Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #1186
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Good question. Here's another one: Obviously it's not just MGM titles they're releasing, so are they going to "continue" the Corman line without assigning a banner or "Corman Collection" label? I'm still hoping they'll be able to reissue HARD TO DIE on Blu.
Actually, Cliff mentioned that they got The Nest from MGM. I know, New Concorde released the dvd before, but that's what he said. I guess that's why it's being included with the Scream Factory line and not the Corman one.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #1187
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Stoked for TerrorVision! Love that flick and have the soundtrack on vinyl as well.

The Nest I have on VHS and probably won't upgrade. I find it pretty 'meh'.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #1188
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical marsh View Post
Assuming they were allowed to rummage through the Empire Pictures catalog, maybe we'll get Ghoulies (and part II), Troll, Breeders, Dolls, Prison, Cellar Dweller, and whatever else MGM has kept buried.
I am convinced Cellar Dweller will never get a dvd or BD release anywhere, ever. It should've happened by now, somewhere. Glad I have that laser rip.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #1189
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Cliff at the Blu-ray forums says that non-horror MGM titles are also part of the deal! If that's the case then I hope they look into the DePatie-Freleng cartoons.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #1190
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Badass news...Both are awesome flicks. The Nest is gore galore...the mutant cockroach at the end gave me nightmares as a kid.

All hail Shout!
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #1191
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
MGM!

For the love of God, bring on Teen Witch!
LOL yes, I hear that's one of the worst movies ever made.

The Nest is an often overlooked gem and I'm glad to see Shout! hasn't looked past it. It would make a great double feature with The Thing in HD so hopefully we'll get a Blu-ray outta it. If Shout! goes after the Empire Pictures titles for Blu-ray I'll be ecstatic.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #1192
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
LOL yes, I hear that's one of the BEST movies ever made.
Fixed
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #1193
Katatonia
Master of Doom

TerrorVision? That's awesome news!

...and I second Teen Witch, I love that movie.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:01 AM   #1194
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

I wouldn't have guessed that The Nest was in the MGM library. It's not listed online as part of their website, but I was looking at that yesterday and figured it might be significantly incomplete. There's definitely a lot of potential to Shout having a deal with MGM. Lots of Blu-Ray upgrade potential and more than a few films that have never been released to DVD.

I hope Shout manages to snag the rest of the Phantasm series away from Anchor Bay. MGM controls the rights to the first film and I think they control the rights to the fourth film too. I know the VHS release for the third was handled by Universal, but I have no idea if they control the rights or not.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #1195
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
I hope Shout manages to snag the rest of the Phantasm series away from Anchor Bay. MGM controls the rights to the first film and I think they control the rights to the fourth film too. I know the VHS release for the third was handled by Universal, but I have no idea if they control the rights or not.
Anchor Bay has control of I, III, and IV. But you are right that MGM did have control of I and IV and Universal had III, but since Universal had no involovement other than distributing, Coscarelli had full control of III.

I consider Shout! to be the next Anchor Bay (I mean that as a good thing), so them getting to release independent libraries from MGM on DVD is now good enough for me.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #1196
skinnypuppy
Stalker

I hope they do special editions for The Brood and Scanners!
skinnypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #1197
fceurich39
HackMaster

The Video Dead finally??? the music rights have been cleared!!!
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #1198
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Anchor Bay has control of I, III, and IV. But you are right that MGM did have control of I and IV and Universal had III, but since Universal had no involovement other than distributing, Coscarelli had full control of III.

I consider Shout! to be the next Anchor Bay (I mean that as a good thing), so them getting to release independent libraries from MGM on DVD is now good enough for me.
Yeah, it's pure speculation on my part, I know, but MGM still has the first Phantasm listed on their website so they would seem to have some sort of stakes in that entry still. I just wonder if Shout!'s negotiations with Don Coscarelli may have involved more than just Phantasm II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypuppy View Post
I hope they do special editions for The Brood and Scanners!
Scanners could definitely use some love. As I recall the 2001 MGM dvd has really bad sync issues throughout the film.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #1199
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
Yeah, it's pure speculation on my part, I know, but MGM still has the first Phantasm listed on their website so they would seem to have some sort of stakes in that entry still.
MGM also lists Flash Gordon on their site and that film is owned by Universal (but to be fair, MGM has the TV rights for it). But now that you say it, maybe MGM still has TV rights for Phantasm I'm not sure. If anything though Phantasm II might convince Anchor Bay to release the other films (at the very least the first one by next year).
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #1200
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Neither Terrorvision nor The Nest were on my wish list, but I'm glad that others have received the news well. I'd rather see The Brood, The Burning, and Squirm on blu, if we're talking MGM titles.

On a related note - do we know if Deadly Blessing will be DVD only? I have the Arrow DVD, but would gladly upgrade for blu-ray!

Last edited by Kim Bruun; 09-16-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Kim Bruun is online now   Reply With Quote