me wonder if the print damage is just inherent in the OCN.

Grain looks okay, as I didn't notice any noise reduction. It's still not amazingly crisp but I think the film's low budget is more the reason for this than the transfer. It's also not as dark as the DVD, giving the night scenes more visible detail. The film also seems to be ever-so-slightly cropped on the right and left sides, but it's nothing major (not like Friday the 13th). Is it worth the upgrade? Yes I'd say so. Could they have done a better job cleaning it up? Certainly.

Oh and one last thing I noticed. On the DVD, the opening title looks like this:

The opening title on the blu-ray has the same font as on the case, just all in red. Thought I'd might as well mention that. It stood out for me.

Oh, and this disc is most definitely region-A "locked". I tested it.

~Matt
Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #3701
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
However, like every other print of the movie it seems, the opening credits are an absolute mess. There's print damage fucking everywhere. It's actually distracting. Some dirt marks actually follow the camera and every time a credit comes onscreen, there's static print damage along with it.
But, this does clean up after the credits...
Keep in mind that back then credits were actually optically printed, requiring multiple layers of film photographed to a new one, meaning not only is the image quality degraded by duping and multiple grain levels compiled, but any dirt, damage or other artifacts are actually printed onto the film. Unless a studio has the original elements used to make the titles and can digitally scan and composite them, credits will usually look much worse than the feature.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #3702
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
Keep in mind that back then credits were actually optically printed, requiring multiple layers of film photographed to a new one, meaning not only is the image quality degraded by duping and multiple grain levels compiled, but any dirt, damage or other artifacts are actually printed onto the film. Unless a studio has the original elements used to make the titles and can digitally scan and composite them, credits will usually look much worse than the feature.
Yeah I'm definitely aware of that but these opening credits are especially harsh.

~Matt
Old 02-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #3703
Grim
HackMaster

I'm all over Lord of Illusions. Motel Hell I was never a big fan of. My dad recommended it to me and I got the old MGM double feature with Deranged and while Deranged got plenty of replay, Motel Hell didn't. Wasn't bad, just kinda unremarkable IMO. I've actually never seen Legend of Hell House.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #3704
ronnie21
HackMaster

awesome matt, you know I would love to compare the new bluray to a print the theaters showed on opening weekend and see which is better. I know like a time machine type thing.. On the dvd the grain is really heavy in the scene where russ is walking through the locker room following brinke stevens, that grain actually overpowered the image..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #3705
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Speaking of Slumber Party Massacre, I drove past the house the other day. Always wanted to see it in person.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote