Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 06-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #31
inkmachine
Stalker

wow...this is so very very sad. Who is in charge of this type of shit?? They need to pay better attention to what we're really asking for when we ask for better releases...sheesh

Jason Moore
Ink Machine Productions
inkmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:33 AM   #32
Katatonia
Master of Doom

It's indeed unfortunate, and Fox are idiots for doing this. I was hoping it wasn't true, but that just looks bad.

Unless the price goes down tomorrow and I get a pre-order guarantee refund, and it comes with a ticket to see Predators; I'll probably just return it to Amazon and get an exchange for the older Blu-ray. At least that is better than the old SD transfer, and has the film grain intact!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #33
crikan
HackMaster

I’m confused. Shouldn’t the people in charge of re-mastering films for home video be videophiles? This looks like an April fools joke. I almost want to buy it just so I can see it for myself. The real travesty is that this might be the last HD transfer of Predator we ever see.

Oh I hope they don’t screw up the Alien boxset.

Last edited by crikan; 06-29-2010 at 03:25 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #34
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Looking at the screen caps that sites are now posting I must say I'm pretty disgusted by the picture quality. Fox should do a recall and fix up the shit job they did.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #35
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
Oh I hope they don’t screw up the Alien boxset.
Excellent point.

The Home Theater Forum review also says it (Predator that is) looks pretty bad: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/prod...lu-ray/reviews

Old 06-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #36
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Why?

Fuck Fox, how can they have some great blu-rays (From Hell) and then ones like this, just a showcase for everything wrong with the format and how studios treat it.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my dvd after all. I was so hyped for this, now I'm only curious if I'll be able to sit through it and hoping either the library or Cocksucker get it as I can't justify buying after those reviews.

So Fox, why don't you want me to have my favorite movies? This is now both Predator films fucked to death with dnr on blu. That's 2 I would've bought if only they were watchable, and watchable isn't hard, just transfer the film to the fucking format without sending in some fucking kids who think they are artists and are helping the films by painting over them with this bullshit! How many fucking reviews will be followed by bitcxh seesions just like this before you fucking learn to leave it the fuck alone?!

And double-fuck what joe-sixpack says looks better. Joe is still watching a 13" black and white witrh rabbit ears, fucking cable is the space age for his intellect level. Joe likes the purty colors...

FUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #37
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Why?

Fuck Fox, how can they have some great blu-rays (From Hell) and then ones like this, just a showcase for everything wrong with the format and how studios treat it.
Final Post:

I mentioned in another thread studios treat Blu-Ray like a gimmick. I was greeted with several "BULLSHIT remarks" regarding my comments. OK whatever now your repeating what I said before.

If I want to deal with clowns I will go to the circus.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #38
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Final Post:

I mentioned in another thread studios treat Blu-Ray like a gimmick. I was greeted with several "BULLSHIT remarks" regarding my comments. OK whatever now your repeating what I said before.

Sure we are upset that Predator just got the shaft, but there are many films that have been treated with great care and expertise. According to blu-ray.com I own 163 titles and if you break down the boxsets into individual films I'm getting close to 200. Every one of those BD's look better than there DVD counterpart. There are more films getting treated like Blade Runner than there are Predator.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #39
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Sad news. Glad I didn't sell my old Predator Blu-ray.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #40
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Final Post:

I missed the other post/thread and definitly never hit you a "bullshit", after seeing shit like this how could I? I want your statement to be bullshit, no question, unfortunatly, it's isn't.

I just don't understand why some get awesome treatment, and others fuckeraroo'd like this one, within the same studio for fucksakes! I could undrestand if Fox fucked everything, but they don't, just ones I'm most interested in it seems.

My Fucking DVDS
Old 06-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #41
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Screw Fox, I sent the "Ultimate Cunter Edition" back to Amazon for a refund, and ordered the old Blu-ray version while it's still available cheaply.

I'm quite sure now that it'll be years before we see another (if ever better) version to see the film with. They aren't gonna correct this shit anytime soon.

And Dobby... Blu-rays are only as good as the transfer that's used. In this case, Fox used a "Digitally Fucked" transfer. Many other Blu-rays look fantastic.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #42
marcx
HackMaster

Just posted this at avs forumand thought 'd add it here as well...

Posts: 391 I watched this last night---and it is the most frustrating transfer yet--because there are moments when it looks great--and then moments were it looks like a wax museum. I will say though that the early scene where Arnold and Carl Weathers first meet up is definitely the transfer at it's worst. I don't think anything looked as bad as that scene, so don't judge the whole transfer based on those screenshots... However this is still a very probelmatic transfer, but as someone who hasn't watched Predator in a while I was still able to get wrapped up in and enjot the film. A shame though , because when it looks good...it just shows what could have been......
Old 06-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #43
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcx View Post
will say though that the early scene where Arnold and Carl Weathers first meet up is definitely the transfer at it's worst. I don't think anything looked as bad as that scene, so don't judge the whole transfer based on those screenshots...
Over the past couple years I've grown to appreciate film grain. I don't want Predator to look like Crank. So even when the characters don't look waxy, I'm guessing the lack of grain will be distracting.

It also doesn't help that the scene with Carl and Arnold arm wrestling is one the best in the whole film. "Pushing too many pencils?"

Last edited by crikan; 06-30-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #44
marcx
HackMaster

oh make no mistake--grain is gone--not lightened or lessened but 100% gone--so in no way do I think this trasgfer is right--just not all as bad as those early screengrabs.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #45
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcx View Post
oh make no mistake--grain is gone--not lightened or lessened but 100% gone--so in no way do I think this trasgfer is right--just not all as bad as those early screengrabs.
So you're saying the screens are as bad as it gets and the rest is "watchable" at least?

Errrr, I'm so torn. I have a morbid curiosty to see how this looks playing (reviews ripped Gladiator too, but it looked fine to me), but know to do that I have to buy it or obtain the disc somehow as the library won't bother with it (they have the first blu), and it's unlikely Blockbuster will carry it for rent (same reason).

Hopefully it's on sale for $15 first week with a $10 movie ticket for Predators, I'll gamble $5 but don't think I want to higher than that (I was prepared to go $30 before reviews).

My Fucking DVDS

Tags
predator blu