Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #706
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
Shout Factory has asked for the info not to spread. This is the company that has been kind enough to release (or re-release) gems like this on DVD. Do you really want to piss them off?

No, you don't.
Some of you are lucky enough to have this cool bit of knowledge. Kudos to you. It would be nice if you (and others) wouldn't get so touchy when people gently pry for a little of what you know. This is a pretty interesting story so try to be more patient and understanding.

Shout Factory didn't release these films because they like us. They are a company that plans on making money. Whether we piss them off has no bearing on future releases. Most of us paid money for our copy of SPM so we aren't indebted to Shout either. That said, I respect your decision to keep quite and would do the same. But I'd love to hear what the story is and desperately hope someone spills the beans.

Last edited by crikan; 11-16-2010 at 02:48 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #707
dave13
HackMaster

I understand why those keeping their mouths shut have done so. i've been asked to sit on things before too. But I don't think anyone's been out of line in trying to get to the bottom of the story. I mean look at all the venom directed at code red on these boards. we haven't seen anything even remotely close to that. It's just people who know that a secrets being kept, and they want in on it. Until people start calling the men and women behind Shout! Factory nasty names, I think people are within the bounds of decent conduct.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #708
springjack
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I understand why those keeping their mouths shut have done so. i've been asked to sit on things before too. But I don't think anyone's been out of line in trying to get to the bottom of the story. I mean look at all the venom directed at code red on these boards. we haven't seen anything even remotely close to that. It's just people who know that a secrets being kept, and they want in on it. Until people start calling the men and women behind Shout! Factory nasty names, I think people are within the bounds of decent conduct.
Point rightly taken.
________
Pregnant shemale

Last edited by springjack; 03-20-2011 at 10:53 PM.
springjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #709
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

Hopefully this will clear up some air on the commentary issue. While it's still vague as the person that told me (not a member here) asked me not to air it out, and it's not my place anyway, I think this gives some more info other than there were "issues and circumstances beyond out control", which is all Shout! is willing to say.

The story behind the commentaries is basically just the same old Hollywood bullshit you've heard about on film sets. Old grudges and bad blood are the main reasons. Even if that hurdle had been overcome, this would have been ultimately recalled/edited as somehow a release wasn't signed by one of the people that has been edited out, so the original batch of discs probably shouldn't have even been pressed. I'm guessing that little legal snafu slipped between the cracks and was realized a bit too late after the first batch of discs had gone into production.

And that's really all I fell okay saying without being given the okay. I don't think this paints anyone involved in a bad light, but it gives some idea as to why it had to be done.

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #710
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I understand why those keeping their mouths shut have done so. i've been asked to sit on things before too.
As I also understand. It happens often that I got some inside also because of my good relations with some dvd label owner, but I never reveal anything unless I got the ok to do so. It's just a question of credibility and trust, those relations are important and loosing a friend because you want to wrote an exclusivity on your blog (or a forum in this case) doesn't worth it.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #711
dickieduvet
Maniac

What's the point of talking about it if no one's gonna spill the beans, With every extra post on the topic dangling the carrott longer. Let's just keep on topic in relation to SF's releases, Seems the sensible thing to do or YOU COULD JUST ******' TELL US
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #712
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieduvet View Post
What's the point of talking about it if no one's gonna spill the beans, With every extra post on the topic dangling the carrott longer. Let's just keep on topic in relation to SF's releases, Seems the sensible thing to do or YOU COULD JUST ******' TELL US
so much for subtlety
Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #713
crikan
HackMaster

What I find most disappointing about this is that no one outside this forum is talking about it. I’ve been regularly googling this issue since it arose and have found less than a handful of mentions. SPM is “the slasher” from my youth and looking at forums over the past couple of years its clearly recognized by most fans of the genre. So why is it that only a dozen people have mentioned that the commentaries are chopped to pieces? I know one explanation might be that very few people actually listen to commentaries. But I’m starting to get the feeling that SPM might not be as popular as I always believed and maybe sales are far from impressive. bummer
Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #714
springjack
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
What I find most disappointing about this is that no one outside this forum is talking about it. I?ve been regularly googling this issue since it arose and have found less than a handful of mentions. SPM is ?the slasher? from my youth and looking at forums over the past couple of years its clearly recognized by most fans of the genre. So why is it that only a dozen people have mentioned that the commentaries are chopped to pieces? I know one explanation might be that very few people actually listen to commentaries. But I?m starting to get the feeling that SPM might not be as popular as I always believed and maybe sales are far from impressive. bummer
Like you said, maybe few people actually listen to commentaries.

Also, I think this title is still very obscure to many people.
I also grew up in the era of slasher and have seen a bunch but don?t forget that when many people hear about slashers only the mainstream ones are mentioned.
________
Bmw 7 series

Last edited by springjack; 03-20-2011 at 10:54 PM.
springjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #715
hotbodynick
Victim

All I can even begin to guess at is that with the budget being so low, and the popularity of the title upon its video release, it's probably a pay dispute. That helps me sleep better at night thinking it has to do with money so I can lay it to rest.

I bought a 2nd copy through Shout! Factory's website to get the uncut commentary, having never even seen the sequel. That being said, SPM part Deux was so horrible, I seriously doubt I will ever even listen to the commentary. The movie made me want to gouge my eyes out with a hot poker. I'd rather have hooks stuck through my manboobs and hung from jungle trees by natives than sit through it again.

I think most people could agree, the movie hits a low point in one particular scene involving music... I don't want to give it away, but I was ready to take the disc out and break it.
hotbodynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #716
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

Not of This Earth review: http://infini-tropolis.com/reviews/s...ts-7.html#note

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbodynick View Post
That being said, SPM part Deux was so horrible, I seriously doubt I will ever even listen to the commentary. The movie made me want to gouge my eyes out with a hot poker. I'd rather have hooks stuck through my manboobs and hung from jungle trees by natives than sit through it again.

I think most people could agree, the movie hits a low point in one particular scene involving music... I don't want to give it away, but I was ready to take the disc out and break it.
Nope, couldn't disagree more. You need a sense of humor, my man. SPM2 >>> SPM1 in every way

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #717
Mr. Eddy
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbodynick View Post
All I can even begin to guess at is that with the budget being so low, and the popularity of the title upon its video release, it's probably a pay dispute. That helps me sleep better at night thinking it has to do with money so I can lay it to rest.

I bought a 2nd copy through Shout! Factory's website to get the uncut commentary, having never even seen the sequel. That being said, SPM part Deux was so horrible, I seriously doubt I will ever even listen to the commentary. The movie made me want to gouge my eyes out with a hot poker. I'd rather have hooks stuck through my manboobs and hung from jungle trees by natives than sit through it again.

Yeah SPM 2 isn't a "good" movie, yet I really like it. Cheesy as hell the way I like 'em and I happen to be quite a Juliette Cummins fan!
Mr. Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #718
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Eddy View Post
Yeah SPM 2 isn't a "good" movie, yet I really like it. Cheesy as hell the way I like 'em and I happen to be quite a Juliette Cummins fan!
Definitely. Yeah it's a goofy movie, but it's been one of my favorites since first seeing it in the late-80's. The old VHS of mine used to get a lot of repeat viewings.

I love the atmosphere of the film, the 80's soundtrack, the characters, the driller killer's one-liners, etc..

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #719
Mr. Eddy
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Definitely. Yeah it's a goofy movie, but it's been one of my favorites since first seeing it in the late-80's. The old VHS of mine used to get a lot of repeat viewings.

I love the atmosphere of the film, the 80's soundtrack, the characters, the driller killer's one-liners, etc..
Agreed 100%. Love the killer's one liners and 50's rockabilly look. I guess being a child of the 80's helps me appreciate it more.
Mr. Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #720
Nailwraps
HackMaster

http://www.shocktilyoudrop.com/news/...s.php?id=17244
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote