Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #721
hotbodynick
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Definitely. Yeah it's a goofy movie, but it's been one of my favorites since first seeing it in the late-80's. The old VHS of mine used to get a lot of repeat viewings.

I love the atmosphere of the film, the 80's soundtrack, the characters, the driller killer's one-liners, etc..

OK, I'm sorry, now I feel bad. I know I have my share of guilty pleasures that other people would find unwatchable (i.e. "The Lonely Lady" starring one Ms. Pia Zadora!). I think I was just mad that I spent around $40 to buy it twice expecting a lot more. The 1 nude scene was awful too -- awkward!! So if I had to say something nice about it, Crystal Bernard looked good with her acid washed jeans pulled up almost to her chest.
hotbodynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #722
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Like you said, maybe few people actually listen to commentaries.

Also, I think this title is still very obscure to many people.
I also grew up in the era of slasher and have seen a bunch but donīt forget that when many people hear about slashers only the mainstream ones are mentioned.
There could also be many who listened to the commentary and didn't realize it was cut. Maybe they just got done with a Tim Burton comm. track, then watched SPM2 and think all commentaries have huge gaps of silence.
Shit could really happen!

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #723
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamuiX View Post
Not of This Earth review: http://infini-tropolis.com/reviews/s...ts-7.html#note

Nope, couldn't disagree more. You need a sense of humor, my man. SPM2 >>> SPM1 in every way
And I disagree. It requires more than a sense of humor to appreciate SPM2. Boat loads of nostalgia and a lobotomy for a start. I like the rockabilly killer. He accounts for 5 minutes of something interesting on screen. The criminally boring first half and annoying characters like T.J. make SPM2 a chore. The killing doesn't start until the film is near over and the overall story isn't great either. It might have been saved if they would have gone High Tension with the ending, but instead it just peters out.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #724
walkingdude
Megatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
The criminally boring first half and annoying characters like T.J. make SPM2 a chore. .
Smoke your head!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #725
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

Quote:
And I disagree. It requires more than a sense of humor to appreciate SPM2. Boat loads of nostalgia and a lobotomy for a start. I like the rockabilly killer. He accounts for 5 minutes of something interesting on screen. The criminally boring first half and annoying characters like T.J. make SPM2 a chore. The killing doesn't start until the film is near over and the overall story isn't great either. It might have been saved if they would have gone High Tension with the ending, but instead it just peters out.
There's no nostalgia for me...saw it for the first time with this release and had an absolute blast. It's a masterpiece of ridiculous garbage. It takes a series that (outside of the comedy of the first) was destined to become a recycled ripoff and turns it on its head by doing something completely left of center and unique. We have enough formulaic slashers from the 80s, they're a dime a dozen. More producers should have had the balls to try gonzo shit like this.

To be quite honest, the first half of the original is a MUCH bigger chore to sit through. The last half is a lot of fun, but there isn't one thing in most of that film that I haven't seen a million times before, and done a lot better. If not for the aforementioned comedic elements and the jaw-dropping pizza scene, it honestly would have never stuck with me through the years and been lost to the dumping ground of my brain where I store most of the other shitty slashers that I grew up with and have become a big, jumbled blur.

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero

Last edited by KamuiX; 11-19-2010 at 11:23 PM.
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #726
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

There are some decent prices on these at Deep Discount right now.

I ordered the Slumber Party Massacre collection for $13.10, and Not Of This Earth and The Evil / Twice Dead for $10.96 each.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #727
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
There are some decent prices on these at Deep Discount right now.

I ordered the Slumber Party Massacre collection for $13.10, and Not Of This Earth and The Evil / Twice Dead for $10.96 each.
Almost ordered the SP set, check yours when you get it please (if before sale ends), if it's unedited commentary I'm gonna try and get it too. I somehow doubt DD will have unedited, unless they had the price too high and may still have first runs sitting around the warehouse (probably underneath the new edited ones, only produce and perishables get rotated).

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #728
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
They better release "Sorority House Massacre", "Sorority House Massacre 2" and "Hard To Die" next year...
They were all on YouTube - uncut. First, they had semi-edited versions of SHM2 and Hard to Die up and they got taken down because the scene of Walter Paisley's naked wife ("pitcher of chi-chi's in the hottub") kinda snuck in there anyway. Then, another user put up the uncut versions and had 'em up for about 2 months.

They've been taken down. JUST over the weekend! I'm devastated. I have zero interest in the Slumber Party Massacre movies and the first Sorority House and that's basically all we're ever offered.

Quote:
Quote:
Terribly good...
I like them too, especially the sequel...so cheesy.
Quote:
Sorority House Massacre 2 is one of my favorite slashers. It knows what it is and fulfills the promises made by it's suggestive cover. It's far superior to the dreck that is the named Slumber Party Massacre sequels.
I am a psychotic fan of Sorority House Massacre II and Hard to Die. They were among the first slasher films I saw, I re-watched them about 50 times a piece (my VHS of the Cinemax showings from '94-95 is just about dead). I know them by heart. I can quote them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
I watched Sorority House Massacre 1+2 not too long ago and both were terrible. I thought the first SHM was boring and the second one, although it had some excellent nudity, was idiotic and didn't deliver gore wise.
You canNOT compare Jim Wynorski's Sorority House Massacre II with the first movie. The original film is a lukewarm leftover from the Prom Night days (and, if there could be such a thing, a fairly watered down version of something like The Initiation or Silent Night Deadly Night). Wynorski's films were of a completely different era. The direct-to-VHS cheapies that gave careers to the likes of Fred Olen Ray and David DeCoteau. Those movies probably couldn't afford real FX. They get by on charm alone.

It can't be denied that they're not really gory. But it has a cool kind of style all its' own. I can't think of another film like it. It kind of invented the blood-on-the-wall (instead of squirting from a visible open wound) splatter film. I LOVED that scene of Janey downstairs as a kid. You get the creepy build-up of a typical slasher film and it may not have delivered the pay-off you were looking for, but I really enjoyed the silliness of it. It's still stylish. Kind of like the blood spray in Tenebre. Guess you just have to sit back and enjoy the no-budget style of it all.

You have to admit one thing- Chuck Cirino's scores for both movies (SHM2 and Hard to Die) are amazing! I hum them all the time (drilled into my psyche). I'll admit they're not really made for serious slasher fans but aesthetically (and no, I'm not talking about the nudity), they're very attractive. Lots of darkness, creepy shadows, creaky doors. SHM2 is a fantastic "old spooky house" type flick. And I loved the supernatural stuff, Bloodthrill. Especially the wrong number scene. "Is Clive there? This is his wife. Put Clive on, please." "He's nawoht here...! He's nawht here!!" "I'm afraid he is, dear." Not exactly bone-chilling, but fun.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #729
crikan
HackMaster

FYI
Shout won't be re-releasing Sorority House Massacre 1 & 2 and Hard to Die. The OOP New Concorde releases have been very expensive but they are currently $12.95 direct from New Horizons via amazon.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #730
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
FYI
Shout won't be re-releasing Sorority House Massacre 1 & 2 and Hard to Die. The OOP New Concorde releases have been very expensive but they are currently $12.95 direct from New Horizons via amazon.
ADDED.
TO.
CART!!!.

Thank you. (Hope they stay available until I can get the money to buy them, I'm so damn beyond broke it's not funny.)
Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #731
hotbodynick
Victim

THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP!!!! Last time they had a bunch of these on there they were sold out by the time I got around to ordering them!! I just ordered "Stripped to Kill", "Sorority House Massacre" 1 & 2 double feature, and "Body Chemistry" 1 and 2 double feature.

Yes... I'm a perv.
hotbodynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #732
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
FYI
I've owned all 3 since they first came out on DVD, but that's cool that they've shown up again at decent prices.

I do see that they added some Munchies DVD's in stock, so I ordered one of those! A few bucks more expensive than the others...but still a good deal compared to what it usually sells for.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #733
Fall Break
Stalker

The same people are selling these on ebay. I got Hard to Kill for 10.99 and it was the only movie I was missing,
Fall Break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #734
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
I do see that they added some Munchies DVD's in stock, so I ordered one of those! A few bucks more expensive than the others...but still a good deal compared to what it usually sells for.
I ordered a copy of that right before it went out of print and it never arrived. I thankfully got my money back and was rather unhappy at the time. Then I rewatched it on YouTube and really disliked it. Glad I missed out on that opportunity. I remember enjoying it as a kid when I rented it but... wow, time is unkind to certain movies.

I can't believe they got Nadine Van Der Velde from Critters. And TheCutUp blogspot reviewer never mentioned that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall Break View Post
The same people are selling these on ebay. I got Hard to Kill for 10.99 and it was the only movie I was missing,
I don't know when you snagged that, but all the DVD copies of that movie I've come across on eBay were anywhere from 40-something to 70 bucks.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 11-24-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #735
MorallySound
There is no magic.

HELP A BROTHER OUT!

Again, just like last time, they don't ship to Canada....

If anyone will pick me up a Sorority House 1 & 2 Double-Feature (it's only $14.95!), I'll gladly pay them back and cover shipping!

Here's the direct link to the double-feature set: http://www.amazon.com/Sorority-House...13036&sr=1-108

Please PM me if interested!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote