Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 07-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #61
Horrorphilly
Maniac

I caved in guy's and bought the new Predator blu.The Ten buck ticket for the new Predators movie made it easier.The original doesn't looks that bad, I never saw it before today.It did look slick though.

sean
Horrorphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #62
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Wow, I'm so frustrated after watching this. It would go from wax to awesome and back again 5 times in a scene it seemed. So fucking inconsistant, but they finally cleared up that always fucked shot of Bill Duke talking to Arnold about Ventura after he got smoked. The "He was a good soldier" - "He was a friend" exchange.

Frustrating that it could've been an awesome overall job, but they fucked it in so many parts. If you don't mind wax, the movie has never looked better.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #63
Terry44
Victim

Bought mine before i knew it looked like a waxwork show. It sold on ebay for the price that i paid (so thats not to bad)
Worse thing is i sold the Japanese corrected mpeg 2 Blu ray version a few weeks ago and it looked better compared to the new one
Terry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #64
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

The worst part of this whole fiasco is that there are A LOT of people who think that the transfer looks great! Fox is going to think they did a good job, other studios will follow suit and we'll start getting more and more DNR-wrecked nightmare Blu-rays. Once again, the ignorant will ruin a beloved format of mine. FUCK!!!

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 AM   #65
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Not everyone is unhappy with the blu-ray.

From Dread Central:

Quote:
The treatment (i.e., the remastering of both the image and the sound) we have here is nothing short of amazing. Every conceivable detail is presented here in stunning clarity with a color palette that pops like you wouldn't believe.
Kind of funny. Maybe they got a different copy?
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #66
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen View Post
Sadly, they didn't get a different copy. This is EXACTLY what I was talking about in my above post. People are so deluded as to what high definition is, that they want EVERY single movie to look as crystal clear and 3D-like as the latest Pixar Blu-ray. They just don't get it. And, sadly, this is only going to change the Blu-ray landscape for the worst. And, truthfully, if this is the future of catalog titles on BD, then count me out. I'll sell off my player and my collection. I'm out. But, hopefully, that won't be the case. The studios need to take the time to educate these people as to what HD is supposed to be, when it comes to movies. Instead of giving into their ignorant demands (like they did with pan & scan), explain to them why there is grain and why it's important. People want these movies to look a certain way and they don't seem to care that they're not supposed to look that way. DNRing the shit out of a movie, brightening it up, oversaturating it and making it look like a soap opera isn't the way to go. It's just as bad as colorizing B&W films because ignorant fuckers think B&W is stupid. Or poorly dubbing a foreign movie because the average Joe six-pack is too stupid and lazy to read subtitles. Or, putting a movie in pan & scan because some schmuck wants the picture to fill his whole screen. It's pandering of the worst kind. At the very least, the studios need to do what they did with DVD and offer a choice. If you're going to ruin older films with excessive DNR, then at least offer a separate Blu-ray that hasn't been fucked with. That way, the morons get the bullshit that they want and us true film fans can have the movie the way it was fucking meant to be seen. Plus, isn't their some retarded filter on 120hz and higher HDTVs that makes all movies look like crappy video? Why can't people just use that option?!

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

Last edited by Kolpitz; 09-12-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #67
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen View Post
Same copy. Some people will be amazed that it looks more like a pristine animated video game now instead of a film. I've seen a couple of reviews now that have said it looks "amazing" and I wonder what the hell they were smoking.

DNR should be used sparingly if it absolutely must be used. Fox took a steaming DNR shit on Predator, and didn't wipe.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #68
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

God, I'm so glad I didn't bite on picking this up for $15 the other day at Best Buy without having read a review first. Have releases like the Rambo trilogy and Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 taught these companies nothing in regards to how older films should look on the format?? What a bummer.

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #69
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Take a look at some comparisons between the US Blu-Rays.:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...ch=predator_b1

I look at some and to be honest, the DVNR isn't that bad. Granted at sometimes it does, but I don't think it was bad as people said it did.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #70
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Take a look at some comparisons between the US Blu-Rays.:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...ch=predator_b1

I look at some and to be honest, the DVNR isn't that bad. Granted at sometimes it does, but I don't think it was bad as people said it did.
It is bad but what makes it worse is there are scenes where it goes from one shot that is crystal clear to another that is a blurry mess. These scenes of inconsistent quality happen throughout the entire film so you are constantly noticing the transfer and not the film.

There is no mistaking these problems. People that claim it isn't bad must not watch many blu-rays, have terrible vision, a tiny TV, or just want to be on the opposite side of an argument. I understand we can all have different opinions, but this is like someone telling you that water isn't wet.

Last edited by crikan; 07-09-2010 at 03:32 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #71
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

When I say it wasn’t that bad, I meant there were scenes that I generally thought looked awesome...the jungle itself looked fantastic. As did Predator's neon blood. Just look at the 8th screecap at the caps-a-holic site...minus the wonky flesh tones, that particular jungle shot looks beautiful.

Of course it’s obvious this is one clusterfuck of a presentation, I was just picking out the positives to what could have been a breathtaking disc if done correctly.

One scene I absolutely cringed at is this one:

…awwww, Carl Weathers looks like a baby sea lion.

Last edited by Chomp; 07-09-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #72
Harry Warden
HackMaster

I hadn't any clue about this new edtion and the extensive DNR used with this release. I was thrilled with the news that this was coming out, but after reading many of the posts here, I will keep the first Blu release of Predator and hold off. I'm all for eliminating grain if it's distracting as hell, but not for the sake of making film look like Toy Story. This is really too bad. I was looking forward to buying this on sale at Best Buy, but I'll pass.
Harry Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:40 AM   #73
Grim
HackMaster

Fuck that one of Arnold looks like they put him into Final Fantasy XIII or something. I'll be holding onto my original blu-ray, which I didn't think looked that bad to begin with. Predator has always been grainy as fuck and looked like shit. I think it's kind of reflective of the modestly budgeted, gritty conditions they were working in. Still, I'd rather take tons of grain and print damage than wax sculptures.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:59 AM   #74
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Was this remastered scene by scene?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:36 AM   #75
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

A week or so ago, my friend bought the Blu-ray and told me about how GREAT (his capital letters, not mine) it looked. We proceeded to get into a Facebook back-and-forth about it, with me (obviously) being against this disc. So, I went over to his place tonight so he could show me how wrong I was. Suffice it to say that I ended up changing his mind. Good God, does this Blu-ray suck ass. I was against it simply by looking at screen grabs and reading the reviews. From the reviews alone, I knew this disc went up against all of my Blu-ray preferences. After seeing it, I'm simply appalled by Fox's laziness at mastering this disc. They clearly have no idea how to properly re-master an older film for Blu-ray. The DNR is obviously the biggest problem with this transfer. But, it's also overly bright, vibrant and slick-looking. They clearly don't remember how Predator is supposed to look. There was a happy medium that could've been achieved here, with the grain reduced (but still present) and the image cleaned up (but not made to look like video), without making it look like an artificial, waxy mess. Just to spite this release, I went out and picked up the 2008 Blu-ray. I suggest everyone else do the same.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

Tags
predator blu