Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #1126
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

We live in a society where people want stuff for free or really cheap. Many folks will balk at paying "full price" for movies, yet they'll easily blow $20 or $25 on a typical outing at a restaurant or bar.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #1127
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
We live in a society where people want stuff for free or really cheap. Many folks will balk at paying "full price" for movies, yet they'll easily blow $20 or $25 on a typical outing at a restaurant or bar.
You just described 99% of the population where i live. Everybody is greedy and wants to get rich quick. All the while they think they should be getting shit for free or dirt cheap. This sense of entitlement act alienates me from people.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #1128
Matt89
HackMaster

How is $20 too much for a blu-ray? That's a little more than an hour's pay.

~Matt
Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #1129
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
Okay, no offense but here's HALLOWEEN III - notice the price? Does it come with a DVD? Nope. So really, what's the issue again?

Okay so it's a special edition, but no specs have been confirmed for either of the other releases so they could have features making the price tag worth it as well.

I mean do we wanna talk how the VHS of both of these movies are selling for around $40 a piece? So $20 is too much to own them in a better format? I'm just trying to understand the logic here because the price point isn't really an issue, $20 is pretty standard for a Blu Ray, maybe $15 is the lowest I've seen for a new release of any title. So we're griping over $5?
The market sets these things. So if it sells well and the Shout Factory Blu-ray line continues, $20 is the correct price.

My expierence says its too much. Just to give my perspective. I purchased 73 US Blur-ays (not including TV show box sets) in 2011. Of those 73 I only purchased 5 for $19 or more. The overwhelming majority were less than $15. I doubt I'm alone.

-Kiss Me Deadly [The Criterion Collection] (1955) - $28 Amazon
-Blow Out [The Criterion Collection] (1981) - $19 Amazon
-Machete (2010) - $20 Target
-Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) - $19 Amazon
-Zombie [Blue Underground 2-Disc Ultimate Edition] (1979) - $19 Deep Discount

As for $20 being a standard for a new Blu-ray. Look at some of my recent "day one" purchases:

-Total Recall [Mind-Bending Edition] (1990) - $10 Amazon
-Red Scorpion [Blue Underground] (1989) - $15 Amazon
-Outland (1981) - $13 Deep Discount
-Blade 2 (2002) - $9 Deep Discount
-Blade (1998) - $10 Best Buy
-Missing in Action (1984) - $8 Wal-Mart
-Missing in Action 2: The Beginning (1985) - $8 Wal-Mart
-The Delta Force (1986) - $8 Wal-Mart

And let's stop calling people cheap. Things in this world have value. There's nothing wrong with with spending wisely.
crikan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #1130
crikan
HackMaster

One thing I forgot to mention before hitting the submit button. In 2012, $20 is a fairly common "day one" price for new releases, but not catalog titles. And most of the titles that are $20 on day one will likely be on sale for $10 within a year. That's not the case with Shout Factory. Their prices are extremely consistent even on sites like Deep Discount. So if you like these Scream Factory Blu-rays, might as well pick them up "day one" cause they aren't getting cheaper anytime soon.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #1131
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
As for $20 being a standard for a new Blu-ray. Look at some of my recent "day one" purchases:

-Total Recall [Mind-Bending Edition] (1990) - $10 Amazon
-Red Scorpion [Blue Underground] (1989) - $15 Amazon
-Outland (1981) - $13 Deep Discount
-Blade 2 (2002) - $9 Deep Discount
-Blade (1998) - $10 Best Buy
-Missing in Action (1984) - $8 Wal-Mart
-Missing in Action 2: The Beginning (1985) - $8 Wal-Mart
-The Delta Force (1986) - $8 Wal-Mart

And let's stop calling people cheap. Things in this world have value. There's nothing wrong with with spending wisely.
Okay let's run with the fact that you have spent no more than $15 on a Blu Ray catalog title last year. Good for you, I like hearing that people can find good deals.

But just because you found titles for under $15 doesn't mean that Blu Rays aren't still being released with a $20 price point and come out on sale with that price. Those deals while great are exceptional and aren't three of those Wal Mart, bare bones, exclusives? As opposed to these releases that have a ton of features?

I also want to throw out there that something like TOTAL RECALL is the second Blu Ray release of the film so a $10 price point makes more sense than anything considering they're going to want people enticed to buy, spending $20 on a Blu Ray you may already have with some new features doesn't really appeal to many.

I'm just saying the griping over these discs is ridiculous. I could understand it if they were barebones or were overly shitty transfers, then yeah sure - but you get what you pay for essentially. The work put into these discs shows, the features are extensive, the artwork is new yet faithful to the films, they didn't spare any expenses. So now we're complaining on spending money on stuff they put a lot of hard work into?

Everyone's pissed about RE-ANIMATOR looking like a shitty upconvert, well, did you notice that it's under $15? So what does that tell you? Same goes for anything Echo Bridge puts out, any disc that's priced around $5 from the day its released shouldn't be expected to deliver mind blowing results. I'm never disappointed in their releases because I never expect more than a so-so transfer with nothing on the disc. You get what you pay for in terms of that and I've never understood why anyone would complain.

But to each their own I suppose. I'm ordering all of these discs, can't wait to see them and check out the features they've put together.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #1132
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

You're also forgetting that Shout doesn't own these titles -- they had to license them out from a major Hollywood studio, which isn't cheap.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #1133
crikan
HackMaster

^^RED SCORPION ($15) is loaded with extras and has a top-notch transfer. I assume it was licensed from a major studio (Fox) as well.

Shout Factory is my favorite of the cult labels and I wish them nothing but the best. IMO, it's difficult to justify $20 on a blind buy (THE ISLAND, DEATH VALLEY), a double-dip (HALLOWEEN 2, DEADLY BLESSING) or titles I'm only luke warm on (TERROR TRAIN, HALLOWEEN 3). I'll be shocked if this line is sustainable at these prices. Maybe we'll start see decent sale prices on Shout Factory titles.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #1134
Egg_Shen
broomhead

I'm curious about the costs involved in manufacturing discs. Licensing, the costs of supplements and so on. Also, I suppose they have to take into consideration the amount of public interest for a given film, which will obviously affect their overall profit. Total Recall is quite cheap, but very popular. How many units are they going to sell of Death Valley? I don't like that picture, but if it was a favorite of mine I'd be pleased it was coming out. Bottom line, there's a special edition of Halloween III coming that I never imagined would exist. I'm OK with the $20 price tag.

Last edited by Egg_Shen; 09-06-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #1135
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

RED SCORPION was gleaned from Shapiro/Glickenhaus, with whom Don May had a deal in place to supervise the restoration of their catalog for international licensing. I'm sure this gave them some negotiating leverage. Others titles Synapse gained from this arrangement include MANIAC COP, FRANKENHOOKER, MCBAIN, SLAUGHTER OF THE INNOCENTS, BASKET CASE 2 & 3, etc.

It also has the same retail price as Shout's Scream Factory blus.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #1136
ronnie21
HackMaster

iam thankful death valley is coming out. its not the greatest movie. but i like it and wannasee it on blu ray. but ya know what beleive it or not. i wouldnt be that siked about it if it didnt include the original artwork...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #1137
Nailwraps
HackMaster

News from Scream's Facebook!:

"Wes Craven's underrated DEADLY BLESSING from 1981 is coming soon. More info to come in late Sept / early Oct."

and...

"Final extras for THEY LIVE coming soon... :-)"
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #1138
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
How is $20 too much for a blu-ray? That's a little more than an hour's pay.

~Matt
Well, in many some parts of europe the minium wage if 500 euros a month... that gives about 2,50 euros an hour, that translates into 3,15 USD.

So, $20 can be too much for a blu-ray, for some european folks that want to import.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #1139
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Well, in many some parts of europe the minium wage if 500 euros a month... that gives about 2,50 euros an hour, that translates into 3,15 USD.

So, $20 can be too much for a blu-ray, for some european folks that want to import.
Yeah well seeing as how these releases are region A "locked", Europe isn't exactly their market.

~Matt
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #1140
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Yeah well seeing as how these releases are region A "locked", Europe isn't exactly their market.

~Matt
Well, in Europe you can very easily find many region free players. Besides the well known manufacturers, every country has "white line" players, that are dedicated to specific stores, and all of them are region free.

I dare to say that in Europe we have more region free players than region locked, so, many of us do import region locked titles.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote