Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Euro Horror

Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #91
Ash28M
HackMaster

Just checked it out and honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. The setting looked great, good atmosphere, gore and the lack of colour manipulation was refreshing. Sure the CGI was terrible but I hate all CGI, so that didn't bother me. The acting wasn't great but name me an Argento film that is known for it's great acting. Again that didn't bother me. There were hookey scenes but I come to expect that in Argento's later works. Like what Suicide said, it wasn't boring. It held my attention and seeing Argento direct Asia in nude scenes, makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. What more can I say, I felt it was your average Argento modern film. Cheesy, a flew elements of what used to make him great but still entertaining.

Last edited by Ash28M; 03-20-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #92
hots4
Stalker

i've managed to watch to the end now and it's still shit, there was only one scene i enjoyed it made this painfull experience at lease worth while and it's dracula's revenge scene on the locals, won't say anymore apart from it's a great fun scene and the practical effects were great, apart from that one scene it is a boring mess.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #93
sade
Screamy Bopper

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. As someone said before in this thread, I had to stop watching the first time after 50 mins. The music & the sets vary throughout the movie from pretty decent to awful. The acting is horrible, and it sounds like Dario is still recording all the dialogues in the studio, which is very distracting.

I guess I've lost all hope that one day any of my favs directors (D.Lynch/J.Carpenter/D.Argento/D.Cronenberg) will ever release anything good again.
sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #94
x666x
HackMaster

Yeah, I officially gave up on Romero and Argento. I don't want to tarnish my view of them anymore. I also do not want to spend my spare time watching bad movies when I can be watching better ones, or go for a walk, even.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #95
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Saw this a few nights ago and wasn't impressed. It's sad to see a master like Argento amount to this. The whole thing felt like a tv movie. The colour pallet was so bland it was surprising to even thing Argento was involved. No bright and colourful lighting in this one. Also, no inventive camera angles. It was all so standard I could only make it an hour in before deciding to skim through the rest.

I will say that the effects weren't atrocious. Sure they were bad and didn't fit the film but that was because they looked cartoony. They were well rendered and looked alright in a Who Framed Rodger Rabbit kind of way. The effect that bugged me were the flies; so unnecessary.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #96
X-human
I ate my keys

Eh, it wasn't THAT bad. Certainly not recommendable but if it was a film student's first effort I'd say they definitely had potential for steady work for SyFy Channel and they might even surprise us in the future; therein lies the problem. This isn't up and comers gaining their footing this is a seasoned pro losing his. As has already been stated the lighting is colorless and blown out. The framing is very flat 2D looking like a Mario side-scroller. The music gave it more of an Ed Wood feel then anything else. There's a lot of little things in here that seem like mistranslations almost and it felt like the film got a little lost in parts. Hauer's action scenes really stood out as lackluster compared to all the other fast action and ambitious scenes. It just played like a Europeans' delayed reaction to Coppola's Dracula.

Still it feels like Argento tried here with a somewhat original script and overall I liked a lot of the acting choices. I didn't even mind the flies so much.
Spoiler:
The praying mantis was a bit much but if they had restructured that to be the female vampire biting a dude's head off it could have worked.
Even the 50's sci-fi music cues grew on me after awhile; especially after they mixed in some more strings. There was much here that felt so close yet so far away from being good. A tweak here and some massaging there really could have helped this along.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?

Last edited by X-human; 04-22-2013 at 04:40 AM.
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #97
marcx
HackMaster

Review up on my blog--I enjopyed it:

http://living24fps.wordpress.com/201...os-dracula-3d/
Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #98
Mok
Helena Harper

I watched this over the weekend and was mildly entertained. However the whole production kind of had a strange sega-cd like feel. What I mean is, remember when cd-based video games first came out? They had some digitized videos used as cut-scenes. This film felt kind of like that somehow.

I'm not quite sure what I can fault Argento with here. I can't pinpoint what he did wrong, or to put it more accurately, what he did any different than he usually does. I think I'll give it another viewing before really deciding.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #99
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
However the whole production kind of had a strange sega-cd like feel. What I mean is, remember when cd-based video games first came out? They had some digitized videos used as cut-scenes. This film felt kind of like that somehow.
That´s the exact same thing I was thinking, watching this turd
Old 01-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #100
The Chaostar
Johnny Hallyday forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
Is it worse than his Phantom of the Opera?
Phantom is a masterpiece compared to this piece of shit. I was there at the first screening at Cannes Film Festival. I kept asking myself "Why am I doing this?".

There Is No Freedom, Wake Up.
The Chaostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:18 AM   #101
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaostar View Post
Phantom is a masterpiece compared to this piece of shit. I was there at the first screening at Cannes Film Festival. I kept asking myself "Why am I doing this?".
I liked it MUCH MORE than Phantom!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #102
Christy
Victim

Have to agree with The Chaostar excellent commentary. Dracula is depressing please Argento no more movies!
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #103
Crystal Plumage
Dig me..but don't bury me

Well, he's not finished yet. MacBeth is next:
http://zombiehamster.com/entertainme...ed-on-macbeth/
Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #104
Crystal Plumage
Dig me..but don't bury me

Dracula was OK in my book. I didn't particularly like the look of it, but at least it had some of that old Italian Gothic to it.
Rutger Hauer was underused IMO.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #105
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
Well, he's not finished yet. MacBeth is next:
http://zombiehamster.com/entertainme...ed-on-macbeth/
That will an opera not a movie. Thank god!